1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Was just looking at AE blog and saw this "the shoe style is a sneak peek of what’s to come later this Fall" .Looks like Dundee ..

[​IMG]

2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes. I've mentioned several times that AE is bringing the Dundee back in non-shell leathers this fall. Last I heard, they're going to do it in two calf options (walnut and brown, I think) and also one grain option (walnut grain).

They've got a lot of very interesting options coming out in the fall, especially in tighter-grain leathers (more like scotch grain than the current "large" grain leathers like on the Oak Street)

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yeah that Dundee looks like possibly chili grain or something, looks good. Hoping for a few boots on the new last from the Rogue, it fit me so well.

4. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

You'll be happy to know that they're bringing the First Avenue back for a full production run. It's on the 201 last. Don't quote me on the leathers, but I'm pretty sure they're doing it in black, walnut, and walnut grain (I believe the walnut grain is the same leather that @Gabru linked above in the Dundee - it's less red than the current chili grain). I can't recall if they're doing it in bourbon, merlot, or dark chili, but I know they're not doing it in oxblood. The walnut grain model might be shearling lined.

You might recall that I did an MTO for the First Avenue in oxblood last fall (independence insole and lining with v-tread tap sole).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks for the detailed response. I stopped by the store the other day with intentions of buying a pair of McAllisters in merlot. They mentioned that they will honor the sale price; however, they didn't have a single pair of what I wanted in the various sizes close to 8C in stock. As per SA, in order to get the sale price, I would need to order all the size that I wanted to try, and have them shipped to my house. I am sure he wouldn't mind if I took them all back to the store and had him evaluate the fit. A bit of a hassle, to be honest.

You are correct, my feet are narrow, long and flat, and they vary in size.

It is interesting that you mentioned the 333 last. I thought this last is supposed to be on the wide side. Certainly, the University and Larchmont are attractive shoes. I will check them out.

Lastly, what has your experience been with the 8 last?

Thank you

6. rostov

rostov Senior member

A batch of brown shell Jeffersons landed today on the shoebank. This was a webgem in 2013. Either they're using up old uppers that have been laying around for a while, or they'll be doing another run. Probably the former based on the sizes... available in 9 through 11.5 in single E.

1 person likes this.
  7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Wait, doesn't BB have something in a grain leather already? I actually like the dundee but not a fan of black shoes really. So if they're coming out with those colors I would cop

8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I don't understand why they would possibly do this. I agree that it's the likely scenario, but why?

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

BB has a lot of offerings in grain, but I don't think they have a walnut grain. Pretty sure BB only has chili, black, or brown grain options.

I believe the new walnut grain is just that - a new grain offering, and I think the grain is tighter on it than the other grain options that AE sells directly.

1 person likes this.
  10. rostov

rostov Senior member

Inventory management. I imagine it's tough to move the half-constructed uppers of shoes that aren't on any public inventory list. With the shoebank now online, plus the shoebank locations, they can turn around these uppers and at break even or at least cut their losses. By the way, they're selling for $474.00

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

If only they had 8.5 D or 8 E.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Really appreciating my MTO brown cordovan Kenilworths today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

^^ lovely color those have developed into.

14. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

So, we've got a fairly new bigwig lady working at our company. I currently work in a department with a bunch of frumpy, older ladies. Well, the bigwig lady came in for a meeting with all of us and after it was over the frumpies immediately started gossiping.

The biggest points they raised were:

1. At one point, this woman had appeared on Shark Tank to pitch a product (unsuccessfully)
    2. How appalling it was that she came in there flaunting her giant ring and her [gasp] $400 shoes!!!!!!!

At that point, I looked down at my Oxblood Strands, considered their retail price and decided to keep my yap shut while they prattled on for a while.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know there's a huge difference in the purpose of both of our shoes. While hers will be gone in a year when fashions change, mine will be still going strong after a decade. But, I found it funny how aghast they all were at the price point. Granted, I didn't pay anywhere near retail for mine (Shoebank, on sale, during an AMEX promo that took $50 off meant I could nab them for $199), but I didn't wanted to tip my hat that at some point I'll be dropping well more than that $400 on some cordovans. I keep telling myself I don't have a problem, but the rise from owning 0 pairs of AEs in September last year to 7 right now may indicate otherwise. Thank God I had a VERY successful fantasy football season and a survivor football pool experience that covered the costs of all of them or I'd have a ton of explaining to do to the missus.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

What?

16. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Old, worn, awesome Eastports out on the water this early afternoon. I've had these for years now, they have been in and out of saltwater more times than I can count and they have become ridiculously comfortable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend guys! Enjoy yourselves!

2 people like this.
  17. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Walnut Strands with linen today. I love Spring.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Shoebank has my size in the Gridiron derby. I have Leeds. Are these basically the same shoe with the football leather?

19. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I have shoebank Gridirons - they fit and look just like my Leeds.
    511 last both, same size.

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.