• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been lightening my burgundy cordovan Leeds for about a week with sun exposure. So far so good, you can see in the pic where the lace part has been covering part of the vamp along with the tongue.

I plan to keep them hydrated with VSC during this process and after it gets to where I like I am going to test out the Angelus Acrylic Finisher that MTC2000 used to give the shoe an Alden type finish. I am just really curious about that product lol. Some more info on that here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/76860#post_7021083

It's a bit of a process but I figure why not give it a shot. Will keep you guys posted when things start to change some more.

Last edited:

Kwaker

Reaction score
Nice ... looking forward to the application of the Acrylic Finisher.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ... looking forward to the application of the Acrylic Finisher.

Thanks, It seems a lot of people were interested in the process of the Finisher yet nobody willing to take the plunge and try so I figure I will. It's a water based product and would be easy enough to remove if I didn't like it. It's in the mail on it's way but I think these shoes will probably have a few more weeks, at least, in the sun before I do anything.

rohde88

Reaction score

We don't have to do this anymore, mimo. They made a website: shoebank.com

Figured you'd like that information. :)

fantastic, now I need to decide between Randolph and Waldens.

Is there a consensus for which is "younger?"
Randolph

Walden

Last edited:

luv2breformed

Reaction score
fantastic, now I need to decide between Randolph and Waldens.

Is there a consensus for which is "younger?"

I think the main difference is sleek vs. casual.

The Randolph's moc toe isn't as prominent as the Walden, which gives it a sleeker feel to me. Additionally, the penny strap extends all the way to the welt (?) enhancing the effect.

If you want a casual loafer that is really more about . . . well loafing, then I would go with the Walden.

If you want something a tad sleeker/dressier I would go with the Randolph.

Sleeker/dressier here I suppose could be understood as "younger"

YMMV

Last edited:

rohde88

Reaction score

IMO Randolph is

I think they main difference is sleek vs. casual.

The Randolph's moc toe isn't as prominent as the Walden, which gives it a sleeker feel to me. Additionally, the penny strap extends all the way to the welt (?) enhancing the effect.

If you want a casual loafer that is really more about . . .  well loafing, then I would go with the Walden.

If you want something a tad sleeker/dressier I would go with the Randolph.

YMMV

Thanks, I'm looking for a sleeker loafer while being able to slip on and off at the airport. Randolph it is!

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Thanks, It seems a lot of people were interested in the process of the Finisher yet nobody willing to take the plunge and try so I figure I will. It's a water based product and would be easy enough to remove if I didn't like it. It's in the mail on it's way but I think these shoes will probably have a few more weeks, at least, in the sun before I do anything.
Keep us posted, please! Are you going to strip the finish entirely and rebuild using Alden's cordovan color 8 polish/wax, before putting on the acrylic? Either way, I had thought about doing this. Was on the fence about the leads but think I prefer the shape to the Alden PTBs.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been lightening my burgundy cordovan Leeds for about a week with sun exposure. So far so good, you can see in the pic where the lace part has been covering part of the vamp along with the tongue.

I plan to keep them hydrated with VSC during this process and after it gets to where I like I am going to test out the Angelus Acrylic Finisher that MTC2000 used to give the shoe an Alden type finish. I am just really curious about that product lol. Some more info on that here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/76860#post_7021083

It's a bit of a process but I figure why not give it a shot. Will keep you guys posted when things start to change some more.

Have you used Renomat to strip them prior to the sun?
This may be accelerated if the finish is removed.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted, please!

Are you going to strip the finish entirely and rebuild using Alden's cordovan color 8 polish/wax, before putting on the acrylic?

Either way, I had thought about doing this. Was on the fence about the leads but think I prefer the shape to the Alden PTBs.

Will just condition them with VSC prior to the acrylic, no need for the extra color from polish or wax

Have you used Renomat to strip them prior to the sun?
This may be accelerated if the finish is removed.

I did not use Renomat but these Leeds seem to be void of the extra junk that AE seems to put on everything else. When I use Renovatuer on them I get basically no color on my cloth compared to all my other AE cordovan. I am pretty confident these are basically down to the bare cordovan as is.

pnin22

Reaction score
There's a listing in AE's shoebank for a shoe called 'Strandmok Snuff Suede' 8226S. There's no photo, and it came up in my search for shoes on welted last #5. What is that thing!?

FreedBird

Reaction score

There's a listing in AE's shoebank for a shoe called 'Strandmok Snuff Suede' 8226S. There's no photo, and it came up in my search for shoes on welted last #5. What is that thing!?

Basically a casual unlined version of the strand with a vibram sole. Anything with "mok" at the end of the name for AE is a casual unlined shoe.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been itching for some navy, I think you just helped me decide. :)
By the way, can you touch on the differences between the standard insole/lining and the independence insole/lining? Is it mostly a change in material or is there extra padding added?

Thanks! Independence lining is a more supple and thicker leather lining. I believe it's sheepskin? This info needs to be verified. Currently this lining is available to independence or cordovan shell price point MTOs. Real lucky to get them at $197.

Hot Damn!!!

Navy rocks!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads