1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I wear the same size in both. I find, however, that my PA's seem a little bigger than my Strands, though. Not enough to wear a different size, but noticeable in that my Strands fit more snug.

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

3. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Wearing my saddle brown sohos today. Love these shoes, and I really wish AE would bring them back.

[​IMG]

I also sent my brown chromexcel bayfields in for recrafting with a butyl leather sole, instead of the commando sole. Will post pictures when I get them back.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Those look great. I especially like the proportions of the toe cap. Much better than the current Fifth Avenue, IMO. Great color, too.

5. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

My saddle brown Soho's are probably my favorite pair in my collection as well. I wish AE brought back the Soho, Evanston, and Manhattan!

1 person likes this.
  6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I also liked the 00 last. The chiseled toe was a nice change from their rounded toe lasts.

7. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Unfortunately I started getting into AE after these models were removed from the lineup. I hope they bring them back... the sohos are stunning.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Agree on all points. The Evanston and the Soho are exactly what I am looking for.

9. elbastardocalvo

I'd love a pair in dark chocolate brown, though I don't think they were ever made in that color.

10. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

If I remember correctly they were made in Black, Cognac, and Saddle Brown only.

11. elbastardocalvo

Keep in mind that I wear a 14 EEE, so they're quite a bit longer than more "normal" sizes.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Hm.. The proportions of the cap look better than on the Park Avenue, though (think I said Fifth Avenue in my previous post). The Park Avenue toe cap looks too small to me. How do you think your Sohos look in comparison?:

[​IMG]

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have Park Avenues and have given this issue much more thought than it deserves. The problem Park Avenues have (and 5th Avenues are even worse) is the close proximity of the line to the toe and the round blobbiness of the sole/welt. I've compared my Strands with my Park Avenues extensively to figure out why I find the Strand so much more appealing in its silhouette and these two factors are what I keep coming up with. Look how the welt/sole of the PA is rounder and blobbier than the upper's sleeker shape and, as a result, extends beyond and drowns out the upper's sleeker shape. Strands do not have this issue as the upper and welt/sole are much more harmonious. The Soho's posted above also avoid this problem.

14. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

I heard you. I missed the AE bandwagon by 2-3yrs :( It seems the #3 last to be the closet to #0 last shape wise.

15. elbastardocalvo

I have the black Park Avenues as well, and, while I like them, I much preferred the shape of the toe cap of the soho's. I also like the slightly notched toe. With the Soho, although the toe cap is longer, it still creases in the appropriate place (before the toe cap), at least on my feet.

I have never seen the Soho and black, but if they were available, I would strongly consider buying one due to the shape of the toe alone.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  16. elbastardocalvo

Anyone tried both the 0 and the 3? I'd love a comparison, as the Larchmont in brown is pretty beautiful.

17. spitshine123

or the 3 and the 5 for that matter

1 person likes this.
  18. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I have a question about sizing for the rough line, specifically the McTavish and the Elgin.

I'm planning on making my next AE purchase either the McTavish or the Elgin (still undecided on which, but leaning towards the Elgin). I've read (on AE's site and on here) that the McTavish tends to run up to a full size longer than usual (I've seen people say size down an entire size for this shoe). They're both made on the same last, so I assume the same is true for the Elgin? FWIW, I wear a 9.5 EEE in the Delray (My actual foot is probably closer truly to a 9D or 9E, but I use custom-made orthotics from my physical therapist which make the shoes even more comfy). Anyway, the 9.5EEE in the Delray is great for me. I also own the Fairfax . . . unfortunately I could not find a 9.5EEE in the Chili color so I bought a 10D which fits ok with my orthotics but is a little snug in the forefoot, but was able to try on a 9.5EEE in the black version which felt perfect with the orthotic. So, In both of these shoes (which I believe are made on 8 and 5 lasts, respectively), my sizing seems consistent.

That said, what size would I want in a McTavish/Elgin? Would I really want an 8.5?? And is there any correcting for width? 8.5EEE? I'm pretty unsure about this, and unfortunately I don't live anywhere remotely close to an AE store (my previous purchases have been via ebay and Nordstrom rack).

Suggestions?

19. elbastardocalvo

I have the McTavish and it's sized the same as my other AE's (14 EEE). Fit is a bit looser than, say, the Park Avenue (built on the same last) but not enough to size down.

20. spitshine123

I measure a true 8.5D on the brannock and am a good fit for the 5 last in 8.5D. The LaSalles (on the same last as the Delray) felt way too tight for me in the toebox, as it was shorter and narrower than the 5 last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.