1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acushin2

acushin2 Member

They're not exactly discontinued, they are made specifically for Nordstrom now - I bought a pair there a few months ago.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. DustyDust

DustyDust Active Member

Wow. The gentleman at the Allen Edmonds store in Manhatten told me they were discontinuted.

Good to know,

Thank you

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

OMG, that is hideous and not befitting a shoe of supposed high quality. Honestly, if this is their solution, then they should just take this shoe out of production and sell the current stock as seconds.

What part of the strap was breaking, and how is this supposed to fix it? Wasn't it the long part with holes? Is this supposed to act like a shock absorber?

I was in a store returning some shoes; their Neumoras on display were the "old"-Neumora, before the fix. I didn't ask about it.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

As mentioned in a previous post, was in a retail store today. They had all their shell shoes on display, and they were stunning. I should have taken some pics...

The winner by far is the cappuccino Strand, of which this store still has some. The sales person insisted I try on the pair in my size, even though I told her I wasn't buying today. They are spectacular - very tempting, but at $585, not an impulse buy, unfortunately. I took her card; maybe at the next sale?

The Leeds in black shell is also fantastic. It really looks terrific in person.

The burgundy MacNeils, which I already own, were there. They also have the Park Avenues in brown. They look good, but not as good as the Strands, IMO. Norwich in brown, Cambridge, all the loafers, mostly in burgundy.... Overall, an impressive bunch! I wonder if it would be feasible to switch my entire shoe collection over to shell....

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

DAMN YOU!

6. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Why is this hideous? Wonder how they fit? How they look in person. Worth $250 for seconds?

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I just think it looks cheap. But it would be mostly covered and in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. Maybe worth $200 for seconds? They retail at $345.

8. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

:tounge:

9. Ayrton

Ayrton Well-Known Member

Several AE monks over the years have used the same style elastic straps. Frankly the shoe should have been designed slightly different, but all things considered, the new strap is an easy solution.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I own the Neumora's prior to their little patch job. Now I've owned mine for about 7 weeks and have worn them about 6 times thus far. I have yet to experience any issues with the straps thus far. I was warned about this issue probably about 5-6 weeks ago and since then of course have kept a closer eye on things. I contacted AE and basically informed me that if in the event I have issues down the line with them, they will certainly honor their patch job...not really looking forward to it if in the event it goes there.

The shoes are getting a little more comfortable with each wear. I have wide feet, 10 EEE, and the last they are built on don't accommodate my feet perfectly. With that being said, they are certainly not uncomfortable enough NOT to wear. They also seem to run a bit longer than most other lasts I've tried in AE.

11. newbie123

newbie123 Well-Known Member

@hohneokc

Thank you for sharing your collection, they all look great!

Love these two (Hinsdale and Lombard), but it looks like AE is no longer offering these colors (only in black) :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. nater

nater Active Member

Here's the info I posted in the tent sale thread over at AAAC:

I also received the ad in the mail yesterday so I have add'l details. Official dates are June 14-24 and the Port Washington, WI and Brookfield, WI stores, or order by phone @ 262-235-6300. It says, "Save 15-50% storewide."
    Featured items:

• LaSalle (black and chili) - $139 from $234
    • Eastport (tan and brown) - $109 from $139
    • Factory second golf shoes (First Cut in Tan Dublin shown, others implied) - $199 from $259

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

14. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

Yup - I'm in CT and have done this a few times.

I prefer dealing with the Maine outlet - if they have the shoe in stock, it ships rather quickly to CT. You can reach Edward of the Freeport, ME store at (207)-865-6222

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Has anyone else noticed that the biggest quality control problems with AEs has been with the imported leather uppers? Rarely do I hear a problem with mismatched sizes, poor soles, or insole problems.
    Maybe AE should start producing 100% of the shoe under one roof.

16. himasugi

himasugi New Member

Just wondering, these sales will only occur at those two specific AE locations? Like, if I have an AE store near me, would they have the same prices?

17. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hmm, maybe I will call the Maine outlet and see.

What's the usual cost of shipping? I'm assuming there's tax too? I'm just curious, because right now I could get the Elgin (first, I presume) on Amazon for $245 with no tax and free shipping (DADGIFTS coupon code and I have Amazon Prime). Just wondering what the ultimate price difference will be, and if it's worth it for seconds.

18. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

^i was thinking a similar thing. I can get strands for 255 on amazon w/ prime, otherwise i'll wait for the nordstrom sale.

i dont want the hassle of ordering seconds, having them be all messed up, and returning them to get less messed up pairs.

19. nater

nater Active Member

The second-quality Strands that I bought at the Port Washington Shoe Bank yesterday had soles that were trimmed too tight at the toe. That task is performed in the USA and is a difficult one, according to the saleslady, Julie.

20. nater

nater Active Member

Shipping within the US is free from the outlets, as far as I know. My second-quality Brooks Brothers version of the Elgin will be shipped to me this week for free.

If you don't want to worry about the sales, and which locations are honoring those prices, be aware that the Brooks Brothers seconds are available at AE outlets at lower prices than their AE-branded counterparts, but they are not typically included in promotions/sales. I bought the BB version of the Strand for $199 yesterday, and the BB version of the Elgin for $179. My understanding is that there are minor differences in the BB versions of each shoe, but the biggest difference is a rubber topy installed on the sole (which is a plus in my book as I do a lot of walking outdoors).

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.