• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these in from Brooks Brothers. I'm usually an 11.5E in AEs but I got these in 12D and they fit perfectly, and are quite comfortable right out of the box. I wasn't sure if I'd like the black grain leather but I actually like it better than the regular smooth calf for this shoe. I think the grain looks more subtle in person but for whatever reason it is amplified in photographs. Also, you can't really tell how substantial the Macneil is until you see it in person and try it on. I personally love it.

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score
Lexington vs. Harrison

I am in the market for a brown cap toe and pretty much had my mind made up on the Lexington at the sale price, but noticed there is a brown Harrison in my size via seconds for close to same sale price.

I am leaning toward the Harrison, bc. upgraded leather and supposed higher grade shoe, and the sleeker design.

Unknowns: Any experience in how the Harrison holds up (search turned up creasing issues, but no pics)? Also I am unfamiliar with how the 333 last fits

Knowns: I already know how the 65 Last (Lexington fits), my Stands in same last are by far my most comfortable shoes.

Would appreciate any input on which shoe you would go with.
@bbob2013 I can't comment on the Indy line vs the regular calf skin, but as far as the 333 last goes, I really wanted it work, but it just wasn't in the cards (for me at least).

I'm a 13E in the 5 last which gives me just a tad bit of tightness when new, but breaks in in a day or two to be very comfortable. I ordered the Parkways (333) in 13E and they were the best shoes I've ever felt width-wise, but I had an easy inch in length past the end of my big toe. I've never had to happen, but ended up sending them back for a 12EEE, which sadly, were pretty uncomfortable. The widest part of the toe box was below the widest part of the ball of my foot, so I returned them altogether. Also, I think the angle of the outside of the shoe didn't play nice with my wide forefoot (again, probably because of the toe box location). I do remember the length of the 12EEE fitting much better.

My advice: try a 333 last on in-store if you can. I might do that in the future if I'm near an AE store because I like the styling of some of the 333s.

Hope you can find some use in this response!

BL70

Reaction score

Lexington vs. Harrison 

I am in the market for a brown cap toe and pretty much had my mind made up on the Lexington at the sale price, but noticed there is a brown Harrison in my size via seconds for close to same sale price.

I am leaning toward the Harrison, bc. upgraded leather and supposed higher grade shoe, and the sleeker design.

Unknowns: Any experience in how the Harrison holds up (search turned up creasing issues, but no pics)? Also I am unfamiliar with how the 333 last fits  

Knowns: I already know how the 65 Last (Lexington fits), my Stands in same last are by far my most comfortable shoes.

Would appreciate any input on which shoe you would go with.

I have a Harrison and a fifth ave both in 11d. I feel the Harrison fits more comfortably (the 5th has some heel slip) however I get a second crease at the toe suggesting they are too long. But I never tried the 10.5 for comparison.

bbob2013

Reaction score
@bbob2013 I can't comment on the Indy line vs the regular calf skin, but as far as the 333 last goes, I really wanted it work, but it just wasn't in the cards (for me at least).

I'm a 13E in the 5 last which gives me just a tad bit of tightness when new, but breaks in in a day or two to be very comfortable. I ordered the Parkways (333) in 13E and they were the best shoes I've ever felt width-wise, but I had an easy inch in length past the end of my big toe. I've never had to happen, but ended up sending them back for a 12EEE, which sadly, were pretty uncomfortable. The widest part of the toe box was below the widest part of the ball of my foot, so I returned them altogether. Also, I think the angle of the outside of the shoe didn't play nice with my wide forefoot (again, probably because of the toe box location). I do remember the length of the 12EEE fitting much better.

My advice: try a 333 last on in-store if you can. I might do that in the future if I'm near an AE store because I like the styling of some of the 333s.

Hope you can find some use in this response!

I have a Harrison and a fifth ave both in 11d. I feel the Harrison fits more comfortably (the 5th has some heel slip) however I get a second crease at the toe suggesting they are too long. But I never tried the 10.5 for comparison.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it! Sadly, I don't think the Harrison is for me based on your experience(s) :(

I wish I could try one on in store without special order, but at 15C-D, that size is rarely in stock. But I think I heard enough, and especially if there are toe crease issues I would rather pass and go with a safer option.

Cheers!

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size would fit me? I wear 6.5UK for Loake 026/024 last, Herring and Meermin. Would 7D fit my feet? I've never worn shoes with specific width sizes, so I am not sure which width I should pick, and I am also not familiar with AE's sizing.

thanks!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

motosacto

Reaction score
I got a pair of Brooks Brothers Macneil's in black alpine grain this week, too. Unfortunately, the pair I received has a major, fundamental flaw. On the left shoe, the right side lace tab is placed too far back. It's really easy to see (picture below). If you count the brogue punches, the tab placement on the left shoe is a whole punch distance behind the tab placement on the right shoe. The result is that the shoe upper is distorted. The distortion of the shoe upper is obvious.

Brooks Brothers has been great about the return process, so I'm trying again with another pair.

There's a bigger picture issue, however. I just can't understand how shoes this flawed made it through what should be basic quality control checks at the factory. Any ideas?

tjyoung

Reaction score
luv2, I have really enjoyed reading your advice and expertise in this thread.  So much so, in fact, that I decided to register to ask you a question.  I recently purchased the BB MacNeil in black grain, which fits this description to a T.  I have been strictly wearing them with dark gray trousers in a business casual setting, so I am glad to hear that my instincts have been correct (I pair the dark gray trousers with a light blue or white shirt, sometimes with a tie--typically some variation of dark navy or burgundy).  What I was wondering was whether the shoes may be paired with any other color of trousers?  The only other color that came to mind was a dark navy pair of trousers - though I typically do not like black shoes with dark navy trousers (reminds me too much of a police uniform, IMHO).  I am fine if the MacNeils can only be paired with dark gray trousers, because I have several of those, but wanted to know if the shoes were a little more versatile than just dark gray trousers.

Thanks in advance for your input.  Again, your advice has really been a welcome addition to this thread!
Aww shucks, thanks for the compliments. The reason I say the casual black shoe is so hard to use is precisely because your trouser options are so limited.

Light colored trousers are right out, so you lose most of your standard khaki's, etc. you are right to avoid navy for the exact reasons you mentioned, it's gone. Your olive trousers will always look better with brown given the earth tones. Same goes from your brown trousers, they'll pair much better with slightly contrasting brown shoes. So what are you really left with? Pretty much nothing.

That said, I think you have 1 other option if you want to try it. Gray suit's favorite shoe color besides black is merlot. Why not flip that palette? I bet your black grain MacNeil would look smashing with deep burgundy cords. I really think that is the only other viable option. YMMV.
Also, you are right to look for a dark brown shoe. I think the kenilworth is a great choice, but I like dark brown split toes A LOT too. Give delray or lasalle a look if the last works for you.

What are your thoughts on the brown Parkway? Currently trying to sell mine on eBay but I'll rethink if you think it's a worthy shoe.

cincikid

Reaction score
I've just seen perhaps the ugliest MacNeil AE ever produced. Interestingly, the seller says it's on a crepe sole.

It seems to have a very Mark McNairy feel to it, but while I do like some McNairy's make-ups, this shoe completely lacks style, IMO.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

luv2breformed

Reaction score

What are your thoughts on the brown Parkway? Currently trying to sell mine on eBay but I'll rethink if you think it's a worthy shoe.

I don't hate it. I really think brown split toe bluchers are a great and versatile shoe. That said the parkway puts me off a bit because of the 3 eyelets. It makes the proportions seem a little off, it almost gives it a longer sleeker look but the moc-toe makes it more casual which does not comport. I prefer the 5 eyelet on the delray, I think it has better proportions. That said his is kind of a nitpick, so if you were getting rid of it to replace with a different brown split toe blucher I would say to proceed. However if you were just a little unsure about the idea of a brown split toe in general, I would tell you to reconsider and perhaps keep it. YMMV.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just seen perhaps the ugliest MacNeil AE ever produced. Interestingly, the seller says it's on a crepe sole.

It seems to have a very Mark McNairy feel to it, but while I do like some McNairy's make-ups, this shoe completely lacks style, IMO.
This is an abomination.
Period.

tjyoung

Reaction score
I don't hate it. I really think brown split toe bluchers are a great and versatile shoe. That said the parkway puts me off a bit because of the 3 eyelets. It makes the proportions seem a little off, it almost gives it a longer sleeker look but the moc-toe makes it more casual which does not comport. I prefer the 5 eyelet on the delray, I think it has better proportions. That said his is kind of a nitpick, so if you were getting rid of it to replace with a different brown split toe blucher I would say to proceed. However if you were just a little unsure about the idea of a brown split toe in general, I would tell you to reconsider and perhaps keep it. YMMV.

I'm almost tempted to have you analyze each of my 20+ pairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads