1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

STOP!!!!!

No two pair of shell shoes will age and patinate the same way and will take on very different character. Please do not ruin them by putting a bunch of junk or *gasp* dye on them!

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Thanks for this comment.

It is an odd situation- I won't end up with 2 pairs of natural shell Leeds unless I can intentionally significantly alter one of them. With only 6-8 months experience with shell I need feedback before I *gasp* ruin a pair of seconds.

3. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible. See here for some examples of what could be done, especially with lighter color like natural shell (link may not be suitable for work) - http://www.dandyshoecare.it/ENG/patina.html

4. NE Shoe Guy

NE Shoe Guy New Member

I just received mine Chili Universities and they are lovely. The shoe fits as well or better than my Strands in the same size.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  5. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Decided to grab the suede MacNeil I saw a couple days ago at Burlington... The toes of each shoe are a little worse for wear, but not a complete deal breaker at the updated price of $119. Really had to clean them up but they're looking pretty nice now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The difference in color is enough to warrant keeping both it and the snuff suede Ralph Lauren kopped at the same price last week:
    [​IMG] Thanks to those who encouraged the acquisition! Why am I now obsessed with edging being stripped and recolored/lightened?!?

2 people like this.
  6. Curbed Enthusiasm

Curbed Enthusiasm Active Member

Just got these merlot McAllisters delivered. Looks like there's a few imperfections - note the "winking" on the upper, as well as the place where the line/edge from the bottom piece is visible through the upper (maybe was sewn too tight?). Would you accept these as firsts or exchange them? I've had seconds that have looked better than these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Exchange them if you're not happy with them.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I would keep, especially at $279. But it's your call. You can try for a better pair of it's going to keep you from enjoying.

The creases in first picture would happen for me within the first 5 times I took the shoes on and off.

9. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Leave them out in the sun - they will darken with sun exposure

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Can't stop wearing these. So comfortable, necoming my go-to shoes for darker jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. goodwillhinton

goodwillhinton Member

I just received some McGregors in Bob's Chili from the Shoebank and they do have some striping on one side that many people have mentioned with seconds. Has anyone had any luck with using polish to minimize the appearance of the striping?

12. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Just call/email one of the outlets and ask them to send you the 2nds list in your size. The JAB or BB models won't come out in the shoebank site. For some reason they only come out in the spreadsheet they send you.

14. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

see that link i just quoted. you can edit the shoebank links with the style code of JAB/BB/RL seconds and check availability that way. pics included. pretty neat.

see here as well. enter size and width and links are generated for you. not a comprehensive list but a time saver nonetheless.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M08CDI15VxoyZSHmXJtBDgnNhACwRqa8Z9_dkup4YpY/edit?pli=1#gid=0

15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Those are amazing! The after pics all look like shell but the page refers to leather. Also not sure how great a bargain seconds would be after sending them to Dandy. :)

The patina on all shoes shared on that link is incredible.

Googled some examples, and the 2 pairs would still be too similar for my closet. Looking forward to my pair gaining some patina with age and sunlight...but it looks like an intentional color change via dye is not a likely option.

Thanks for the feedback! Not what I hoped to hear, but, useful...

16. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Glad to be to able to give back to the thread that has taken so much closet space from me!

17. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I don't understand why (because it doesn't make sense), but I feel mildly famous for having something I posted on reddit getting linked to on SF, haha.

18. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Question: can I predict that the fit for the McAllister will be the same as for the Strand? I realize they're both on the 5 last. I wear a 9.5D in the strand and the fit is pretty good, perhaps just a touch tight. Yet, I purchased the Park Avenue without trying it on and find the fit crosses over into legitimately too tight. I was surprised by this, as again, both are on the same last. Both my Strand and my Park Avenue are Brooks Brothers models, btw. So will I be taking another risk if I order the McAllister without trying it on first?

19. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

To add to this, my Park Avenues have never been as comfortable as my Strands, and I had assumed they were essentially the same shoe.

If others could share their experience I would like to know what I will think of the Fifth Avenue, which is on my todo list next time it's discounted, if I can hold out that long.

20. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

My next AE purchase will likely be the Dundee in brown shell, but @Burzan 's rework on his Leeds has me thinking... I really like the look of Alden's antique edging, and love their cigar chukka boot with it. I was just curious if anyone reworked the AE edging to mimic the look for antique edging? Or does AE have a similar look that could be requested when recrafted? I think this would look great on the Dundee

Stock AE Dundee photo:
    [​IMG]
    Alden cigar chukka with antique edging:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.