1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

2. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:I would try a 10EEE. Maybe a 10EE if they have that. I go from a 11.5D Strand to 12D Dalton and the dalton may have a bit more width compared to the strand, but also going up a 1/2 size in length will gain some width as well, a tiny bit. I never figured a Patriot out so can't help much there for comparison.

3. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Does anyone know what the AE version of the Ralph Lauren Singleton loafer is?

4. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

I just received my replacement ShoeBank order and they look great. The replacement shoes are oxblood Carlyle and bourbon Bleecker St. They both look and fit amazing. Also I believe the Bleeckers are 1st: they are unmarked on sole, came with shoe bags, had student contest flyer/sticker in box and no defects.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

The rules are you post pictures. :slayer:

6. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

I'm debating some suede summer loafers between Cavanaugh and Patriot. What I have is:

Dalton
    Westchester
    Promontory Point
    Mora 2.0

All fit great in 9D; I'm a pretty true 9D in just about everything. I'm leaning towards the Patriot.

Anybody have any fit advice on these lasts?

7. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

At work, but tonight I'll post some pics.

1 person likes this.
  8. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I have the same size in both, but the LB is slightly roomier width wise, but length they are the same.

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Anyone?

10. garland

garland Senior member

Go for it! Get a good adhesive, and I doubt you would have any issues. I mean how hard can it be? lol. I imagine you could find some sort of tutorial or guide online too. Or post in the shoe care thread, one of those guys should be able to give you some good advice on the matter.

11. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Anybody have any real-world experience comparing the 511 and 234 lasts? I've got the 511 with my Long Branch 12D. I'm usually right smack between a 11.5D and 12D. Went on the higher end of the spectrum to fit it with boot socks (which works out well).

But, now I'm looking at snagging a pair of Darmstadts. If that one is the same width as the 511, I'll probably go with an 11.5D, because I plan on wearing it with thinner socks. But, if it runs narrower, I'll probably go with a 12D.

Anybody got some knowledge to drop?

12. garland

garland Senior member

.... The Darmstadt is on the B34 last, not the 234 last. That being said, it fits very full. I wear an 11.5 to 12, and I was very comfortable in the 11 D. It is also one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever tried on.

13. donkeyhoatie

Thanks! Totally misread that B34 as a 234. My bad.

With that in mind, looks like I'm going with the 11.5D.

14. garland

garland Senior member

You'll love it! Its obviously an extremely casual shoe, but it really is hands down the most comfortable shoe I've probably ever tried on.

15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I decided last fall that I did not like the light tan color of my original Eagle Counties.

Posts here have convinced me to try to darken them somewhat - the gamble was fine, as they were disposable at that point.

I started off with an amature excess of black shoe polish. Then, cleaned them up marginally with turpentine, and used medium brown dye on the whole boot, including that white outsole.

Somehow the colors turned a bit red - especially in sunlight,
    they appear brown anywhere else. (I love the red hue!)

before:
    [​IMG]
    after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not everyone's cup of tea, but these are no longer disposable,
    they are now in my bad weather rotation. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  16. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@jzrhwinnj very cool...I think they look nice...put some HDLP on them and you will have some bad weather boots for sure!

17. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Cool stuff jzrhwinnj, I just finished a similar restoration project/experiment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put some work into an old pair of worn/scuffed/stained Eastports that have been used as true "boat shoes," and that have definitely seen better days. I tried Reno'Mat on them to get them as clean as possible, despite not being 100% sure that it was the right product for the leather, and it did seem to work pretty well:

[​IMG]

Next up was Neatsfoot oil to bring the leather back to a more uniform color throughout the shoe. I knew it would darken the leather as I had used it successfully on a vintage leather briefcase in the past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neatsfoot oil worked really well to moisturize and rejuvenate the leather. I did try some AE dark brown shoe polish but it did not penetrate the leather very well, and I ended up brushing most of it off:

[​IMG]

I proceeded with more neatsfoot oil until succeeding light coats no longer seemed to have an effect. Finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will now continue wearing them into dust.

Have a great weekend guys!

2 people like this.
  18. log283

log283 New Member

[​IMG]Got my new strandmoks in!

19. donkeyhoatie

Those look fantastic, jzrhwinnj! If I come across a pair on the Shoebank, I'd definitely consider doing something similar. That red tone is really rich.

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

:) Big difference here.... I would say without a shadow of a doubt that the 234 last is the worst fit I have ever tried on anything by AE, bar none. It is like they took the beefy toebox of the 511 and made it even larger, then took the large heel of the 97 and made it even larger, then fused everything together into one big mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.