• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

green garden

Reaction score
Thoughts on the new Webgems?
If it was a suede/leather combo, maybe it would work. Or maybe it it were sold to a tropical country.

What works for me is that fact that there is now a double monk in the 5 last. This opens up possibilities for me on MTOs.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine surprising didn't have much on them. However, the left shoe has more of a matte finish than the right shoe (which has a glossy finish). I prefer the glossy finish.

Any ideas? I tried Reno, but that seemed to give it even more of a matte finish. Maybe some Saphir Cordovan cream?

I like to use Reno pretty much only as a cleaner now, though it's nice for a quick refresher on shoes. VSC works really well to condition and shine imo but I have found that you can follow with a thin layer of Saphir neutral cordovan cream for a bit more shine and protection. (I only have neutral but want to get all the colors eventually)

I will say that the neutral cream did seem to leave a bit of a whitish haze by the end of the day of wear. I suspect using a colored one might help with that, maybe that is why neutral is something they say to avoid on shell.

I think there is more polish on there than you think. Keep at this routine: wipe down with a damp cloth and let dry; apply renovateur; brush like a mad man. It may take a few weeks of this before you get down to the bare shell. When that occurs, I would consider adding Saphir cordovan creme, but you should not need it to moisturize new shoes.

I kind of agree that their might be more. My technique was using a cloth, reno and generous rubbing to get it all off my Dundees. They were a bit dry after about three rounds of that over a month period.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole is rock hard, actually. It's definitely time to replace the heels and as far as I could tell from looking at other's photos, it might be time to resole. However, I must admit I'm doing so somewhat blindly as I haven't resoled before. I was going to take them into the local AE shop and get their opinion before sending them in.

I would not re-sole those personally.. Either add a sole guard and new heel or just new heel...and get some edge dressing on them :)

jch1

Reaction score
I like to use Reno pretty much only as a cleaner now, though it's nice for a quick refresher on shoes. VSC works really well to condition and shine imo but I have found that you can follow with a thin layer of Saphir neutral cordovan cream for a bit more shine and protection. (I only have neutral but want to get all the colors eventually)

I will say that the neutral cream did seem to leave a bit of a whitish haze by the end of the day of wear. I suspect using a colored one might help with that, maybe that is why neutral is something they say to avoid on shell.

I kind of agree that their might be more. My technique was using a cloth, reno and generous rubbing to get it all off my Dundees. They were a bit dry after about three rounds of that over a month period.
So what did you use to re-moisturize them? I've got a pair of cordo patriots that look completely beat, and nothing seems to be working to replenish any type of shine.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what did you use to re-moisturize them? I've got a pair of cordo patriots that look completely beat, and nothing seems to be working to replenish any type of shine.

I use Saphir's neutral cordovan creme to moisturizre and shine my shell shoes. Unlike Renovateur, it actually puts moisture back into the shell.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use Saphir's neutral cordovan creme to moisturizre and shine my shell shoes. Unlike Renovateur, it actually puts moisture back into the shell.

+1, I do the same.

Exactly what these guys said. I would also add that I have had good success using VSC as a conditioner too, and even Lexol (use at own risk because it will hydrate very well but can be tougher to shine, not sure if it darkens lighter colors either as I have only used it on my brown Dundees and Lindricks)

I find Reno to clean ok but condition poorly, in fact can be kind of drying over time.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it was a suede/leather combo, maybe it would work.  Or maybe it it were sold to a tropical country.

What works for me is that fact that there is now a double monk in the 5 last.  This opens up possibilities for me on MTOs.  

The thing about the monk that bugs me (besides the pinking) is the strap doesn't seem to come across the shoe far enough. Does that big anyone else?

I DID leave a message for Allison about the austerity brogue, though. :)

(Not that I don't have enough wingtips between McAllister, McTavish, Jefferson, Regent street, Long Branch, and a MacNeil on the way)

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^

I have the same issue with my monks and the reason i stopped wearing them all togather

I like my neumoras. The buckles are much further down the side of the shoe than in that webgem picture. Hmmm.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed some threads on the cap of my Strands were frayed when I was brushing today, what should I do? Is it something to worry about?

Also learning why AE cakes on the product possibly... This was after a round of cleaning the extra polish off with Reno, revealing some interesting splotches and dark areas. We'll see if I can get them to even out a little over time or if they are going to become more prominent as more polish comes off.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about what looks like a wetspot/salt damage.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
That happens on my Cambridge. The fraying. I think it is actually caused by vigorous brushing.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed some threads on the cap of my Strands were frayed when I was brushing today, what should I do? Is it something to worry about?

Also learning why AE cakes on the product possibly... This was after a round of cleaning the extra polish off with Reno, revealing some interesting splotches and dark areas. We'll see if I can get them to even out a little over time or if they are going to become more prominent as more polish comes off.

That is exactly what happened to my Dundee's.

I agree that appears to be water or salt damage as well.

I stripped the extra polish off and then something like caramel and chocolate swirling emerged underneath, which, I liked.

photo-38_zps184b5fb8.jpg

The color is actually very nice!!!

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about what looks like a wetspot/salt damage.

I don't think it's salt damage but does look like some polish that may have dried and stained the leather after it was wet. The pictures are all under bright LED lights so under normal conditions all the spots are fairly minor. I think I can get most of them to even out with more Reno, I am also picking up some colored Saphir cordovan cream in the near future.

Having most of my shoes be AE makes me want to invest in some Renomat.

That happens on my Cambridge. I think it is actually caused by vigorous brushing.

I guess I better avoid that section, I only brushed them for the first time tonight so don't want to make it worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads