1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfo2010

jfo2010 Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing in particular. They will mostly be worn to work with slacks and dress shirt. I know the Clifton is a blucher and the Stratton is a balmoral. I have the Clifton in brown and it is my favorite shoe. I was just wondering if the Stratton has a similar silhouette. I like the broguing on the toe but would only want it if it has a low profile like the Clifton. I'm a slim guy and wear slim pants. I find many of AE shoes look too bulky on my feet. The Clifton is burgundy and the Stratton is oxblood.

2. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

guys,

If I fit pretty snug in AE Strands 10d, would a 9e fit me at all?

I found a pretty sweet deal on some black ones I want to pick up but afraid I won't fit.

3. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I wear the same size on my Harrisons (333) and Strands (65).

I would go up in length or width instead.

4. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

I'm keeping the 10d strands, it's just that they are walnut and I need a pair of black oxfords.

I found a nice deal on a 9e pair of strands but I'm wondering, if the 10d fit me snugly, would a 9e not fit?

5. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

The 9 definitely won't fit. Your toes will be cramped, especially your pinky if I had to guess.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

1. Just came back from the Freeport outlet so I can definitely confirm that inventory check for the RL & BB is not accurate in most cases. Bother the SAs all you want - I've had SAs many times refuse to look up things like that for me - they can certainly shoot down your request.

2. Nice post about the BB version having sloppier construction - I thought that myself sometimes.

Sorry for the curt responses but did not have a good experience with the outlet store at all yesterday so not in a very good mood.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

No way - you will be smashed against the end of the shoe. You could try 10.5C (or even 10.5D) or 9.5E but that's all I'd go.

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You can definitely do this - however more than half the stuff I've seen at NR from AE are 1.) Seconds and 2.) Beat to $hit, what I would consider non-saleable. I wouldn't buy something from there without seeing it in person, so I guess I'm just saying be prepared for a return if necessary.

I saw those Neumok Acorn exclusives there once - so badly damaged, creased, etc. looked like someone wore them for a year.

9. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Indeed - Nordstrom Rack carries several different kinds of AE shoes:

(1) AE shoes made specifically for NR. These are models like the Middleton, Boardwalk, or Riverside. These are at nearly ever NR in multiple sizes and widths, and can usually be found online. I presume they have an actual NR-wide inventory system for these. They are marked seconds, but they're not necessarily flawed or defective - just marked seconds because they're at NR.

(2) AE seconds on normal AE models. These are usually models on clearance, closeout, or recently discontinued. For example, recently I've seen a lot of seconds in Kenilworth, Player's Shoe in suede, Morgan, and Promontory Point. These are usually actually flawed in the way seconds would be. You can, on extremely rare occasion, find shell seconds for under $200.

(3) AE firsts. These are the rare gems. Some firsts are a little beaten up, clearly returns to a Nordstrom location or display models that have been taken out of the line of duty. Some firsts are brand new, closeout/clearance/discontinued models - these are the truly rare finds. The other day I found a pair of Larchmont firsts, brand new without a single visual flaw I could find, but unfortunately not my size. And as some of you folks may recall, I found a pair of Player's Shoe firsts a few months ago at NR.

The shoes in the first category should be in their inventory system by model and size. The shoes in the second and third categories are not in their inventory with their actual model numbers, and are just in the inventory as a generic AE shoe "WELTS", with "No color" as the color, and only the size. It's possible NR could provide you a list of all the AE shoes they have in a particular size, but you would not be able to figure out what models they are, which defeats the point.

The best way to do it is to just visit your local NRs often - you can find some real gems for some great prices occasionally.

10. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

These are the Parkway, right? They simply cant possibly be the Bradley due to the fact that the pictures on AE's site would have to be designed to make sure no one ever buys them...

11. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Neo1, you basically said to OP "lower your expectations". It's okay - they didn't mean it, whatever they did to you at the outlet. Turn that frown upside down... or take the RED [​IMG] PILL next time! Its NR, where most items have varying levels of quality, and may or may not have been around the block a couple times. "Have realistic expectations when checking" is just as helpful :)

JSO1 pretty accurate description of shoe quality levels at NR; if I can buy seconds unseen from the shoebank, I can definitely do an inquiry with a NR rep. My NR Slaton's are first quality, no sole mark, and look every bit first quality. @ $119, like stealing. You do make an excellent point about box labeling however, as three AE buys from Rack all came in generic "AE WELTS 0000000000" boxes. I encourage hoit1981 to embark on his search with every expectation of finding the Slaton in his preferred leather and size, and then let some actual event lower his expectations.

12. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Does the brown shell strand (stock model) lighten over time? I've seen some pics on this thread of lighter shells getting darker with time, but don't know how the darker shell ages. Any input in appreciated ..

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I need to stop looking at the shoe bank. I'm going to keep buying shoes.

Does anyone have pictures of the mcgregor in snuff suede? I"ve seen them in stone suede.

14. garland

garland Senior member

Check out the MTO thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/7395#post_7794002

1 person likes this.
  15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Zappos is a great source for looking at AE shoes

16. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

For anyone thinking of trying that, be sure to check out this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/247209/diy-cobbler-ing-changing-sole-edge-color

Another option may be rubbing the sole edge with deglazer and refinishing with light/neutral edge dressing. Here's a pic of the sole and heel edge following such treatment on an antiquing project I'm working on:

[​IMG]

If you're only going to treat the sole and heel edge you'll want to tape off the upper and be very careful.

17. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

18. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I'm about to garner enough courage to try this on some of my shoes. Just too many black welts and edges. I assume I'm married to the welt color until a resole. If it turns out well, I'll share it here. If not, I'll never mention it publicly again.

19. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

[​IMG]

Scored these on eBay at a great price - burgundy shell Leeds. Marked with "no warranty" so is that a store return?
    Either way a bit of @mdubs "Mike Method" and they look almost good as new :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  20. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

There you go sir! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.