1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Haha! Now I know! (from the boot thread) Re quality I agree with you wholeheartedly. Another good example is the pair of Loake chukkas i got for less than $275. Top line 1880 model calf with dainite sole. Absolutely flawless and very well made. If Ae made them theyd probably start at $400. I wish we would see better quality overall with AE

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Robin and the New Orleans crew are awesome. Tammy, Gerald and Romi usually joke around with me when I'm there. I should've picked up some more AEs during the Nordstrom sale. Kicking myself for it. Wish I would've picked some oxblood.

3. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Those look great. Have they been discontinued for awhile?

4. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Seeking opinions. How do you guys feel about the larchmont? Not sure why, but the name doesn't sound appealing. That's not a big deal, just wanted to mention it. I see most get the Macniel

5. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

Although I said I wasn't a fan of that EC makeup, I would have bought them for $127!

6. Al Dente

Al Dente Well-Known Member

I like it, and I agree the name makes me think of Lurch.

7. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Haha. Same here!

8. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

Wow, they don't even look like Black Hills in the first pic! I'll admit I haven't done much with mine either. Guys at the store recommended saddle soap for 'em. I've only used it twice so far.

9. RichieP

RichieP Well-Known Member

You guys are totally making me regret not getting those shell Townleys. Totally gorgeous!
    Even pepper's Bradley's are looking good. I must be going through shoe buying withdrawals or something. I agree that AE is missing the boat on their product photography. They should be licensing many of the images found here in this very thread.

10. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Well, I just got my answer. The warwicks run HUGE. Long and wide. I wear a 9.5E in the 108 and my foot was swimming in the same size warwicks. I'd need either a 9.5D or possibly a 9.0E.

I also noticed that the insoles had absolutely no text- has anyone ever seen this? They were advertised as "new with defects" on ebay, so I assume same same as factory seconds. But all of my secones always had the standard allen edmonds and model name stamped on the insole.

11. middlepP

middlepP Well-Known Member

In a good or bad way? How do you size them, @RichieP ? The SA at my store recommended I go down a half size from my usual 5 last. (I'm glad I didn't, as I have thought a time or two that they are barely long enough as is.) I actually bought them thinking they would be great to recraft in a natural welt. Changed my mind as soon as I unboxed them.

12. lvrpl

lvrpl Active Member

I'm about to buy a pair of Fifth Avenues and could use some advice on whether to get them in bourbon or brown burnished. They'll be primarily worn with slacks and a button up (biz casual, with a strong tilt more towards the biz side of the spectrum), though I might occasionally pair them with a charcoal or navy suit (not very often, though).

I keep going back and forth on whether the brown burnished is too dark or whether the bourbon is a touch too light. My other shoes as of now are black Park Avenues and walnut Strands.

So what do you think? Burnished brown or bourbon? Thanks for any thoughts!

13. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

I say go bourbon. Can always darken with polish. Brown would be hard to lighten if it's too dark.

14. misterellington

misterellington Well-Known Member

For the record, at the Burlington Coat Factory Stores here in NYC, i'm still running across batches of odd, sometimes discontinued or “special make” AEs—particularly at the 6th Avenue & 22nd Street and Union Square/14th Street Stores. Saw an absolutely awesome pair butter-colored suede 12 3E Sanibel loafers—immaculate, not a scuff on 'em for $99.00 and without the telltale “Seconds” marking on the sole at Union Square. There were about seven pairs of Chili Maxfield Loafers at the 6th Avenue Store, albeit in a B width and in the size range of 9 1/2 through 14.

These badasses though were at the Union Square Store...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This gorgeous pair of Black Bradley Split-Toe Bluchers in 11 1/2 B. For the whopping price of $139.00 (!) Damned immaculate. No “Seconds” marking. No stitch-drift on the sole bottom or any blemishes whatsoever. I tucked 'em on the bottom right of the 11 1/2 shelf there.

Go get 'em, fellas!

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

New old stock that I picked up last summer at a retailer in NJ. Walnut shell is unavailable. hopefully they bring it back, it's a nice hybrid of Alden Whiskey/Ravello or Carmina Saddle/Cognac.

16. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

I say go with the brown burnished, since you already have black and walnut--and bourbon is pretty close to walnut.

17. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

Gunboats are clunky shoes. The quintessential longwing has a split reverse welt and a double sole. The Larchmont is on a sleeker last, with a regular flat welt and a single oak sole. Stylish as all hell -- but not what most people think of when the term "longwing" gets thrown around, and so less popular.

I've never had occasion to consider any 333-last shoe since they don't make 'em narrow enough to fit me, but I think the Larchmont looks good.

18. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

It is supposed to be 85 degrees today so I'm giving the Strawfuts a run.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. JSO1

JSO1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the two different approaches to longwings are both cool in their own way. I love the classic gunboat clunkiness of the MacNeil (and others like the Alden Barrie longwing, Florsheim Royal Imperial longwing, etc.), but really appreciate the sleek likes of the McGregor or the Larchmont. I do think the more chiseled look of the Larchmont doesn't work quite as well with the sleek longwing as the McGregor, though.

20. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.