• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have a few more photos if it helps. I am stumped. I am reading to look at the creases, but these look only worn a couple times so the creases are not very pronounced. Also, looking for a white layer of film, I can kind of see it in little spots, but still not quite sure.

Is the sole a JR with dovetail?

Denton

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply. I have a few more photos if it helps. I am stumped. I am reading to look at the creases, but these look only worn a couple times so the creases are not very pronounced. Also, looking for a white layer of film, I can kind of see it in little spots, but still not quite sure.

They don't look like Shell Cordovan, as they aren't shiny enough and don't have that sheen. I'm no expert but the creasing looks more consistent with calf as well. They almost look like the leather on the high-end Jefferson shoe that have been subjected to a bit of Saphir.

That's my not-expert opinion and could be wrong.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In this picture the shoe that is further away has two creases close to the shoe in the foreground and those little wrinkles lead me to believe that is not Cordovan...luckily in 12 hours you can call AE and get the for sure answer...keep us updated.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a totally different subject for you gents and I know this is the wrong thread...Anyone suggest some summer pants...I guess something linen...I generally wear dress shorts for about 5 months straight and while I have some pants that I can wear no problem in the summer was looking for some suggestions. I really want to wear my Walnut Boca Raton's and Strawfuts and a few other AE's more than a few times this summer,

I saw some linen style pants etc but I really do not know if they look nice or not..Would love to mix some color in too.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone advise whether these are shell cordovan or not? Forgive me, but I am a shell newb having never owned any. The leather feels different from my other Allen Edmonds, all of which as calf. Just want an expert opinion. Thank you in advance.

5237 = Sanford in Merlot calf.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
How do you keep your natural welts clean? I'm considering McTavish in natural wax. I'm concerned that the welt will look filthy after a couple of wears.
If this helps at all here are two pics of this exact shoe: the first is before ever wearing them outside the house, the second is just over a year later wearing them in an office environment about twice per week (tops - usually once per week). I do wear them from the parking garage to the actual office, however. I've worn them a few times in the rain but never in the snow. Immediately after receiving the shoes I sprayed them and continued to treat them with saddle soap and AE cleaner conditioner. I treated the edges with the natural/clear edge dressing. Because the edges got quite dirty I chose to sand them down with sandpaper to lighten them up. I know this will age the shoe dramatically but I'm not sure how else to clean them!

As you can see in the photos the edges have darkened quite a bit - even after sanding them down. As well, the color of the leather has darkened quite a bit as well. I realize these shots were taken in two different rooms with different lighting conditions. However, they most certainly do look darker than when first purchased. I'm open to ideas as to how to keep the edges clean as well - I have a number of other new pairs of AE with natural edges.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a totally different subject for you gents and I know this is the wrong thread...Anyone suggest some summer pants...I guess something linen...I generally wear dress shorts for about 5 months straight and while I have some pants that I can wear no problem in the summer was looking for some suggestions. I really want to wear my Walnut Boca Raton's and Strawfuts and a few other AE's more than a few times this summer,

I saw some linen style pants etc but I really do not know if they look nice or not..Would love to mix some color in too.

A few suggestions.

See if you can find some Incotex on sale. They make some really nice cotton/linen blends and are SF approved. Expensive, though. Here are a bunch of Incotex on Yoox: http://www.yoox.com/us/men/shoponli...age=1&attributes={'ctgr':['pntln1']}&season=X

I know Polo makes linen pants. I got a pair of cotton/linen a few seasons ago on sale that are really awesome.

Then there Brooks Brothers. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/...ult,sc.html?pmin=1&prefn1=fabric&prefv1=Linen

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these three, and all would be safe and fashionable at the same time.

I do not wear linen often, but my personal preference is a cotton/linen blend, as 100% linen quickly looks like a mess. And for some reason I think dark colors look wrong in linen - but I'm not sure if that's a common opinion.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this helps at all here are two pics of this exact shoe: the first is before ever wearing them outside the house, the second is just over a year later wearing them in an office environment about twice per week (tops - usually once per week). I do wear them from the parking garage to the actual office, however. I've worn them a few times in the rain but never in the snow. Immediately after receiving the shoes I sprayed them and continued to treat them with saddle soap and AE cleaner conditioner. I treated the edges with the natural/clear edge dressing. Because the edges got quite dirty I chose to sand them down with sandpaper to lighten them up. I know this will age the shoe dramatically but I'm not sure how else to clean them!

As you can see in the photos the edges have darkened quite a bit - even after sanding them down. As well, the color of the leather has darkened quite a bit as well. I realize these shots were taken in two different rooms with different lighting conditions. However, they most certainly do look darker than when first purchased. I'm open to ideas as to how to keep the edges clean as well - I have a number of other new pairs of AE with natural edges.
For me the first photo of the shoe has a fantastic color.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
On a totally different subject for you gents and I know this is the wrong thread...Anyone suggest some summer pants...I guess something linen...I generally wear dress shorts for about 5 months straight and while I have some pants that I can wear no problem in the summer was looking for some suggestions. I really want to wear my Walnut Boca Raton's and Strawfuts and a few other AE's more than a few times this summer,

I'm a big fan of Bonobos. Tons of unique colors. I don't see their linen collection online yet, but they're starting to sell their summer weight chinos. They even have a line of Oxford cloth pants that are very light and breathable. Great for warm weather. Highly recommended!

http://www.bonobos.com/

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://epauletnewyork.com/
http://www.styleforum.net/t/111211/epaulet-shop-official-affiliate-thread
Great MTO options.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a totally different subject for you gents and I know this is the wrong thread...Anyone suggest some summer pants...I guess something linen...I generally wear dress shorts for about 5 months straight and while I have some pants that I can wear no problem in the summer was looking for some suggestions. I really want to wear my Walnut Boca Raton's and Strawfuts and a few other AE's more than a few times this summer,

Here are some of my thoughts - some will match what others have posted and some are new ideas.

The oxford cloth slacks are great for summer. Linen is good, but will wrinkle quickly.

I am also going to suggest pincord slacks. They are usually available in a pale light blue that would show off your Boca Ratons and Strawfuts nicely. Here is are some corded cotton slacks as a suggestion
http://www.southerntide.com/products/Corded-Cotton-Pants.html

And if you are a fan, seersucker is always great for summer. Walnut Boca Ratons and Strawfuts look great with seersucker.

Chris

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few suggestions.

See if you can find some Incotex on sale. They make some really nice cotton/linen blends and are SF approved. Expensive, though. Here are a bunch of Incotex on Yoox: http://www.yoox.com/us/men/shoponli...age=1&attributes={'ctgr':['pntln1']}&season=X

I know Polo makes linen pants. I got a pair of cotton/linen a few seasons ago on sale that are really awesome.

Then there Brooks Brothers. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/...ult,sc.html?pmin=1&prefn1=fabric&prefv1=Linen

I don't think you'd go wrong with any of these three, and all would be safe and fashionable at the same time.

I do not wear linen often, but my personal preference is a cotton/linen blend, as 100% linen quickly looks like a mess. And for some reason I think dark colors look wrong in linen - but I'm not sure if that's a common opinion.

I'm a big fan of Bonobos. Tons of unique colors. I don't see their linen collection online yet, but they're starting to sell their summer weight chinos. They even have a line of Oxford cloth pants that are very light and breathable. Great for warm weather. Highly recommended!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. I will be doing some shopping this evening with your suggestions. I kept one pair of cords/Shaker Heights out for Wed when it is barely going to reach 50 so after that hoping for shorts and some of these pants until October.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the first photo of the shoe has a fantastic color.
~~Quote: Originally Posted by Buddy0329 View Post How do you keep your natural welts clean? I'm considering McTavish in natural wax. I'm concerned that the welt will look filthy after a couple of wears.

Mine never were the color of the first photo but after leather lotion and a follow up treatment of some Aussie Balm mine look walnut now. I think if you treat the edges before wearing it will help keep them clean and make them easier to clean. Mine have not gotten all that dirty and usually a damp rag takes it off. I did have a really tough spot that I used Goof Off or Goop? Can not remember which - took the spot off then I let it dry overnight and applied natural dressing to bring the shine back.

And at the end of the day it is a "rough" shoe. My only regret is not having the V tread on this or Dainite. Would be cool to have Dainite in Chili, Walnut, Natural etc...

Now that I am further along in my shoe education and truly understanding what a proper fitting shoe is this summer I will be having a bunch of shoes fitted with sole guards from B Nelson, Toe Taps and in a few cases shoes going back to AE for sole conversions.

When I first started on this forum someone gave me great advice, which I did not listen too or really understand originally....perhaps it was Halfandhalf..."Fit first"....that now completely rules for me.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score

I will second Bonobos. I have their Oxford pants and shorts and they are fantastic. Also, Haberdash has some great seersucker pants made by Southwick on sale this week. With the 25% promo code they fall in the range b/w $40 to $45.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing the calf leather RL Sandersons today. I picked these up when the outlets were clearancing them for $125.

May not be wearing shell this week since it's going to be pretty waterlogged (incl. today).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads