• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carmina is not currently accepting any new shell orders due to scarcity of shell cordovan

Get those AE MTO shell orders in while you can!!!! ;)

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

It's possible that Carmina, like Rancourt, dyes shell itself.  Rancourt gets only natural and Color 8 from Horween, and dyes the former green, navy, etc.  It may also be true that what Carmina calls "cognac" is what Rancourt calls natural.

I'm sure there are other shell-hounds in this thread (are your ears burning, mdubs?) who know more about this than I do . . . .

Who? What? Oh Shell Colors!

I find Ashland Leather to be a good representation of what Horween actually produces. I am pretty certain that Cognac is indeed a Horween color. I am pretty certain that Horween makes Navy and Green shell, but probably in very limited quantities.

-Mike

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case my prior message got buried from all the Shell goodness :).

What size do you take comparing the 8 last (lasalle, delray etc...) to the 5 last (Pa, Fa, Strands, Macallister)

Thanks.

BL70

Reaction score

BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Length was the same for me on the 8 to the 5. 11.5. Seemed to get the ball of my foot in the right place. Tried my normal 12D and was to far back. Width felt good on the 8 with a D. For me the 5 last D is snug but not uncomfortable/painful. E is a bit more generous but not falling off. So my conclusion on the 8 is your normal width and down a half size. As always your mileage may vary.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

So the consensus is is to go down 1/2 a size but keep the same width for the 8 last compared to the 5 last? as in 8.5D 8-last = 9D 5-last?

I'm a 9D in the 5-last for sure, but if I go down to 8.5D, that's pretty much barrie last territory for me (I'm an 8.5D in the barrie last)...., I'll check it out. Thanks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^

So the consensus is is to go down 1/2 a size but keep the same width for the 8 last compared to the 5 last? as in 8.5D 8-last = 9D 5-last?

I'm a 9D in the 5-last for sure, but if I go down to 8.5D, that's pretty much barrie last territory for me (I'm an 8.5D in the barrie last)...., I'll check it out. Thanks.

No, no. Go down a half size in length from your brannock size, which would be the same as the 5 last.

As always YMMV

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

In case my prior message got buried from all the Shell goodness :)

What size do you take comparing the 8 last (lasalle, delray etc...) to the 5 last (Pa, Fa, Strands, Macallister) 

Thanks. 

My Brannock size is 9D and I take 9D in both the 5 and 8 last. I think the heel area is slightly wider on the 5 last and the rest of the shoe feels about the same.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Is it appropriate to offer critiques or criticisms in this thread? I only ask because I am relatively new here and don't want to ruffle any feathers.

BL70

Reaction score

Looks good to me!  Never heard of calf and cotton pants not pairing well together...

I was probably just over interpreting. 'Dress' cotton works well but maybe harder to pull off with a very casual cotton. But as awlays if it looks good wear it :)

coldsalmon

Reaction score

BB walnut fifth ave seconds. Some say calf and cotton don't mix but I like these pants with them.
I saw a guy the other day wearing some walnut Fifth Avenues (AE walnut, which is lighter than the BB color judging by your pic). They looked great, very elegant. I am considering getting a pair.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was probably just over interpreting. 'Dress' cotton works well but maybe harder to pull off with a very casual cotton. But as awlays if it looks good wear it :)

I wear chino's with my strand's at work. They look fine, don't over think the "rules" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads