• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but it really isn't correct. I was using MTO in the general sense of the word, that the shoe is not in stock and thus is made once the customer orders it. This is by definition what it means. The issue we are discussing is whether or not you can go into an AE store or order a shoe online in a EE width without AE having to make the shoe.
I have to disagree. MTO as part of the custom shoe program is non returnable and carries a $150 custom charge (disregarding the waived fee for SF members).

What you are speaking of will be made up for the customer, but is returnable and does not garner a custom charge. It will be made up with zero customization.

FWIW, AE has to make up a majority of the shoes to order, because they don't stock many finished shoes. They generally stock uppers only.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Exactly.

delmar

Reaction score
I went to the Port Washington factory store this morning. I scored a pair of Clark Street seconds. My usual size is 12E, but I went with 11.5EEE and I'm happy with the fit. I got the shoes, a clearance belt, and a seconds quality pair of trees--all for less than $250.00. If I had been able to stick around for a couple more hours, I might have got the chance to meet Wisconsin's governor Scott Walker--he was scheduled to arrive there at 2:30.

rc121

Reaction score

I have to disagree. MTO as part of the custom shoe program is non returnable and carries a $150 custom charge (disregarding the waived fee for SF members). 

What you are speaking of will be made up for the customer, but is returnable and does not garner a custom charge. It will be made up with zero customization.

FWIW, AE has to make up a majority of the shoes to order, because they don't stock many finished shoes. They generally stock uppers only. 
You were inferring something that I did not say. You are entirely correct that MTO as part of the custom shoe program is different, I was not referring to the custom shoe program, of which I am very well aware of.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Appealing to owners of both AE and Carmina,

I wear a 8.5E in the Allen Edmonds 5-65 last and 9D in the AE 1-511 last and 9E in the AE 2-222 last.

Do you think a UK8 in the Rain last would fit me well?

Thank you.

I wear Ae 8 EEE or 8.5 E in all Ae lasts . Wear uk 8 in rain last .

Last edited:

LeviMay

Reaction score

so are you saying that something I said was inaccurate? Or are you confirming that the strand is available in EE through MTO but not carried as stock by AE?

I was agreeing that the 5-Last is available in an EE-width, as you said. Mine was a MTO, so I'm not sure if it's available stock or not.

rc121

Reaction score

I was agreeing that the 5-Last is available in an EE-width, as you said. Mine was a MTO, so I'm not sure if it's available stock or not.
ya, its interesting though if you go on the AE site and filter the search for EE width that not all 5 last shoes show up and I did see some 7 last shoes in there

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the BB Macneil isn't offered in widths. I am an 11.5E in the 5 last (Park Ave, Strand), and am wondering if maybe the 11.5D or 12D will fit me in the Macneil. I have been biding my time to spring for these in black and am considering these as this looks like a great deal. Anybody have any real life photos of the Black Macneils in grain leather?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that the BB Macneil isn't offered in widths. I am an 11.5E in the 5 last (Park Ave, Strand), and am wondering if maybe the 11.5D or 12D will fit me in the Macneil. I have been biding my time to spring for these in black and am considering these as this looks like a great deal. Anybody have any real life photos of the Black Macneils in grain leather?
I wear an E width in the 5 last and a D width in everything else including the 7 last (same as the MacNeil).

SimplyLime

Reaction score

The Mora 2.0 is on sale for $260 right now. Firsts.

I dont think i could go any further with 100$ for the first. Since both the grayson and mora seconds already took a chunk of my next month's allowance

Its hard to dress nice on a budget in college. Sigh.

Most of us can just hang around and wait for the next big seconds sale -- but keep in mind these shoes are built to sell for $365, and if your seconds look good you've picked up two pairs of shoes for just a little bit more than a guy off the street would pay for one.

Reasonable? Absolutely. Given your circumstances you did a fine job. I hope they fit well and look good!

Im glad to know my purchases were reasonable. I also like to think of it as a good investment in the long run. Building up my shoe colllection earlier

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont think i could go any further with 100$ for the first. Since both the grayson and mora seconds already took a chunk of my next month's allowance

Its hard to dress nice on a budget in college. Sigh.
Im glad to know my purchases were reasonable. I also like to think of it as a good investment in the long run. Building up my shoe colllection earlier

You don't need to have a shoe collection per se. You need a pair of shoes you can interview with and the rest can be business casual or casual depending on your intended working field or what you do for fun.

Most of the members here could do with a third of their collection, but just like shoes. None of this is by any means necessary.

College also means debauchery. I wouldn't wear my best shoes out to parties in college. Chucks/clarks/etc are better suited for that. Separate wants and needs. You're better off spending the money on other things in college... like booze.

Additionally, ebay is a great source for finding used shoes and clothes if you know what to look for. You can look quite put together without breaking the bank if you figure out what direction you want to take and start with the essential items.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I've referred to it in passing a few times, I'll just come out and say it: I really like the Lexington. For some reason it really works on the 5 last, and it shows in person. I think the longer cap toe is a good complement for this last. They'll never change the toe cap on the Park Avenue, but maybe that's a good thing, so there's a little contrast and choice with the Lexington.

I'd encourage anyone who's on the fence to go ahead and order while they are on sale. You can always return them.. but I bet you won't.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I've referred to it in passing a few times, I'll just come out and say it: I really like the Lexington. For some reason it really works on the 5 last, and it shows in person. I think the longer cap toe is a good complement for this last. They'll never change the toe cap on the Park Avenue, but maybe that's a good thing, so there's a little contrast and choice with the Lexington.

I'd encourage anyone who's on the fence to go ahead and order while they are on sale. You can always return them.. but I bet you won't.

Thoughts on the 4 pairs of eyes rather than the usual 5 or 6?

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on the 4 pairs of eyes rather than the usual 5 or 6?

I know what you mean, but somehow it works in person with the proportions of the shoe. It is a blucher, so not designed to be too dressy. I actually bought these as travel work shoes that could work the spectrum from suit to casual in a pinch. I think now I would consider buying them as a more regular rotation shoe in something like bourbon or chili if I had a spot open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads