1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

^^^ +1. Same thing with the Rush Street.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I tried on the Strand, Jefferson & McAllister in black late last year - they're all really nice shoes but no matter which way you slice it, I thought the combination of black & elaborate perfs was just awful. Go with chili/walnut/merlot on those - get the Kenilworth in black.

and throw those Gordon Rush where they belong - in the trash.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Both would work, and look great. Merlot is perhaps a little more traditional, of the two. Hope that helps? J

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Both will look fab. I do those colors with blue often.

Great MrDV shot! Love my chili shakers.

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

The grey and orange Voyagers were made recently, as they have the 19 hammer 22 in a shield Allen-Edmonds emblem in them. They are also orange inside, although I've never understood why some shoes are various colors other than tan inside, since hardly anyone ever sees inside your shoes.

I already had one pair of Voyagers, which were tan until I "patinated" them with Allen-Edmonds Light Brown polish (I posted a picture when I did). I liked the Voyagers, so when I saw the grey and orange Voyagers listed on eBay for $14.99 I bid on them. Apparently, I was the only person on Earth who wanted them, so I got them for $14.99 (plus shipping).

6. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I present the best deal ever on eBay.

Brand new brown CXL Bayfields.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only issue is the two poked holes on the toe, looks like a staple punctured the leather. [​IMG]
    Not very noticeable while standing up and looking down, well worth it.

$110 shipped

2 people like this.
  7. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I picked up a new pair of AE Sutter at Burlington Coat Factory of all places; I didn't know AE were carried there. Only a couple pairs of AE in my size, but fortunately this one was in my width and a relatively inoffensive style. $119 at Jersey Gardens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Great! I just purchased the McAllister in Walnut and will likely purchase the Kenilworth sometime this weekend. As for the Gordon Rush pair, I suffered through 3 months of destroying my feet and they are now extremely comfortable. They will likely be worn until they begin to fall apart, if only to justify the torture I put my feet through.

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

If I were starting over and building a three dress shoe rotation for a job where I'd exclusively wear suits, in addition to a black cap toe, I'd add a brown and a burgundy/merlot/whatever, one in a punch cap and the other in a wingtip. If you thought sport coats and odd trousers will be part of the mix, or you have no aversion to wearing bluchers with a suit, I'd make #3 a LWB, especially if you could find something like the single sole RL Sanderson x AE.

As to your specific Mac delima, I'd say any dark iteration would be fine but I'd already have shoe #3 in mind when picking #2.

By the way, I see nothing wrong with a black wingtip but it wouldn't be my only black shoe. Therefore, it wouldn't have a place in a three shoe rotation for me.

10. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

You can beat the $147 price on the Kenilworths with the $117 price on the black McTavish - if it is available in your size (seconds pricing).

I recently purchased a pair of black McTavishes at this price and really like them. Take a look and see if your size is available on shoebank.com.

11. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

12. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

There was talk not long ago, possibly in this thread, of a new line of calfskin Dundees being introduced. Not sure what the 2.0 refers to though. I think the Dundee was available in leathers other than shell in the past. I've seen suede Dundees on Ebay before.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I guess I half agree with this - the McTavish is way more casual than the Kenilworth, so they kind of serve different purposes. But....the brown/natural colored detailing present on the Black McTavish is great - not at all like completely black on black perfs. The $117 is insane - I would absolutely get both the Kenilworth and McTavish in black if they are available in your size.

14. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, however they are not available in my size. That said, it seems as if there are mixed feelings regarding black perfs on this forum. I tried on the Lexington at my local store and really liked how they felt, so I am assuming the Kenilworth will fit very similarly.

15. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

The "black" leather used on the McTavish actually looks very dark navy to me. Anyone else notice this?

I decided that I wouldn't buy more than one pair of black dress shoes, but the McTavish (especially at $117) changed my mind.

16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

They're doing the Dundee in calf leathers this fall, and maybe even a grain. Can't recall the exact details. It's possible these new options are being referred to as the Dundee 2.0, internally.

17. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

The mctavish is def a casual shoe no doubt about it. The kenilworth looks great with a suit but can also be dressed down with jeans.

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Agreed. I would not wear McTavish with anything other than jeans or darker 5-pocket pants

19. Bearcat1

Bearcat1 Active Member

Mcallister merlot is one of the stand out models from AE. If the 5 last fits you well it is a solid buy and a handsome shoe. They go particularly well with suits.

If you would like something a bit more versatile (for jeans and sportcoats) I would do the clifton in burgundy instead.

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Kenilworths might feel larger - definitely still worth a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.