1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Have a brand new pair of AE Van Ness in 12E
    Black calf.

Let me know if interested.

[​IMG]

2. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

They have a padded insole, combination heel, and there is a topy factory glued & stitched to the outsole. The sale did apply to them—they were about $250 with the corporate discount last week. My black Strands arrived today. You must be thinking of the cordovan shoes, which are normally excluded.

1 person likes this.
  3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Shot of my RL Sandersons (AE Williams) in action:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Well, none of the shoes are 100% made in the USA. The most significant part of the shoe (Uppers) are all made in the Dominican Republic.

5. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

Not true according to AE's CEO. There is a plant in the Dominican that does sew uppers together, true, but they also do this in their US plant. All the shoes are assembled in their US plant. So there is no way to tell for any given shoe if it was "100%" made in the USA, or if the upper on that particular shoe was assembled in the Dominican. From my understanding this is not model dependent. So my Strand could have a Dominican made upper, and your's could have an USA made upper. No way to tell.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think cordovan shoes are exclusively made in the US, including uppers, aren't they? And there is a line of shoes that is assembled in the DR, but it's clearly stated on their website.

7. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, my statement only applies to their "standard" range leather shoes. No idea about the shell models, and as far as I know the AE line are completely made in the DR.

8. MrOnBicycle

MrOnBicycle Member

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Nice, I really like these.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Some prefer the BB version and some prefer the AE version. I've heard complaints about the BB version involving the poron insole and raves regarding this same version due to the comfort the poron insole adds. YMMV.

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I took delivery of my kenilworths last friday in my regular 5 last size, and I was surprised that they weren't as loose as some made them out to be. I did not need to use the tongue pads I ordered from feet relief. They fit quite similar to my McAllisters (a tad higher in the instep vs the strand and park aves). Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with the McAllister?

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Okay so I need some help:

My convocation is in a couple weeks and I will wear a medium gray suit. The problem is the only good dress shoes I have are AE Strands in walnut color. Seems like most would not wear the Strands with a suit, let alone in a walnut color. So am I better off just wearing cheap black dress shoes instead?

Or is there a place in Toronto where I can pick up AE dress shoes for ~$250? I don't have time to order online.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Walnut Strands look great with light to medium gray slacks. Yes, the walnut color and the brogueing make them somewhat informal for a suit, but I do not see why you could not wear them with a medium gray suit. It will be better than what most of your classmates wear. Try it out for a day and see how you like it.

1 person likes this.
  14. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Either your convocation is wayyyy different than mine was or you are going to be massively overdressed. Either way, those shoes should go fine with a gray suit.

15. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I went to the AE store today to get fitted for a pair of strands
    and a had a couple questions.
    - I tried on a 10E. the fit was good however it felt a little loose
    in the toe box and there was slight heal slippage.
    - do you think it would be better to drop down to a 9.5E or 10D?

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Probably start with the 10D. It should be easy to find. Have you tried downloading the AE fit guide and measuring your feet? That's a good place to start.

17. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

i'm planning to order them from the military exchange
    and they charge for return shipping so I want to make
    sure i get it right on the first try.
    - I was fitted in store today it was saying i was a size 11.

18. index1489

index1489 Well-Known Member

Got my strands in today, I wore them with a gray suit.
    10.5D I wear a 11 in sneakers/athletic running shoes ect.

They will stretch a little after you first wear them.

The only defects I could fine where a two tiny stains in the tongue of the shoe (never will see) and if Im really nit picking 1 slightly crooked stitch.

[​IMG]

Anyone know a place locally that sells neutral shoe cream? Nordstroms didn't have any.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  19. Lebowski10

Lebowski10 Member

Hey all,

Just got my brown Kenilworths in today from an Amazon order. I'm not sure if the coloring is the way they're supposed to be...it looks like there's some streaking of a lighter brown (pic 1) and even a small darker crease (pic 2) in the other shoe. Third pic features a crease on the inside of the upper. Would you return these? They're certainly not terrible for the $211 i got them for on amazon...but after my first pair of AEs (mcallisters from the AE online store) had minor defects...i was hoping for perfection this time around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologize for the poor lighting / iphone pics - the discoloration is a bit easier to see in person

20. Lebowski10

Lebowski10 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kenilworths from amazon just came in today - with some minor defects. There's some lighter streaking (pic 1) and a darker crease in the toe (pic 2) and finally a crease on the side (pic 3). Would you keep these or return them? Sorry for the poor quality lighting and iphone pics...the defects are much more noticeable in person

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.