1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

I stopped going to Pheasant Lane after Burlington became more upscale. It has nothing unfortunately.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You know I was wondering the exact same thing - the only Rush Street left is the brown chromexcel which begs the question as to whether or not they plan to discontinue it. The Strandmok sucks **** - it makes no sense in my mind - it's the Neumok, but with awful, understated and underwhelming colors but with a Danite sole. They describe it like it's an all weather shoe because of the sole but, don't know who's worn their Neumok in the winter, but I wouldn't wear an unlined shoe like that. Rush Street is far superior.

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Completely agree that the Pheasant Lane is way inferior to Burlington, but for the stores that are in both, the Pheasant Lane always seems to be fully stocked in whatever I want, Burlington is always slim-pickings. Different audience I guess.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Wow are you guys brutal [​IMG]

No love for the Kiowa? I thought the look of the Black Hills was really good, but the Kiowa just pushed it over the top - the distressed/rugged look combined with the perfs & captoe made it one of the best looking, at least to me.

5. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

It seems to me that the smart thing to do would be to say that the Rush Street is now part of that line. I bet they don't do that.

6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I would wear a pair of these.

7. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

[​IMG]

Yes Yes Yes

8. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

I have a Katmai boot but have not been able to wear it due to the firm sole...needs something softer. Thought you may be interested in the resole I did

Before

[​IMG]

Resoled with the vibram gumlite

[​IMG]

Not as good looking as the original, but has a chunky look and is comfortable. Glad to get some use out of these again as I really like the roughout leather.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

1 person likes this.
  9. themurph

themurph Member

I would like to keep the walnut color the best I can would you recommend using a neutral wax after the polish. I like a nice even coat of wax on my shoes to prevent damage to the leather.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

i think a textured/grain leather can work with a quarter brogue but together with the commando sole and split reverse welt are too much IMHO to go with bals. If the kyowas were designed to be an all weather strand, grain leather (chili, brown or walnut even) + strand + flat welt would have been a good balance.

I have the Elgins and while they look great it doesn't make my regular rotation at all. Being a casual balmoral, there always seem to be something better for me to wear.

11. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Meanwhile, I am anxiously awaiting arrival of a pair of olive Rush Streets that a wonderful SA tracked down for me.

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Yeah that would work well

13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I got a pair of these when they were on clearance. As with the response in this thread, most people on SF didn't like them. I still think they are cool, though. I only wear them with jeans, mind you.

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

There is a Kiowa in brown grain, which I like. It would make the perfect rain shoe IMO. Waiting for them to be part of a sale and I'll pounce.

15. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I think those look pretty good for a casual shoe to dress down with jeans...i'd wear them.

16. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

When I got my Brown Grain Kiowas on sale, for some reason they weren't shown on either the main AE website or the Shoebank website, but when I called the Shoebank, they had Brown Grain Kiowas. Maybe you should try calling and see if they have any Brown Grain Kiowas on sale.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

A month or two ago I started applying navy cream polish and black wax polish to a pair of walnut MacGregors. Here's how they look now compared to another walnut MacGregor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like how they turned out. If I come across a walnut PTB or cap toe I'll probably use the same treatment.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Which polishes did you use? Those look great!

19. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Very cool, @watchidiot! One question - Can those ever be returned to the original color if you to revert back? I know Saphir Reno'Mat can supposedly strip dark polishes, but I wonder how effective it is once multiple layers of polish have been allowed to set.

I had to come back and find this post as it prompted me to source a pair of my own. I love this shoe's oversized perforations and I'm psyched to finally have some walnut calf in the closet. I was also in need of more bluchers to wear with casual outfits where a balmoral would feel out of place, so the big-brogue Rogue fills a real gap in my options.

I wasn't able to find too many photos of the Rogue out there, so I'll share everything I took for the record of this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's Sunday is going well.

2 people like this.
  20. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks! I used navy cream polish from Saphir and kiwi black polish (the one from the tin can) to give it a good shine.

Thanks! Not sure of it an ever be returned to normal. That said when I was applying the navy polish and it went to parts I didn't want to darken, I simply applied brown cream polish and it stripped away the navy polish.

Your rogues look great. May I ask what size you take on these? From the side you appear to have a high instep but you lace gap is pretty much closed. These fit you like Mdubs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.