1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Flagship shoes are probably PA(black), McAllister (burgundy) and Strands(Walnut). Other nominations may include the Leeds, Daltons, 5th avenue, Dundees and MacNeils.

My current personal favorite is the Williams.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Just placed an order for the golden brown Maritimes, bringing me to a grand total of 4 - Green, Navy, Red and Golden Brown. I'm not too worried about them not being recraftable since I'll be rotating 4 pair, it'll take a looooooong time to wear through them. And it's letting me kick my Sperries to the curb (not enough padding for serious walking), and my AE Eastports (not flexible enough, cause blisters when sockless). Between the nice padding, super soft pliable leather, nice stitching and beauty of the chromexcel leather, the Maritimes are the best boat shoes I've ever worn. For $125 a pop, it's crazy not to stock up, especially since pretty much ALL I wear in the summer here in Denver is nice shorts/shirts and boat shoes.

1 person likes this.
  3. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

I have the brick colored PP boots from that same sale and I agree, best $125 spent on a recraftable AE shoe, ever. Well, except for maybe the brown suede Gobi's. The thing I love about AE, if you are the least bit stylistically adventurous, you can pick up some pretty phenomenal models on yearly or seasonal clearance. Stone suede Amoks and the brown Cronmoks, same thing - amazing shoes that are a lot of fun and bought for a pittance.

4. unsuitable

unsuitable Well-Known Member

I agree, I have "made nice" with a SA at one of the banks and she helps my poor budget go a long way (I should probably send her a bottle of something one day).

I think that AE has a hard time changing as a brand and too many wonderful shoes end up surplus. I think the same type of consumers that are sticklers for US made shoes my be highly resistant to changes in style (says a man who embodies both of these quirks to some degree). I may be resistant to change but I am not immune to good design and great style.

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hear hear! When all is said and done, I will have two pairs of Maritimes (golden brown and navy) and a pair of dark brown Kirkwoods (I already have a ~golden brownish colored pair of made-in-Maine Sperry beefroll loafers with a boat sole [pictured below], so I think a golden brown Kirkwood may be too redundant).

I also have a pair of dark brown Sperry A/Os, which is sort of preventing me from pulling the trigger on a pair of dark brown CXL Maritimes . . .

Sperry MiM:

[​IMG]

6. nepats81

nepats81 Senior member

How should I size the Kirwoods/Maritimes? I wear 9.5 D in the Park Aves

7. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

How do the Cronmoks fit?
    I see a pair is available that is one width narrower than my normal 65 last fit. (Actually one width narrower than my left foot. My right foot is a little smaller, and I think going down a width would be fine.)
    Do you think it would work?

8. BackInTheJox

I'm going down a half size, but I'd like to hear others' opinions as well.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

In case this helps anyone decide on the size, I normally take a 7D on the 65 last, but since they had enough in stock, I was able to try 6.5E, 7D, 7.5C and 8B - I would say the 7D fit marginally better than the rest but I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference. In the Kirkwood I took a 7D and it fit fine.

Just to clarify - I have (among others) - the PA, Black Hills, McTavish, Neumok, Rush Street & Jefferson and they are all 7D.

1 person likes this.
  10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

As much as I love my Graysons & Jermyns, the 97 last is like that girl from the Butterfly Effect - like poison for me. Super sleek, and I love everything they produce on it but it just doesn't work for me. Trying to avoid this last from now on.

Speaking of the Dalton, I definitely like the look of it but have never really been happy with the fit - they were incredibly painful for the longest time and took forever to break in, and even now they're still just "ok". I just tried a bunch of stuff on the 73 last and all I can say is WOW, what a difference. They may not look as sleek, but if anyone doesn't already own them, I would strongly recommend the Shaker Heights - way more comfortable.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Definitely off-topic, but just tried on some SMU Kenilworth with a McTavish double oak sole and wanted to comment. I'm pretty sure I tried the original Kenilworth back when it was newer but had forgotten about it until now. What a botched design - they are like a really dressy version of the black hills - super elongated, almost too much, but with only 3 sets of eyelets it's like the heel bowing could cause the back of the shoe to literally collapse out from under you. Shame really - they were really comfortable and not bad looking either. Was the Lexington or Jodox supposed to have replaced these?

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Hmmm. I adore mine. No Bowing at all.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

They are a little bit snug in my 8.5d normal size. But, the leather is so soft and flexible (and thin) that it really doesn't matter. I'd say just go with your regular size.

14. BackInTheJox

Damn. I tried to order one last pair of Maritimes for my brother for his birthday. As of 11:50PM Eastern Time, the red "sale" banner was still up on the site and when you clicked on the sale page that showed all the shoes on sale, it showed the Maritimes (and Kirkwoods) as being on sale for $125 still. I went to add the shoe to my cart after picking the size/width, but it appears in the cart as full price, $175.

I emailed them to see if they'd still be able to honor the sale price of $125 (I did not purchase them tonight at the $175 price). Really hoping they can since the sale should have still been live.

15. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Man.. I wore these shoes for 10 mins at home today. I like the shoe and fit but the issue is the squeaking sound, air whooshing sound. Its been consistent for every step. Damn, I hope it goes away after break in, I don't want to return these shoes for this reason. Anyone has experience on this issue?

16. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I've been away for a while. Any idea why AE had discontinued the Patriot? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy to collect seconds at $129. But this is a classic design in a last that fits me better than any other. What gives?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  17. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Thank you.
    There are none available in my regular width. I was hoping that the ones that were one size narrower would work. It sounds like those would be too tight for my left foot.

18. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Nice - I would agree, they look good. Tying back to that earlier thread, the creasing at the front actually makes these look better rather than worse. I honestly didn't know what I would have done with them - solid black, bluchers on the 65 last, and pre-creasing they do look really long and plain. They might have worked but I wasn't willing to take the chance on the potential bowing in the back. Maybe I'll come back to them, never know....

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I'd say ditch the email and make a phone call - I would normally recommend the Freeport outlet but they were swamped and the phone was ringing off the hook so you might have trouble getting through. If you talk to them I think you'll be more likely to get the price you want. I noticed they aren't too keen about doing this stuff in writing.

I do think you guys are taking this boat shoe thing a little too far - when we have another record breaking winter, I want to see pics of everyone's red kirkwoods wearing them at Christmastime.

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I ended up keeping the same length, but dropping down from D to B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.