1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Someone found it online from another retailer (that marked it up with their own prices), but I don't have that link. It's in print, in the AE retail stores.

2. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Two things to consider, the style and the last, or shape. I like a more european shape to my shoes, so I picked shoes on the 333 last. My suits are slim and I think this works well together, but I think a Starnd or Park Avenue would work too. I don't think brogueing is a deal killer either, although it would go better with British European vs. Italian European. I think AE is hard to pigeonhole because they have so many styles out there. They have some shoes that would look silly with a European look, and some that would fit right in. Some shoemakers I think would decidedly fit in one camp or another, i.e. Alden vs. Carmina, but I don't think you can make generalizations about AE.

3. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

No sooner had I commenced mourning the loss of the Westchester than I have to start mourning the loss of the Juneau, which I didn't even know existed until today. It died before I got to it.

GRRR

[​IMG]

4. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Sorry, I guess I should rephrase the question: has the Strand ever gone on sale in the oxblood color or in dark brown?

5. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

It seems that AE did not even include Strand on the last couple of years' anniversary sale. Not sure about Nordstrom though. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

For dark brown, not that I can ever recall. OxBlood is new, so no for that too.

However, McAllister is usually on sale during the anniversary sale in all colors.

7. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

A couple months ago (November-ish), AE dropped the price of all Strands on the Shoebank from $299 to $249. I can't remember what the promotion was, and I'm pretty sure they dropped the price on the Park Avenues and a couple of other models, but that's when I bought my pair of Oxblood Strands. I also can't remember if they dropped the price of the firsts, though. I doubled up by adding the American Express coupon of $50 off a $200 purchase, essentially getting them for $199.

So, yeah, Strands have gone on sale. That $50 cut was a 16% discount, and I didn't want to wait around in hopes that a better sale came along.

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Still drizzly and foggy today so I chose the burgundy Lombards.
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  9. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

Same here. Waiting on my 3rd pair. The first two pairs had too much ankle bowing and the finish was not well done. On the 2nd pair, Allison said she was going to ask the production team to pay special attention but I guess that didn't work out.

3rd time's the charm, right?

10. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Received a couple of AE gift cards for my birthday last week, and I'm planning on getting a pair of Mora 2.0 this coming anniversary sale. Should I go with the same size as my shoes on the 5 last?

Thanks

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

That is probably a good place to start...My pair I sized in my 511 size...and they are a tad tight and long...actually I have to check may have gotten d width and not e....anyway if it turns out I wear them a ton this spring I will probably look to get a better fitting pair and I would do my 65 Balmoral sizing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Word of advice - try first. My 65 size didn't work, neither did length and or width changes. Shape just didn't work for me.

13. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

Ah, well this is great news. The Strand/McAllister is really interchangeable for me as I'm just looking for a brogue oxford.

When you say "anniversary sale", are you referring to the pricematching AE does in July in light of NOrdstrom's sale or do you mean the RDA event in october?

14. rostov

rostov Senior member

The anniversary sale is in April.

15. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I am in the process of making this very purchase myself, and am very comfortable with the same 8.5D I wear in everything else.

16. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

With all of the comments about sizing in this thread, I wanted to throw my two cents in...

Does anyone else here wear Tulliani socks? They have been life changing for me. They are extra thick, but extremely comfortable. I don't get hot wearing them, but they make certain shoes fit a little snug. Well all of them, it's just more noticable in some vs. others, and "better" in some vs. others.

I highly recommend the investment, but I am not responsible for any addictions.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4tk0yrxy1n_e

I will also add that a pair of tongue pads on my Franciscans makes them fit like a glove. My first variation of a slip on and I am very happy.

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

There's an AE anniversary sale in April and a Nordstrom Anniversary sale in July.

For the McAllisters I meant the former.

18. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Regarding the April Anniversary sale...a search shows me that in previous years "select" models were on sale. How likely is that to include the Carlyle? That had been my target, but I'm wondering if I need to advance my plan to buy it on 3/12 to get the free belt instead.

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Cool will grab a pair to check out...I pretty much buy socks now to fit my shoes...Long Branch, GMTO shell Bayfield and MTO Shaker Heights(I ordered a width larger) all get boot socks as they are the winter warriors. My shell Leeds, GMTO shell Townley, CXL Alden boots all get medium socks and the rest of the shoes and boots are standard weight dress socks.

My wife who once thought I was a moron is now convinced

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Haven't posted in a little bit due to my vacation in Hawaii right now. Had to escape the winter in NY, but it looks to be warming up. Went to a wedding yesterday and wore my $127 bitter patriot suede Patriots. Didn't even have a seconds stamp and I couldn't see what was wrong with them.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.