1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jubu

jubu Senior member

I've never had any creasing on the toecaps on any of my Strands (4 pairs)...I don't know if that's a "too small" or "too big" issue....maybe others can chime in.

2. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Please report back here when you've received them. I would like to know if I am alone in my love for these socks.

I will be away for a week next week, so this thread will be a monster to catch up on, but I will!

3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

If anything, I would likely be a "too big" issue. I believe I have one pair with a crease just after the first line of brogueing, no creases elsewhere though.

4. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Do either of you bend your feet when you crouch (which would be normal)?

I have been handling our baby alot on the floor lately and noticed that this can cause some different creasing patterns.

For the anal (such as me), going down on one knee when needing to do something on the floor avoids it.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

6. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

The Rogue is very accommodating of the instep with the blucher lacing, but the Warwick is curiously not- the Warwick is tight if one has the slightest high instep. In my opinion the strap and buckle components are made too short. The Rogue fits my high arch feet beautifully, while the Warwick in the same size is tight.

7. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Dark Brown Shell Dundee... Is this spotting / pitting a cause for concern? Dont want to use pigmented creme - neutral only on the shell until I see a need for it; can anyone suggest fixes for this? The surface in this area is almost abrasive - actually "grabs" cloth that I slide over it.

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

had some of that on one of mine and used some lexol and then bick4 and back of a spoon to work it in and seemed to fix 90% of the issue...no clue on long term issue from it though

9. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

That's what I thought was well. I should add: they are comfortably snug and not too large and not too tight such that I can't wiggle my toes.

@Rubik1014
    I do avoid it when possible as I don't like to crease my shoes more than necessary. I go down to 1 knee as well. I dont' recall when I've ever squat like you're talking about(like a catcher in baseball). I can't FOB squat to avoid going on the balls of my feet though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

If that's from water, the guys in the shoe care thread simply brush it vigorously. No additives.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think that's just the nature of the shell. You may have gotten down to the bare hide.

Though I may be wrong. Paging @mdubs

12. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Catching up with this thread and the awesome shoes posted recently. I am totally enamored with the shell Townleys every time they are posted, and peppercorn78's brown shell Kenilworths are gorgeous. Great shoes, gentlemen!

Same here. I was taking a few pics one day, and wasn't paying attention - I crouched down with the majority of my weight on one foot/shoe and the resulting rolls were substantial. You can see it on the right shoe in this pic:

[​IMG]

While it doesn't really bother me since shell (obviously) naturally develops rolls due to wear, and I wear these a lot, it definitely taught me a lesson in being mindful of my attire.

Walnut Wednesday for me, back rocking the Rogue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's week is going well!

1 person likes this.
  13. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

Club Monaco.ca is having a 30% off sale again. That puts their AE shell at < $400 USD. If anyone is interested, I will proxy for 10% of the value.

Edit: It looks like the deal is available on the US site

14. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Looks like it could just be bumps of oil from bloom, if so a damp cloth, a little pressure and some generous brushing should get it under control no problem.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Club Monaco has a sale on Allen Edmonds. See screen shot

[​IMG]

16. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

If they had a Dundee in 8.5D I would have pulled the trigger at $500 CAD. Kind of debating the tan suede Leeds or the navy suede Patriot now. Better deal on first than trying to score seconds with the current exchange rate.

Tempted to order both just to see them in person, not often us Canadian can advantage from a sale like this including free shipping and returns.

17. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

BINGO! Ever wanted to verify sizing, fire away. Only D width however.

Edit: Rancourt Beefrolls 3 colours, for $199 less 20% CAD. Nothing in my size go figure. That is a no brainer!

18. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I thought I'd ask the collective experts here about my first pair of shell shoes. They fit great, except I am getting a weird roll near the arch of the right shoe. It almost looks like they cut the vamp on that side too big and stitched it down. I could be wrong though and this might just be how shell is. Thoughts?[​IMG]

19. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

This might be my fix - I have both conditioners, plus the trusty VSC.

Very true, mry8s, but there's also a contingent over there that would question even the brushing of shoes - DWIII is the man; Macarthur would be the one I defer to; Patrick BOOTH and Traversco..? Just too much going on in their posts. BTW, this is literally at UNBOXING - I did nothing but take the pic (conference table in background, I get all my deliveries at work). With that said, Peppercorn, AE may have gotten down to the bare hide, but not me... they shipped like this. Maybe these were just really dry cuts of shell, but I would think that the finishing process would've at least colored the lighter spots an even brown.

Possibly, Burzan; it is in a very specific location on both boots - at the top of the shaft, near stitching, and more on the insides than outsides. Toe, heel and vamp are without this issue... Glowing even. I will try this before Kahuna's suggested fix, given the two are a part of the process I employ on new shell.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yeah that tan suede Rancourt would have been mine had they still carried my size. Seems they have been trying to get rid of the Rancourt stuff for a while now with no restocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.