• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilWagon

Reaction score
Regarding the MTO program, is there an upcharge to switch to the dainite sole over the v-tap on the sale mcallisters?

Kwaker

Reaction score

Well guys, I dun goofed. I didn't like the caramel skin colored color of my boarhide chukkas, so I took some dark brown polish to em. I suck at polishing and thus there are uneven patches and places where it hasnt polished. Any tips? Does this new brown color look like crap? Can i possibly remove the polish?
It's a casual shoe ... so not a disaster. Another go around with the polish will darken it further and even it out.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Sporting my chili Manhattan whole cuts today. WIth all the posts on chili today, thought I'd add my own contribution :)

I love this shoe! When did they stop making it? I'd give a pretty penny for a black pair.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this shoe! When did they stop making it? I'd give a pretty penny for a black pair.

OptoDoc, this is one of the zero last shoes that everyone loves and questions why AE ever stopped making them. Evanston, Soho, Manhattan . . .

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I just received the Shoe Bank seconds belt list (size 34) and they have an older model Wide Basic Dress Belt for $39 and the current one for $79. Does anyone know the main differences between the two? All Kristle could tell me is that she thinks the older one is shinier.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Evanston, Soho, Manhattan . . .

I've loved the look of all of these
confused.gif

OptoDoc

Reaction score
My MTO Eagle County's are being held at FedEx. This will be a loooong day as I wait to see if they are as beautiful as I pictured them.

We can still do MTOs on sale priced shoes, but no longer on clearance priced shoes...correct? I'd love to make a casual shoe (golden or natural CXL with a rubber sole) out of the Lexington.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
I'm curious - because I tend to be very strict in the "dark bals with suits" idea - which of these two rule-breaking scenarios is preferable?

A) walnut or bourbon bal
B) black loafer

Great, which iniquity is preferable to commit? :p

In all honesty, I would find a black loafer pretty much completely useless. I tend to only wear black shoes with monochrome outfits and/or formal outfits. Since a formal outfit is automatically out for a loafer, you are left with very monochrome casual outfits with which it can be worn. Your pants would pretty much HAVE to be mid to charcoal gray so as to have a proper contrast with the shoes. Then you are stuck with a light gray jacket for the top (MAYBE cream), your shirt will pretty much have to be a white OCBD worn open collar or with a black knit tie. That's about it.

EVERYWHERE that a black loafer will work a black Mora 2.0 will work better IMO. Additionally it is more versatile all around and could be worn with a very casual suit or a smart monochrome odd jacket combo where loafers wouldn't feel right. (Which is precisely why I bought one in the last sale ^_^)

Compare that to a walnut or bourbon bal. It's primary use would be to wear it with a casual light gray suit. They are like best friends. Additionally, if you don't mind the super contrast you COULD wear it with a very casual navy suit (just don't tell me about it. :p). Finally if were feeling like a REAL rebel, they could be worn with a very dressy (city) odd jacket combo. Very sharp Blue blazer up top and mid to light gray trousers on the bottom.

TL;DR: A) walnut or bourbon bal

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my question is this..if Black shoes seem to go with virtually nothing why is it such a common shoe? Is this anti black pants or black shoes just something of a fad like hopefully rolling up ones pants? :)

Is the no black shoes thing just for suits?

On to a different question - If you had to pick a shoe to have made in blue suede what would it be? I am in the process of trying to get a correct Spiaggia fitting blue suede and so far have not been a fan of the Gumlite sole or the odd golf ball heel lump on two so far - I will deal with it if I can get the below shoe for the $125 price that I paid. That being said if I can not I would like to get a blue suede made up and was curious what the thoughts were... I certainly could do a McCallister MTO with a red or black Dainite sole - I think going to the jefferson is overkill. Any thoughts on a Lexington done in blue suede...not limited to sale items either.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

My MTO Eagle County's are being held at FedEx. This will be a loooong day as I wait to see if they are as beautiful as I pictured them.

We can still do MTOs on sale priced shoes, but no longer on clearance priced shoes...correct? I'd love to make a casual shoe (golden or natural CXL with a rubber sole) out of the Lexington.

Yep correct!

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

On to a different question - If you had to pick a shoe to have made in blue suede what would it be? I am in the process of trying to get a correct Spiaggia fitting blue suede and so far have not been a fan of the Gumlite sole or the odd golf ball heel lump on two so far - I will deal with it if I can get the below shoe for the $125 price that I paid. That being said if I can not I would like to get a blue suede made up and was curious what the thoughts were... I certainly could do a McCallister MTO with a red or black Dainite sole - I think going to the jefferson is overkill. Any thoughts on a Lexington done in blue suede...not limited to sale items either.
I own a pair of navy suede Alden PTB's that I like very much. I think a pair of Kenilworth (or Leeds, if you prefer the 1-last) made up with navy suede would look pretty good. I guess the Lexington should look pretty close as well, and may be the preferable option with the sale going on now. A pair of navy suede Strands or McCallister MTO should be nice too. Navy suede Strand would probably look similar to this pair of Aldens:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The navy suede strands are nice. I own a pair!

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of navy suede Alden PTB's that I like very much. I think a pair of Kenilworth (or Leeds, if you prefer the 1-last) made up with navy suede would look pretty good. I guess the Lexington should look pretty close as well, and may be the preferable option with the sale going on now.

A pair of navy suede Strands or McCallister MTO should be nice too. Navy suede Strand would probably look similar to this pair of Aldens

Standmok:

Webgem:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads