1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

i take the same size 10D in 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 lasts. 1 is probably the shortest and widest of all those.

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I find 7 to be much shorter than 1, and much wider. Can't believe you take the same size in the 2.

3. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I see Shoebank has the South Shore, which is last year's model, for $97. I'll be hopeful that they are just clearing out firsts in a close out model and I'll get a nice pair.

4. rostov

rostov Senior member

The Duke I purchased last summer has held up well so far. The price was set around the fact it was made in the DR, had a rubber sole, and wasn't recraftable... but the lug sole has worn well for me. If anything, the upper is a bit misshapen, but I figure that has more to do with the style and my gait than construction. When buying, I was hoping to get 3 years out of them, and I think I'll get that and more.

1 person likes this.
  5. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Would you explain "wet brushing" and your technique for spooning?

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Rostov - would you believe on my Dukes, the left is mishapen? Doesn't give me a good feeling...

7. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Couple 2.0s up on the web site: Leeds; Dundee; and MacNeil (all available in brown grain!)

8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

My understanding of the two methods is as follows:

The traditional Mac Method involves wiping with a gently damp cloth, letting dry, then brushing vigorously for a while, then buffing to a shine.

Wet brushing involves wiping with a wet (not damp) cloth, and then brushing while the shoes are still wet, rather than waiting for them to dry. Then you buff to a shine.

I'm not familiar with the deer bone and spoon methods, as I don't use them to flatten the rolls or remove scuffs, but I think the basic approach is to clean the shoes, brush them a bit, then use the deer bone to further bring up the oils and bring down the creases, then buff to a shine.

1 person likes this.
  9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

That "chili" MacNeil looks very much like bob's/dark chili. I'm curious whether AE is slowly ditching the original chili color and replacing it with the bob's/dark chili color, and then ditching the "bob's" or "dark" moniker from it.

Also, I was wrong about the grain - I thought it was going to be a walnut grain. Whoops. Still though, this grain is tighter than before, like a scotch grain now rather than the massive grain on the Oak Street.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  10. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Someone asked about the Maritime the other day and my pair arrived in the mail this morning. I think the quality, shape and leather are all fantastic. So far I like these better than my OSB boat shoes and might actually replace the OSB pair if I can snag a deal on a pair of the Maritime in brown CXL.

I was able to get this pair on eBay for $75 shipped to Canada, they do not seem to have a flaw but are previously worn. Probably was a store return that was unsellable after that and then sold to the eBay seller. They are marked no warranty but I am ok with that for the price, very happy with them so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

^^ lovely pair of Maritimes. Very cool shoes - almost bought a pair myself.

Also, re: the MacNeil 2.0 - they failed to address the one design thing about it I can't stand - the way the eyestays come down all the way to the longwing. I think it looks clunky. I also don't like the way the "lifted" upper design makes the shoe even more crowded. They should have taken a page from Alden or Carmina and taken the scale of the shoes down a notch.

12. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis New Member

Here they are first day wearing, paired with dark grey slacks; they look a bit darker in person:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Wanted to run two items by you guys-

1. Just received a pair is brown mora seconds. Absolutely perfect ....EXCEPT for a very noticeable scrape on the toe. About the size of a fingernail. Is there any way to fix something like this? It does feel different in texture from other parts of the shoe, so I suspect this is a scrape of the leather and not just the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I have a pair of Vernon seconds that fit great but the heel area squeaks persistently every single time I step. The shoe fits well. I've already tried applying a ton of lotion to the inside of the heel overnight, next day same squeaks. It just sounds like the sock moving against the heel area. Again, fits well so no heel slippage etc. Any ideas?

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I have looked into getting some AE boat shoes, but the fact that most are now made in the Dominican is a turn-off. I've got a few boat shoes from Rancourt now.

15. TLHouston

TLHouston Active Member

Maiden voyage of the Rogue!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Chili bleeckers today. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis New Member

re: 2.: I had the same issue when I received a pair of mcgregor seconds and it was not an issue with the shoe. It took about 10 wearings and when they broke in the noise stopped.

18. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Allen Edmonds Cappuccino Shell Jeffersons with Light Brown Transparent Edges. Made To Order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

5 people like this.
  19. rostov

rostov Senior member

Just brought home these Burgundy shell Kenwoods!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Congrats! Enjoy your new loafers!!!

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.