1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Oh, those guys...

2. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

[​IMG] walnut calf daltons today. Maiden voyage.

2 people like this.
  3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Nice burnish on those Daltons.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These look great!

5. zinski1990

zinski1990 Member

Very nice. I love the brown to tan contrast on those. Haven't seen those before

6. zinski1990

zinski1990 Member

Here's the nice pair of Strands I got for pretty much a steal off ebay a few days ago. He said he only wore them like 3 times and it definitely looks that way. I got lucky with this one. And like you said that's how it starts with AEs. They're a weird shoe when you may not feel they're all that flashy at first then you get a pair then boom you're hooked. It's similar with some other shoes I have as well. Maybe just cause I'm a shoe junky. [​IMG]

7. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Shell townley Thursday:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just a little black ae polish on the wingtip and around the brogue tracks :) a rag helps to wipe off the polish on the vamp and create that extra contrast.

9. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

A little homemade Bourbon effect. I like it.

10. zinski1990

zinski1990 Member

Nice shining technique. I find using the neutral colored wax on the lighter browns best since it really just shines it and not just darken the leather. I always use an old hanker chief for the first buff then a light buff next with a shine cloth to really touch it up. Some people use cotton balls but I don't because it just sticks into the brogue detailing so I always have to pick it off

11. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

I got this new itch for a SWB, but just noticed AE doesn't offer any (other than the LGA in new comfort line). That's very surprising to me, though I am sure AE used to offer that earlier..

12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Players 2.0 in testing. Might be out this fall?

13. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

Black PA's are boring like the navy suit with a white shirt, blue tie, white pocket square combo. Black PA's are boring like a good whiskey neat. Sometimes boring is really a synonym for straight up class.

1 person likes this.
  14. itzafugasi

itzafugasi Active Member

I own the black hills as well, and they are very comfortable. Great shoe. I'm hoping the San Marcos stretch a bit because I really love them. My right foot is slightly wider than my left, so I have some toe pinching in the right foot only, otherwise comfortable shoes as well.

15. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Good to know, thanks JS. Now only if I can wait till fall !!

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I don't know that for a fact - this one is just a guess based off of Players 2.0 sightings on the shoebank. But Paul did say they're doing a new SWB.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  17. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

Like maybe a Navy blazer and grey flannel slacks, paired with a white shirt + Repp tie? or perhaps a simple grey herringbone cashmere sportcoat - you know, the grey one every man should own? Or a million other classic pieces that I own and wear year round?

At no point sir did I suggest your black PA's were "gauche" - simply a little boring for my tastes/uses...if you enjoy them, more power to you - and what I think should scarcely matter at that point

But feeling a need to offer me a lesson in "Class" strikes me a little like Margaret Thatcher's observation on Being A Lady:

"if you have to tell people you are, then you aren't"

18. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

Oh man...I wasn't trying to be combative sir

19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

My oldest pair of AE's: Fenway's with Othello rubber sole on the 511 last. Have slowly developed a darker, slightly chili color to them. Perfect beaters for when its raining!

[​IMG]

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Re: SWB's, there was the Ithica in their orthotics line.

In addition to a SWB, AE has some other holes in its lineup of "classic" shoes, including:

* white buck & dirty buck (am I forgetting something?)
    * pebble grained LWB (I got my walnut Macneil before they dropped it)
    * loafer for folks with high insteps (they keep creating them, then dropping them, e.g. the McGraw)
    * higher end boat shoe (which is weird since I think AE was involved somehow with the start up of Rancourt) AE's made in DR boat shoe is too expensive for a cheap boat shoe and not of the same quality of a Rancourt. Sort of neither fish nor fowl.
    * a (non-golf shoe) spectator. They dropped the Broadstreet and replaced it with nothing (though you can get a spikeless Heritage for an extra $40).

Last edited: May 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.