Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Great pictures, and nice coloration on your walnut Daltons, too. Here are mine: [​IMG]

2. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

[​IMG] very nice, piqued my interest in the Daltons as well

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

3. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

does anyone has experience with this sole? Is it good in the rain?

[​IMG]

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Better than full leather sole in the rain... just like any rubber-soled shoes. To me, it looks like AE's version of Dianite.

5. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

would they a little more durable than leather sole or they are just about the same?

btw, it really looks like topy to me, if it's more of a topy then won't it destroy the leather itself quicker than without it?

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think this is closest to Dainite for AE.

They are definitely grippier than full leather soles. Not sure how the ones tv2177 fair though.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

That does look like the Dainite half sole. Nick at B. Nelson is the only one in the US to install those that I am aware of. Was considering those for my Dalton boots at one time. The AE Malverin comes standard with the full length Dainite soles like Winston S posted.

The whole half sole or sole protector topic can be a heated debate. They do last longer than leather soles but I like my leather soles, well most of the time. The Dainite many people liked but for ice and packed snow do not provide much if any advantage. The one thing that turned me away from them was a couple of people saying that when coming in from outside and they were wet they were extremely slick on tile and marble.

8. Storm33

Storm33 Senior member

+1 . . . I wore my John Lobbs with Dainite soles to a restaurant with tile floors on Sunday. I walked in from a wet sidewalk and about busted my ass on the tile.

Prior to this I had always thought Dainite soles provided superior traction. They perform quite well on wet pavement, but the tile floor felt like it was greased until my shoes dried out.

[/thread hijack]

I love Allen Edmonds; can't wait for my black shell Park Aves to get here! I wish the brown shells were on sale...

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

They are not sole guards (AKA topy) but sort of like Alden's commando soles. I think there are a number of the AE's Brooks Brothers shoes that have this type of sole. I have a handful of shoes with sole guards they don't 'destroy' any leather on my shoes. AE has used these type of half-sole guard style soles before. I used to have a pair of AE Easton (I think that was the name) that had pretty much the same sole except instead of the dots, they were thin commando style soles.

Regarding wet rubber then moving to a smooth surface (i.e., tile), I think most soles, leather, (some) rubber, plantation crepe, etc., will not guarantee no-slip. Ultimately I think it is the combination of the slipper surface and moisture.

10. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

so I guess the difference is really personal preference over practicability?

11. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

Allen Edmonds Jefferson...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I say both. about 20% of my shoes have sole guards or are rubber sole so during rainy days I wear those with rubber bottoms. I also have overshoes in my office just in case. My preference is leather sole for my dress shoes but I am flexible enough to wear otherwise.

13. ManCrush

ManCrush Well-Known Member

I've got Vibram soles on the bottom of my AE's and C&J's (along with metal heel protectors). I like the look of a brand new leather sole, but it only takes one day of walking on the pavement to turn that beautiful looking sole into a grey and black mess. I won't have nice shoes without them. The Vibrams have saved me from busting my ars on more than one occasion, but the metal protectors are another matter (gotta be more careful).

Oh, just ordered the AE walnut/cream Broadstreet. I've got plenty of black and cordovan dress shoes so figured, 'What the hell.' I think they're ballsie. [​IMG]

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I was just admiring the Broad Street while browsing the anniversary sale and walnut/cream would be my choice. Sounds great. Not quite sure of my sizing in AE, otherwise I think I'd pick something up. Guess I do have until the end of the month, and it is actually possible for me to go to an AE store, so...

15. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

Just ordered my first pair of AE's, the McAllister, because at $250 it's too good to pass up. Looking forward to getting them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.