1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clb89

clb89 Member

[​IMG]

merlot is beautiful

1 person likes this.
  2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you for the kind words Pepper. I couldn't bring myself to put a spoiler on those Dundee's, your right they are darkening nicely and look great! I really don't need any more Dundee's but I am jealous of those....

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Haha!! I was thinking about you when the trunk sale was going on, wknderingvifvyiu were going to add navy and green to your collection! ;)

Care to repost your famous lineup photo so all the newcomers can behold its glory?

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Seconded. Welcome back! [​IMG]

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

My assistant just told me Father's Day isn't this Sunday but the NEXT Sunday. I had told my kids they could vote on the color of my new Maritimes, then I'd get them but wrap them up for Father's Day. Now I have to wait an extra week to wear them.[​IMG]

In other news, here's a PSA: JAB has put on sale six AE models, including the Boardroom (PA on the #7 last) and Nathan (Fifth Ave) for $280.25. That's over $100 off from AE MSRP for the math challenged.

Only down side is that there seems to be limited lengths and only D widths. Still, if someone has a need to fill and a size that works, that's pretty good pricing.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The thought did cross my mind, several times a day LOL! But I just couldn't see myself wearing navy or green with anything that I own. Others have pulled it off but I work in a very conservative environment. I really need to update this picture now that they have some age and sunlight on them.

[​IMG]

Burgundy, Black, Walnut, Brown, and Cappuccino (Truffle) Shell

2 people like this.
  7. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I have finally decided that its time to part with a couple of pairs of my AEs. Try as I might, I just dont get a great fit. So, I thought I would check here and see if there was any interest from the group before I put them on B&S or Ebay.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but I have Brown Shell Cordovan Strands and Burgundy Shell Cordovan MacNeils, both in 10.5C.

They are in great shape, look basically new, and neither has been worn more than 10 times, but I went ahead and brushed off all the AE gunk for whoever ends up being the new owner...

8. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Thanks.. is the Nathan Burgandy is the Dark Chili of AE Fifth Ave? http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I'd be surprised if that were true. They've offered that in burgundy for quite a while whereas Dark Chili or Bob's Chili is relatively new.

10. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Polished my shoes. Everything turned out well, thanks to those who replied.

I bought the saphir polish and not creams, but it seems my skills are limited unlike other members when it comes to getting that mirror shine.

My shoes look great don't get me wrong but when I look at others who get a better shine, it makes me wonder what I"m doing wrong.

I'm not expert on shoe shinning so I went on youtube and found J.fitzpatrick tutorial on how to get that mirror shine with the 3 step water process.

Also, I bought some edge dressing and WOW what an improvement! It literally transformed my shoes back to looking brand new.

11. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

Nathan is the Fifth Avenue on the 108 last instead of the 65 last. Burgundy is not dark chili; it's a dark red with no orange tones. If you have a wider forefoot and no experience with 108, I'd suggest trying on 108 in person before buying.

12. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Okay thanks. Anyone has experience if JosOB will give different sizes outside of D width?

13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I also have a very wide forefoot (EEE) and high instep. I tried on a pair of Clifton's, also made on the 108 last, and I was very pleased with the fit. No guarantees on your fit, but I did better on the 108 than many of the other lasts, especially the 65. Hope this may help.

14. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

They used to. They also used to carry them in stores but now it seems they only sell online. Also - these will drop down closer to $200 a few times a year if you aren't in a hurry to buy.

15. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

This is the mesage from JosB
    Shoes are drop-shipped from our vendor and require 2-3 weeks for delivery.

So, why not offer other widths as well if they need to order it from AE eventually..

16. peppercorn78

That's odd. This must have changed very recently, because they absolutely used to carry all the JAB styles in full size/width run. This probably means that AE doesn't want to have their DR factory spend the time and resources to pre-make the uppers in the extended widths anymore. Maybe they aren't selling as quickly. Or maybe it's just more cost-cutting. I've been wondering how long until AE basically cancels the extended widths for all but their most basic, best-selling shoes (Park Ave, McAllister, etc). There are so few options remaining for us wide and narrow-footed folk. Alden makes shoes in extra wide sizes, but most of their retail partners (epaulet, unionmade, jcrew, etc) won't stock them. Once AE eventually abandons us (and I predict they will eventually), where can we go? They choices will basically be Clark's or bespoke makers with nothing in between.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  17. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Keneth cole and cole Haan :)

18. peppercorn78

I know you're joking, but even Cole Haan only offers like 3 or 4 basic dress shoes in wide.

Many longtime customers discovered AE primarily because it was one of the only options for wide fittings.

19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Alden DC can get you extra wide shoes in most styles. They don't have an insane return policy either. They can drop ship anything from Alden's warehouse. TheShoeMart also can get a lot of shoes in extra wide for you.

20. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I've been meaning to walk in some day. Its like 5 mins from my apt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.