• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiker

Reaction score
Can someone share their experience with the V-thread rubber sole? Is it just better for the rain? How much better?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a two tone shoe junkie....inspired by the black and white MTO Jefferson recently placed by a forum member....I am really pondering a Black and Burgundy Jefferson.. This was the first shoe I really wanted and could not get as a broadstreet and now feeling the comfort difference having just got my walnut Jeff's.....eeesssh

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone share their experience with the V-thread rubber sole? Is it just better for the rain? How much better?

I love it on my Shaker Heights, Neumoks, Morgan, etc...I find these are the shoes I reach for when there is a chance of rain. I can not attest to the long term wear of them. Only thing is they are a son of a....to get the doggy doodie out of. I have not decided to add sole guards on a few more pairs and most any pair I send to AE for sole re-crafting will get the V-tread.

I walk down a set of steel mesh fire escape style stairs when I leave work daily and never go that way if I am wearing leather soled and it is raining. V treads no issue at all -

Last edited:

Spiker

Reaction score
I love it on my Shaker Heights, Neumoks, Morgan, etc...I find these are the shoes I reach for when there is a chance of rain. I can not attest to the long term wear of them. Only thing is they are a son of a....to get the doggy doodie out of. I have not decided to add sole guards on a few more pairs and most any pair I send to AE for sole re-crafting will get the V-tread.

I walk down a set of steel mesh fire escape style stairs when I leave work daily and never go that way if I am wearing leather soled and it is raining. V treads no issue at all -

So basically there is no drawback to V treads except you dont get the nice look of leather. When its offered at the same price as leather sole there is no reason not to get it.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So basically there is no drawback to V treads except you dont get the nice look of leather. When its offered at the same price as leather sole there is no reason not to get it.
None that I can see....profile wise it is sleek. When I have had to walk a few miles in them they were comfy and over all seemed less jarring to me..I am no lightweight either so I put a lot of downforce on my shoes :)

Scottyb06

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers Strand in walnut is available for $199.
Quote: No offense my friend, but this seems like a lot of work and you can get Strands for roughly the same price anyway provided your purchase seconds during a sale. Last summer during the Nordstrom sale they had Walnut Strands for $229 and my local AE store matched it without issue (and even sent me a pair with the v-tread sole which I prefer). If you want Strand golf shoes then go for it. But, if you're simply looking for a good sale price on Strands $199 isn't that hard to achieve...

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Strand golf shoe is on a different last(73) - not sure if Tesuquegolfer is using that as the reason fit wise. Plus the golf shoes have the poron insole ..which is nice...similar to the Independence line so for for $199 + $50 for a V tread sole is not a bad deal for a first quality shoe

UABblazer

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of the brown suede strands during the 2 for $250 sale and I have not made my way out of the house with them on yet because of the season. What is the consensus on wearing dark brown suede shoes in warmer months? Am I being too compliant to the "rules" or should I just wear them? The thought of waiting 5 or 6 months to wear them is killing me! That Dainite is calling my name! Thanks guys.

Spiker

Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers Strand in walnut is available for $199.
Quote:
Wow. Strand for 200 that is a steal!

What is the difference warrenty wise between regular AE and one made for BB? Like re-sole service etc. So basically the BB on has Combination sole and combination heel? Overall nicer shoes?

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I recently picked up a pair of the brown suede strands during the 2 for $250 sale and I have not made my way out of the house with them on yet because of the season. What is the consensus on wearing dark brown suede shoes in warmer months? Am I being too compliant to the "rules" or should I just wear them? The thought of waiting 5 or 6 months to wear them is killing me! That Dainite is calling my name! Thanks guys.

just wear them mate-if you can rock them, then don't worry too much about the rules.

I got the same shoes as well and they have not been worn yet, but spring seems to be a good time for them as well.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

The brown suede Strands are perfectly fine for the warmer months in my opinion. I have a couple pairs of suede shoes in a similar color that I will have in my spring/summer rotation.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some new MTO's in:

More pics here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/675#post_7073020

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Cedar shoe trees are 66% off today at JAB using promo code SAVE66. Comes out to $8.50.

To sweeten the deal even more, there's free shipping on any order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads