• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 9.5D in the #5 last (Park Aves, etc.). Anyone know what size of #2 last (Eagle County...) I am?

(Obviously I am searching this thread for insight as well.)

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
I'm a 9.5D in the #5 last (Park Aves, etc.). Anyone know what size of #2 last (Eagle County...) I am?

Most likely also 9.5D.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9.5E would be my suggestion, it runs even more narrow compared to the 5 last in my experience

Last edited:

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9.5E would be my suggestion, it runs even more narrow compared to the 5 last in my experience

Do you have a pair? I am also in Calgary. I'm wondering if I can wear these occasionally in the winter. Am I insane?

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pair? I am also in Calgary. I'm wondering if I can wear these occasionally in the winter. Am I insane?

Yeah I have a pair of Eagle County seconds that I bought specifically for a winter beater, treated them with Heavy Duty LP and the vibram sole is great.

Last edited:

Spiker

Reaction score
Shoe Polish Question:

So right now I got 2 pairs of AE, but I have never polished shoes before so I am kind of confused on the process. So basically
1. Brush shoe
2. Conditioner Cleaner
3. Polish Paste
4. Brush shoe
5. Cotton Cloth

Do I need to do condition cleaner every time? How many shoe brush/cotton cloth do I need? 2 brushes and 1 cloth for each color or can the 1st brush be shared among all shoes?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Brush shoe
2. Conditioner Cleaner
3. Buff out the cleaner - cotton cloth or brush, doesn't matter
3. Polish Paste
4. Brush shoe
5. Cotton Cloth

Yea, that's what I would do...pretty much it.....As you go along, you'll find other products, but it's pretty much the same concept. apply xyz, buff it out, apply xyz, buff it out.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe Polish Question:

So right now I got 2 pairs of AE, but I have never polished shoes before so I am kind of confused on the process. So basically
1. Brush shoe
2. Conditioner Cleaner
3. Polish Paste
4. Brush shoe
5. Cotton Cloth

Do I need to do condition cleaner every time? How many shoe brush/cotton cloth do I need? 2 brushes and 1 cloth for each color or can the 1st brush be shared among all shoes?
http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide

Spiker

Reaction score
1. Brush shoe
2. Conditioner Cleaner
3. Buff out the cleaner - cotton cloth or brush, doesn't matter
3. Polish Paste
4. Brush shoe
5. Cotton Cloth

Yea, that's what I would do...pretty much it.....As you go along, you'll find other products, but it's pretty much the same concept. apply xyz, buff it out, apply xyz, buff it out.

How many brush/cloth do you need? Like do I need a different brush for each step and each color or can 1 brush do it all?
Lastly, what is the difference/preference between polish, cream and wax? (doesnt the polish have some wax in it?)

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many brush/cloth do you need? Like do I need a different brush for each step and each color or can 1 brush do it all?
Lastly, what is the difference/preference between polish, cream and wax? (doesnt the polish have some wax in it?)

It probably doesn't make much difference but I have two brushes, one for darker shoes and one for lighter shoes. I also have one cloth per color: merlot, black, walnut etc...

But it takes a long,long time before a shoe can even change color from the polishes. I tried adding walnut polish to a dark brown shoe once for fun to see whether it will lightenup a bit, but it had no effect. I think it will take sometime before a shoe can actually change shades.

Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about cross color mixing in the brush or the cloth.

rink

Reaction score
That said, I think you have 1 other option if you want to try it. Gray suit's favorite shoe color besides black is merlot. Why not flip that palette? I bet your black grain MacNeil would look smashing with deep burgundy cords. I really think that is the only other viable option. YMMV.

I really love the idea of the black MacNeil with a dark burgundy pair of trousers...but I don't own a pair of burgundy trousers...yet! I will have to put those on my mental wish/shopping list. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, that escalated quickly - luv2, on your recommendation, I went ahead and bought a pair of burgundy cords. I checked Brooks Brothers to see if they had burgundy cords, and sure enough, not only did they have them, but they were on sale for a great price. I took that as a sign from the style gods that I should just take the plunge on them. Also got pairs in forest green and navy.

Here's a picture of the cords, how do you think I did luv2?

I think your suggestion of the black grain MacNeils will indeed look great with them. Thanks again for the superb advice!

Last edited:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Cross-posting from MTO thread:

1) STRAND
-WALNUT CALF
-INDEPENDENCE LINING & INSOLE
-DOUBLE BUTYLE LEATHER SOLE
-AE TOPLIFT
-WHEELED EDGING & FUDGING
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

2) STRAND
-MERLOT CALF
-AE TOPLIFT
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

3) STRAND
-BOURBON CALF
-NO MEDALLION
-AE TOPLIFT
-CHILI WELT
-MEDIUM BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

Last edited:

rink

Reaction score
Cross-posting from MTO thread:

1) STRAND
-WALNUT CALF
-AE TOPLIFT
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

2) STRAND
-MERLOT CALF
-AE TOPLIFT
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

3) STRAND
-BOURBON CALF
-NO MEDALLION
-AE TOPLIFT
-CHILI WELT
-MEDIUM BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
-EVERYTHING ELSE DEFAULT

Nice variations on classics, won! The bourbon ones without the medallion are quite striking. Wear them well!

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Nice variations on classics, won! The bourbon ones without the medallion are quite striking. Wear them well!

Thanks man but I can't take credit for the bourbon pair without the medallion. That was all LeviMay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads