• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Ferragamo has different lines, the studio line (lowest) is cemented and not welted at all. The tramezza (top) is good year welted it can be a decent buy if you can find them on sale. I would imagine the main line could be blake stitched but I am not 100% sure.

Interesting. The ones I saw in store were all in the $750+ range and the welt didn't look very bulky (maybe cemented?). That's a lot of money for a cemented shoe.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. The ones I saw in store were all in the $750+ range and the welt didn't look very bulky (maybe cemented?). That's a lot of money for a cemented shoe.

The studio line are usually in the $500 range or at least they were the last time I checked. The tramezza line was in the neighborhood of $950.00.

Generally speaking most things Italian are sleek cars, suits, shoes , dress shirts.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice!

Would you say the toe cap is of similar length as the Strand's? Similar fit as other 5-Last shoes?

The fit is similar to my other 5-last shoes and the Lex looks awesome, but I'm afraid that the captoe stitching is pushed a little too far back - leading to potential toe creases. I didn't get any creasing at the toe area with my 5th avenues, but there were signs of slight creasing at the toe area as I tried flexing/walking in the Lexingtons. I will report back after wearing them in the next few weeks.

Here's a black captoe oxford, which in my opinion has the proper balance of how far back a captoe stitching should go. Here's a comparison. That's pretty much my only knock on the Lexingtons, but they're a great pair of shoes! (especially at the sale price). Looking back, I don't think I would have mind to MTO a pair with danite or v-tread soles.

Last edited:

tjyoung

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to my query re: shortwing bluchers vs. longwings - and especially to those who posted pics! Some really sweet examples of the former in there.

I own two pairs of Blake SWBs from Rancourt, and two pairs of shell SWBs from Carmina. I was trying to decide between getting another SWB from Rancourt or getting an MTO MacNeil . . . and in true SF fashion I now think I'm going to get both. The former will be in shell and will become my go-to black dress shoe (pushing my black calf PAs aside, which will be saved for weddings and funerals). The latter will be in black CXL and will I anticipate become a beloved casual shoe. (Yeah, I know black doesn't get any love here - but it does from me. Sue me.)

This is in part apropos of my recent MacNeil 5 purchase . . . I've decided they're going back in favor of the MTO.

Sometimes, I read your posts, and I think you're buying shoes just to buy shoes. NTTAWWT.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Various sizes of Black Promotory boot on Amazon for $175

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I swear to God I'm gonna stop soon . . .
rotflmao.gif

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
Does anybody own a pair of the Potomac loafers? Do you like them, and do you know what last they're constructed on? I've never bought one of AE's Jos. A. Bank models, but they're $129 for seconds and I need a new loafer for summer, so I was thinking of taking a shot at them.

Pastor

Reaction score
I wonder how many people have shoes in their closet that they have never worn. I'll admit that I do. It's not that I'm saving or collecting them but I just haven't had time to break them in yet. I typically like to wear shoes around he office for a few days before I wear them outside and work has been so hectic that I've not had time.

BolognaFingers

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between the normal collection and the Independence collection? Besides the outsole, of course.

For instance, the Mcallister vs the Jefferson?

I just robbed someone on eBay for a pair of Rutledge's for less than $150, barely used.

The Independence collection is VERY nice. And immediately different. The leather is super duper soft and supple and the shoe is VERY comfortable from the get go. A lot less stiff than say, strands.

Stop by a store and feel it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads