1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Anyone know the carlyle in black? Do you mind posting pictures from a few angles?

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Makes sense. Luckliy for me here in SE Asia I can pretty much wear loafers any any time. Id say apart form my workbooks, my loafers get the most wear :)

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

My avatar happens to be the Carlyle in black, for however much that helps.

4. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Kinda. I'm torn between the carlyle and the carmina work wear in terms of basic black shoes. First world issues

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Mine are as yet inaccessible -- but they look very, very good.

Thanks for clarifying, men. It makes me feel much better. I certainly paid a fair price and expect to be utterly tickled when I get a structurally and aesthetically sound pair. :happy:

6. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

In a good way. They look almost like a natural shell people have been posting lately. Maybe that first pic is a bit over exposed or it's the light laces that did it. Your second pic looks more like my pair, although I'd say mine have more of an orangey hue to them as well.

The Black Hills were my first ever pair of AE, so even though I measured a 9.5, we found a 10 fit me most excellently. It's been the guidepost to all my subsequent 5 last shoes and I have not had to deviate yet.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I agree on Bourbon. I have the bourbon Carlyle that I wear bus casual( dress slacks) at work, and the occasional navy suit. I love the richness of the color. My favorite pair of shoes.

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Those are fantastic! I would love to run into a pair of those for $120, for sure you should get them if you didn't already.

9. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Thanks for posting that picture. I had been contemplating a brown fifth street. Seeing it there next to the Bob's Chili Bleecker, which I also already have, helped me decide. I really prefer the Bleecker.

10. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

I've got Cognac McTavish and Black McTavish (both from shoebank, and the black was $117, woo hoo!). I wanted to get Lamar belts to go with them. I had seen one or two of the Lamar on shoebank, but they were gone. Both colors are currently available on allenedmonds.com for $98.

Is this strange or something that you see often? While at a storefront, I asked if they had any of the Lamar belts in stock a week ago. I was told that they didn't, but that they could order both the Cognac and the black for me for $29.97 each. So the website doesn't (and hasn't) shown them on sale or clearance or on shoebank, but the storefronts (two told me the same thing) are selling them for 70% off? Yeah, I ordered both.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Cappuccino Shell Jeffersons.

[​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  12. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I do too but they are really two different breeds. While either can be dressed up or down, I think the balmoral Fifth Streets are more at home with suits while the Bleecker Streets are a natural fit with more casual outfits. I bought the Fifth Streets before the Bleecker Streets came out and didn't want to miss out on the chance to get a balmoral boot. If I could only have one, it would be the Bleecker Streets but then I don't wear suits that often.

13. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Anyone know what the difference is supposed to be between shoes that retail for $385 and $295? Is it entirely based in the type of leather used, or are there other differences? And why are golf shoes priced at the lower price point when they use calf?

14. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

carmina is a far better shoe. It is also less than AE firsts. No brainer.

15. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

If the OPs feet fit the Carmina lasts then I 100% agree go for the Carminas. I also think they are more versatile than the Carlyles. However if you are a EEE or AA or have feet in the 13 and above size, nobody can beat AE in terms of offering wide variety of widths and length combination.

16. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

^This.

I just purchase a beautiful pair of snuff suede Adelaides from Carmina that have a spot of dye or polish on the toe. Emailed Carmina a few times and was told to use a nail file on the spot. Radio silence after that. Still, not Meermin shitty service, but not AE level.

They dont fit as well as my AE's either, but thats not a knock on them, just not an agreeable last for me. I'll keep them because of the paucity of options for that shoe, but Carmina has its own challenges due to limited sizing, difficulty in trying on different lasts, international shipping and lower levels of CS.

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

You're probably talking in USD. In Canadian it's still going to be more with shipping etc but I am in agreement that carmina is better

19. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Are we expecting early sale on the ShoeBank this Easter Sunday?

20. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy Friday, everyone! Amoks today for me. Plain laces today, as I was too lazy to swamp them out for my usual red or fire orange. As always, sorry for the crappy, washed out cell pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.