1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

+1

I owned 2 pairs of shell Westchesters, both in my usual TTS 15d. Sold both pairs on eBay because the toe box was just too tight, like a vice.

2. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

The 7 last is a very tricky last, I will echo the comments of others that the toe box tends to be very tight. However being a loafer heel fit is very important and can be hard to get right as well. My normal size is an 8D and I actually went up to an 8.5 B on the Grayson and it fits perfectly. I don't know how many others have had luck with this, but if you can try similar sizing it may work.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The orange is due to lighting - it doesn't look that orange in person.

It isn't smooth like the calfskin, but it isn't textured. If you have seen the AE Rough Collection shoes, you will get the idea. I'm guessing it is leather and not calfskin.

Chris

4. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Saw these on the bay and I don't care how much you guys like the Rogue, the pattern on these is so much better. AE needs to bring these back asap imo. No idea what the are though.

[​IMG]

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

These are the 6th Avenue in Chestnut. Same pattern as the Sanford, basically, but less eyelets. These are a Nordstrom Rack exclusive style (#2010). I believe they're on the 7 last. They retail for $199 at the Rack if you can find them. They made a large run about a year ago (used to find them in every size at every NR) but I don't think they've had any new ones made since then.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Check out JAB. They have those in walnut, but they are not call Sanford, and, if I recall it correctly, they are not on the 7 last.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Good to know!

8. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Just placed an order for the shell Westchester by directly calling CAC. I was told that they are seconds.

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

There have been a handful of discussions about the Bob's/dark/burnished chili color. Here is a side-by-side comparison of Bleecker Streets in chili and brown. As always, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Inside:
    [​IMG]

Outside:
    [​IMG]

10. MUFCreddevil

MUFCreddevil Well-Known Member

Guys,

I have a dilemma. What shoe in walnut do I buy?

I have the following suits as I where them everyday:
    - Navy sharkskin
    - Navy pinstripe
    - Charcoal
    - Black
    - Med Grey
    - Tan Poplin

and several sport coats (Chocolate, Grey herringbone, brown tweed, blue chambray)

I have Bourbon Strands and Black Park Avenues to start.

Next I want to snag Merlot McAllisters.

I'm between these for the Walnut though. I think the Strands would be too close the the Bourbon Strands. Part of me think having a non-brogue brown shoe would be a good option to have. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

How about these?

[​IMG]

Walnut rutledge. Looks like you don't have an Adelaide.

(Btw please excuse my wearing these with khakis. I'm just trying to figure out if I should sell these or not since- although I love them- I literally haven't worn them in ten months.)

1 person likes this.
  12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Monday, Gents!
    Walnut McT's for me today...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Wearing the RL Singletons today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. rostov

rostov Senior member

Yes, anything on the shoebank is considered a second and is sold as such. However, my impression is that shoes are will be labeled seconds because they're deemed unsuitable for sale as firsts -- which is not always a flaw, but may be a matter of age, or an inability to move inventory.

I wonder if they're worried about some of this old shell drying out?

15. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Dark Chili Warwicks came in last week and saw their first wear on Saturday. Wearing them again today because they're my new favorites. Pretty flawless aside from some extra burnishing/slight tiger striping on the right shoe, but in person it honestly looks more like patina. Guess the left shoe has some catching up to do!

On a personal note (and not to be too much of a me-monster) but the extra creasing on the right shoe is from getting down on one knee and proposing on Saturday!

1 person likes this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

...and she said????!!!!

PS: best to offer full disclosure of the shoe collecting bug up front, as it may affect her decision.

PPS: On second thought, as long as you haven't dabbled in cordovan too much, you'll probably be okay ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Congrats, BD!!! Surely she couldn't say no with you in dark chili, right?

18. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Yes!

And later when she noticed the shoes: "I haven't seen those before, are those new?"

To which I replied: "You got a ring, I got these - for a hell of a deal ($159)" haha.

She's a shoe woman herself, so I think I have a way to go before I'm treading on thin ice. She said she likes how organized the AE boxes look in my closet lol. Only one pair of shell...so far!

Thank you! I was hoping these would be my lucky shoes, and they were.

2 people like this.
  19. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

If you're interested in your second pair of shell, we're talking about a GMTO for the Rogue in brown shell over in the AE MTO thread...

20. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Congratulations on getting engaged! Do the shoes come with the poron insole and the v tread sole? How is the fit on those compared to some other popular AE's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.