1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevisIsland

RevisIsland Senior member

Another option if you are interested in Strand is to try The Shoe Bank. The Strand for Brooks Brothers model is $199, worth a shot to see if they have them in your size. Must call to find out.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Putting these through the paces...so far so good

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

True, but those are seconds. For one's first pair of AE, unless cost is a huge issue, it's always better to see what the full-quality offering is like.

1 person likes this.
  4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

5. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

6. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

AE first still usually have some minor flaws. Quality is the same, it's usually very minor issues. Two of my seconds I can't tell what the issue was other than a singld missed punch in a medallion, which is nearly impossible to notice.

Also chili > walnut

7. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

[​IMG]oh snap

8. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I've had good luck with Shoe Bank as well, and they even refused to sell a pair of olive neumok's because they had a dye flaw. They're pretty honest when you talk to them on the phone if you ask "what are the flaws?"

I wish they had actual photos of the shoes for sale though on the website or that they could email

9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

It looks like shell is back in the shoe bank (at least in size 14AA) at the same ol' $499 price. I wonder why they disappeared a few days back, only to return.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Here is a shot I took today at my local menswear / shoe store. Ascher, Warwick, and Rogue.
    [​IMG]

Chris

2 people like this.
  11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Great shot of the Odenwalds. I like my black Odenwalds - now you are making me consider getting a pair in brown.

Chris

12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Thanks for the in person pic. How do the Warwick and Rogue fit compared to your standard 5 last?

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

With the Rogue, 9D fit me very well. I am a 9.5D in the 5 last and about 95% of my other AE's. The 9.5D Rogue fit OK, but there was a lot of volume in the toe box and it looked like there would be some weird creasing. The 9D Rogue fit me like a glove.

I could not try on the Warwick - they sold the 9D and 9.5D before I could get over there! But they have some more coming.

Chris

14. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Looking to fill a couple of gaps in my Allen Edmonds collection. (6 pairs since last October and a 7th on the way - thanks for enabling me you filthy barnweasels!)

I think the biggest gap I have is that I'm missing a chukka/desert boot. I'm not ready to head down the rabbit-hole and into world of cordovan with Dundees, and I think the Bellevue is pretty ugly. So, if I stick with AE, my only choice is really the Gobi. Which is fine, because I really like the simple look of it.

So, I'm trying to figure out which version to go with. The blue and snuff suede versions are only available as seconds, but the tan leather version is still in production. I prefer the tan leather over the sued for a couple of reasons:
    1. I live in Chicago and am worried about salt damage for a good 5 months out of the year. Plus, it kind of strikes me as
    2. The suede versions strike me as more "fall-only" kinds of boots, but I'd like to be able to wear them year-round in a business casual environment. If there were a lighter color suede, I'd probably be more open to it.
    3. I feel like the leather is more durable than suede

Now, I'll be honest. I haven't owned a pair of suede shoes in almost 25 years. So, my assumptions could very well be way off-base. If I'm selling suede short, I'd be remiss if I went to look for a pair at some point in the near future and found them completely off the Shoebank and vanished into the ether. However, I don't have quite enough banked up to buy the leather Gobis, but that $147 price on the Shoebank is awfully tempting for the suede.

So, the long and the short of it is: Who has the Gobi? Which version do you have? Do you regret not getting the other? Do you love it? Are you just sort of "meh" about it?

I know, I'm way overthinking this, but it's late on a Friday and it's been a long week, so I wanted to let my mind run with it for a bit.

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

If you can find a decent pair in the shoebank why not try the Bleecker St chukka? They're $179 I think.

16. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

I'm not sure I'd consider the Bleecker Street a chukka. It feels like more of a dress boot to me, especially with a cap toe. Plus, that's a tough one to get right, especially with every other post about it being about the puckering issue with the leather.

I admit, it's a sharp-looking boot. But, I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for at just this moment.

17. CMR16

CMR16 Active Member

I have checked them out online but my feet are smaller and narrow so I have distrust in buying online rather than in-store. The Firenze has my attention but I want to try in person before buying. One of the reasons why I have worn Cole Haan for so long. They fit my feet perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

You're right - the Bleecker is more of a hybrid chukka / dress boot. That said, it's still a really sweet boot that likely won't be made again.

If you're dead set on a more "desert boot" style chukka, then the Gobi should fit your needs just fine, whether in suede or in leather.

I think the Dundee is one of the best chukkas out there, even between other manufacturers. There are some dedicated, hardcore Alden guys who still swear by the Dundee. Of course, as you said, it's only available in shell right now.

And just so you know, if you're willing to wait it out, AE is bringing the Dundee back in other leathers besides shell.

19. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Those look awesome Kahuna. Great pick up. How do you find the fit? Similar to any other last?

20. tradbrah

tradbrah Senior member

What size are you? See my sig for a couple of pairs of suede Gobi's I'm selling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.