1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard Senior member

Quote:

Roycru's isn't the standard Kiowa, though. He and SkySaw have managed to get one in brown grain, I think it is. Perhaps you happened to see one as well but there don't seem to be many out there. I could be wrong but I don't think the brown grain Kiowas were ever put into regular production.

2. rostov

rostov Senior member

Yes. It's hard to capture their true color on a photograph.

Top left to bottom right... Burgundy Patriots, Duke, Banchory, Walnut Shell Dalton, Brown Grain Eagle County; Walnut Strand, Walnut Shreveport, Brogue Suede Strand, Snuff Gobi, Burgundy shell MacNeil, Ridgeway, 5th Ave.

Speaking of color... I've found the #8 MacNeils and the Ridgeway to be surprisingly similar shoes. The Cognac Dublin is effectively being a lighter burgundy and my pairs both have natural edging. Once I recraft the Ridgeway, I'd do away with the orange welt... but now having the MacNeil, I'm not sure I'll stick to natural as they're just too similar. On the other hand, I'm not seeing another color working better, so I might go with a natural welt+edging and wear them to the park and days it's too wet for the MacNeil. (which is already how I wear them)

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The MacNeils fit you ok, I assume?

4. rostov

rostov Senior member

The fit is fine, but not excellent. Better a tad roomy than too tight. I was saying to @Neo1 that while it's perfectly acceptable for the MacNeil, I would never be able to wear a Grayson in 10.5 3E.

These MacNeils are beautiful... why? Having regrets? :)

EDIT: to clarify what I was saying about the Ridgeway/MacNeil... more than I'm suddenly realizing the Ridgeway has even less room in my wardrobe now that the MacNeil mostly overlaps color-wise. The Ridgeway will probably see even less use after I get my Oxblood ECs in.... TBD

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Nah, they didn't fit me that well. Uncomfortable on the left foot due to the more aggressive taper of the 7 last. Great to look at, but I walk nearly 6 miles a day in NYC, and I can't abide a cramped toebox

The fit in the heel was good though, and the sole quite comfy.

6. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Is that because they've just become too expensive? Is there a chance we'll see something like a 2-for-$300 sale, or is that not even worth waiting for?

I'm considering a pair of wingtips, preferably longwings. The Williams is terrific, though its not available in as many colors as some of their other wingtips.

7. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Seeking either FACTS or OPINIONS... :)

I recently tried the Mora 2.0 and couldn't believe how comfortable it was on my foot. I've targed them in Burboun as my next acquisition.

I've also wanted to add an Oxblood to the mix. The only shoe I have considered for this is the Carlyle. Again, it was surprisingly comfortable when I tried it on, as it is on the same last as the Mora 2.0.

That said, I see the new Warwick is also in Oxblood. I already have the Franciscan in Chili, so the two look very similar to me on the surface.

If it were you, or if you were me...which would you choose...the Carylyls or the Warwick?

I'm targeting the 3/12 event and the April 9th sale for these next two purchases...

8. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

What are the details of the 3/12 event?

9. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Look back a few pages, I posted it last Wednesday I believe.

Buy a pair of welted shoes full price, and get a free belt up to $98. Spring event at retail locations.

10. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Carlyle and Mora, no question

11. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I like the Warwick but the Carlyle and Mora is a better combination.

12. Trader George

Trader George Senior member

Been a while since I've posted here, been a bit busy and far away from the shoe world. I hope everybody is doing well, and I'd like to say welcome to any new members that I've not met due to my hiatus.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/461376/price-drop-allen-edmonds-8-5d-sale

^That's the main reason of my post, thought I'd post here as well to see if anybody was interested. All three pairs are in EXCELLENT condition, as those who know me know that I value my shoes more than I value my life. I'd prefer to sell all three at once, and the price is definitely in favour of whoever buys, rather than of me.

If this post is considered spam/against the rules, just let me know and it will be vanished. :)

13. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

The Warwick is not a good fitting shoe, something is amiss there. Strange because the new Rogue is on the same new last (201) and the Rogue fits great.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I haven't tried on the Warwick, but I have tried the Rogue and I own the First Avenue. I like the 201 last a lot.

15. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of Weybridge seconds in and they fit fine, except they squeak a bit when I walk. I have narrowed it down to the heal area. It sounds like my heal is sliding a few mm and the friction is causing the squeak. The leather interior lining appears to be darker than my Hales. Could it be the conditioning of the Weybridge leather? Has anyone else had this problem with this particular model or other AEs? Perhaps I would better fit with a half size smaller?

I don't want to waste money having shoes sent back an forth. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

16. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

baby powder.

17. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I like the 201 last too......on the Rogue. It doesn't work with the Warwick

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Oh, I'm still around, just haven't had many reasons to post in this thread lately. As you know, shoe construction is my favorite topic, so when the questions or topics related to that are few and far between, so are my posts. I've been hanging out in the "Sole Welting" thread a good bit lately.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  19. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Great for you to drop by this thread again MWS. Maybe something that you could shed some light on, do you know more about the construction of the new comfort line that AE is about to release? I heard it's got removable insoles (correct me gents if I'm wrong here). Also I wonder what makes it lightweight? AE doesn't use steel shanks anyway and so I wonder what else they would change from the current comfort line which already uses rubber sole and foam insoles to further reduce the weight?

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Another vote on this - was wondering myself.

Granted, they are ae by AE so I guess my expectations are lowered, but could you also comment on the Concordia & Desoto? I still couldn't believe AE would make something with leather that felt so thin like that - it felt like you could tear them apart with your bare hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.