1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Agreed. When I wear a T shirt I don't even think I wear dress shoes or even semi dress. I could possibly try it though, see how it would look.

2. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

For strictly casual wear Acorn Hillfire and the rough leather Strandmok are both excellent - the pics online don't really capture how cool these shoes look in real life.

1 person likes this.
  3. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

+1 on the CXL, but I agree with Quixote. The stock laces just chew up the leather, so you should have a pair of cotton laces ready.

4. esantosnyc

esantosnyc Member

How do you guys feel about stretching your AE's for width? I was measured at an AE store and was told I was an 11.5D. Three AE pairs later I am regretting not getting them in wider size. Should I stretch them or sell them at a loss and buy new ones at the correct size? Thanks!

5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Depends on how tight they are. You can take them to the AE store to get them stretched for free. Do one pair first to see if that will help.

6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

And depends what shoes they are. I'd help you take that loss for the right 11.5 D...

7. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

I've stretched a pair to another width. Not perfect, but much much better fitting than before.

8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If it's a model that's relatively easy to get, I wouldn't bother with stretching. Sell them, get the size you need, and chalk it up to "lesson learned".

9. esantosnyc

esantosnyc Member

I think i'll give stretching a try. For the curious, the shoes are a Black Park Avenue, Bourbon Fifth Ave, and a Walnut Strand. All the essentials!

10. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Any love for the green kirkwood? I have too many brown shoes...

11. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

I have one foot larger than the other, so most of my (left) shoes get stretched. The AE store is very gracious about doing it for me.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I also have very low volume feet and an option the Shoe Snob failed to mention in the link you posted is to take up additional volume with inserts. AE used to and may still sell Superfeet Men's Superfeet Delux Men's Insoles Three-quarter Length for dress shoes. They work very well for me in most cases. Some of my more favorite casual AE footwear still in production are the Leeds and Wilbert which fit me with the Superfeet inserts. The Dundee works also and the the Patriot is the first loafer I found that fits my low volume feet. Most of my shoes are shell if the option exists but calf will fit about the same if not just a little bit less volume. The 7 last works for me too and the Macneil Longwing is a classic worth looking at for a bit dressier casual wear. The 5 last fits me the best of all, like it was made for my feet, but as you have found most shoes on the 5 last are balmorals. All of the above work well for me using the Superfeet dress insoles however. Would think the Insoles are worth a try if you have not already done so.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

While on the topic of comfort, inserts and flat feet... I apologize in advance for the layman terms here.

Does anyone have issues with the 3/4 sole "padding" on their AEs? I have found that the amount of drop off to the regular footbed/sole is hardly uniform. And having flat feet only exacerbates the feeling.

As a reference, my shaker heights have a much more obvious hump on one shoe. I thought it would go away as the boots broke in, but as the footbed dropped everywhere else, it only got worse. If you just run your fingers along the transition from padding to the footbed, you can tell a decent difference between the right and left.

My maritimes arrived yesterday and they fit great - except I have this same problem in one shoe and not the other. Different affected foot from the shakers, so that should rule out it being my feet. I worry that I will have the same problem as I did with the shakers, and this will get worse, rather than better.

I also noticed this same issue (different left/right) on two different Maritimes I tried on in the store.

Any thoughts/methods on breaking them in to alleviate this issue? Would insoles maybe help with this? Or do I just need to order a few more pairs and create a single pair that work best? (FYI: in store fitting of firsts; store doesn't carry my size; store didn't seem interested in ordering multiple pairs, rather drop shipping one pair to my home.)

15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I love the look of these. Can really tell the cxl is going to age nicely and mold to my feet. Same length, down from D to B in width, as 65.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Mine are the older hard model which are no longer made, but yes they work in all my AE shoes and boots. I did use the chart at the time and it worked for those. If on the border between 2 sized I think I'd go with the smaller size first.

17. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Anyone go from a D width to a B from a Balmoral to Blutcher on the 65?

For example I wear a Strand in 9D, could probably have a better fit a tad narrower. I use a tongue pad to prevent heel slip, which I have got used to and don't even notice now.

Now, say I want something like a Macgregor...

FWIW I can fit an 8.5D in the 333 and 108 with a bit of initial toe tightness on the pinky, but I'm sure it would subside. Never bought them. 8.5D in the 65 last was pretty tight.

I'm in Canada and no sales associate/store to help.

18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

So nice to hear from @Cold Iron again after a long hiatus. Since he owns more Dundees than anyone else I know, I'm posting this in his honour.

My natural shell Dundees are darkening quickly. Must be all the outdoor walking I do with them!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    3 people like this.
  20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

All I can add is that you should order about 5 or 6 different inserts from AE orthotic to 3/4 and see what works...no one will be able to give you a definate answer since it seems your feet hit a spot that AE's have stitching...Happens in Viberg 2030 boots to me...if the upper is stiched further back I feel it a lot if it is stitched further up I hardly notice it.

I think the AE Ortho insert they sell on the site is great however when I dont want to increase toe volume I use a 3/4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.