1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I wouldn't say the BB MacNeil is close to walnut. It's definitely darker, more brown with hues of red. For your intended purpose I would go for the BB MacNeils.

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Great looking shoes. Are those the Sanfords?

Chris

3. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. What if I say that, I know that one is a blucher and the other is a bal and that both are on different lasts 7 vs 5..
    I quoted the 5 last size for reference only, but I should have been more clear by specifying my Brannock size which is between 10D and E (more towards E).

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Don't abandon both...:) They're both really good. If you've never tried AE I don't have much of a baseline to go with so this isn't too easy. You know how when you get something like the CH Ascot, Santa Barbara, Air Grant, Pinch, they sort of either fit or they don't? AE has so many different lasts and variations within the lasts that you get a more custom fit. Brunos & Ferragamos sort of have a range - some are very narrow and sleek, others are wider. If you have ever tried on a Tods, they run super wide, like a real relaxed fit. The Arrezo is like that. The Firenze is more like a normal fit. I would not consider it narrow by any means. AE's 222 last (things like the Norwich, San Marco, etc.) are what I would consider narrow. If you can, try on the Arrezzo & Firenze and see what you think. The Verona is good but I don't think the leather sole holds up too well on the Italians.

BTW - you made a wise decision getting out of the CHs - believe me, I bought them forever and know them all, AE is far better.

5. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

I have a couple AE's, including a pair of Lake Shore Tassels that I absolutely love. My feet are narrow but I'm open to anything. I like AE's style of loafers so I'm open to anything as long as they are narrow. I would love to try them on, but the Nordstrom near me doesn't have the Firenze or anything.

6. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

For those of you who have received seconds from the Shoe Bank, can you help me decide if the following defect is acceptable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My wife says it looks like someone chewed on them, but to me, looks like there was excess leather. There is also minor tiger-stripping, but I am not worried about that.

Thanks!

7. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

No, I would not find that acceptable. I just had a stone suede MacGregor with that issue. I did not accept it.

8. david4king

david4king Well-Known Member

I don't think it is too bad. That looks like it would be more of a visual issue than structural. It would depend in the price point you got them at as to weather or not I would return them. If you paid $177, I would keep, if they were $299 then I would return.

9. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

Very similar. Same last and I can't tell the difference, but these are the Lamonts made for Jos a Bank. There were a few left at $127 last I spoke with the factory. I almost bought both pairs in 11.5D.

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

PSA - There is a walnut shell Dalton on the 'bay in a size 9.5 E. Unworn. Not mine.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I have a pair in 8E worn twice. I plan to throw them up in B&S within the next few days. If anyone wants a deal PM me

12. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

I actually paid $157. So while I know at this price point it is a quality shoe, I am not sure I want to spend that much on something rather ugly. Moreover, this is the last listed pair of these shoes in my size on the Shoe Bank.

13. mb12044

mb12044 New Member

So I have a pair of stands in bourbon that have been worn probably 6 times and I noticed a slight discloration in the toe. I started to rub it with some water and paper towel and now it seems that the bourbon polish wore off and now the walnut coloring is coming through. How do I fix this. Do I just buy some Polish from ae or conditioner. Can someone please help me as I love these shoes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

With a defect like that, best to decide based on how they look laced up, on foot. I have a feeling that part straightens out on your foot, and may be covered by your pants anyway.

15. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Where are you guys seeing sub 200 prices @ shoebank? All I see is $299 for the popular styles.

16. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I want those soooooo bad, but there's no way I can justify spending $700 on a pair of shoes unfortunately.

17. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

they are worth it! [​IMG]

18. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I own both the walnut grain MacNeil and cognac McTavish, and I give the slight edge to the McT. Love that shoe. Own it in cognac and natural tan. J

19. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

If memory serves, Bourbon is Walnut burnished either Black. You could carefully try polishing that area with black, or perhaps dark brown. J

20. mb12044

mb12044 New Member

I have a brown and black ae carnauba wax polish. I tried and it just seemed to buff off. I'm going to run into ae tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.