1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yeah, I've seen that description on the AE site, and I completely disagree with it. I have the Clifton, which is also on the 108 last, and I have tried 222 last shoes. There is no comparison - the Cliftons have plenty of room, particularly in the ball and toe areas, while the 222 shoes squeeze my feet like a vice. The 222 is appreciably narrower; I don't know why AE equates these two on their website.

So in short, I think you will be fine with the Hinsdales.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

I can never seem to pull the trigger on seconds. But I also recommend SF member allaboutshoes, first quality shoes at discount.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very nice addition and good start to your collection. It's good to see Brooks Brothers sourcing some of their shoes from AE - rather than mostly English makers. (not that I have anything against England, I am just pro USA). Those BB Strands look like they will be very comfortable and long-lasting.

I really like the look of the 5th Streets, I just couldn't get the right fit. I'm glad you found them comfortable. I don't think I'd bother with the pull tabs - I'd just plan to grip the back or sides of the boot, and use a shoe tree if necessary. Nice socks!

Very cool. I like the Macneil with "regular" welt. Is that walnut calfskin (smooth rather than pebbled)? Enjoy!

There is usually a First Quality sale around Memorial Day / Fathers Day and again around July 4.

Today's shoes: Brown shell cordovan Strands. Client meetings all day, so I decided on conservative socks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks, I have been more than pleased with all of my shell from AE. You know there just seems something inherently wrong with having to apologize for brushing shell to the point where the sun glares off it.... [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with your pictures to me, because of them I purchased the shell Bradley which I was sitting on the fence about for more than 2 years. And just had to order the shell Cambridge thanks to the pictures by you and dsmivtr. If I'm looking at a shoe or boot and considering it for purchase I now come here and search this thread first.

5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Was just browsing Amazon and saw this:

Not sure which shoes are included.

6. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

I actually prefer the look of the MacNeil over the Player. The MacNeil seems to have a lower, wider and sleeker shape if that makes any sense? In my opinion, the body of the Player seems more elongated and rounded and might be more suited for a more formal setting (with a suit or something like that). I'm going to be wearing these pretty casually and think they'll go very well with my RRL slim fits :)

Yes walnut calf. I love the look of the MacNeil but really couldn't jive with the pebble grain for some reason. I think I might have to get these in a dark brown cordovan at some point...

Thanks!

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Completely agree. Well done. Dark brown cordovan would be awesome. Maybe chili or something similar, too.

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Mmmm... chili... :drool:

9. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Brand new AE Players (posted a pic a few pages back, had to return those for size change, these have only been worn around the house). Referencing the pic below, should these be returned or will these types of blemishes go away with some product to them? First pair of Players looked perfect so these concern me, not sure if overreacting or not.

[​IMG]

10. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Looks like normal burnishing to me. My first quality strands have the same thing. I think the tone will even out as you go through a few polishings. I just went through a Reno Mat/ Saphir Renovateur/ AE Walnut Polish regimen with my walnut strands and they look better than new with beautiful "character".

11. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

u r overreacting:)
    they look fine

12. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I have walnut Strands, which when brand new had a similar look. This went away after a few polishings with the AE conditioner/cleaner and premium shoe polish.

13. Harrydog

Harrydog Senior member

If you do so, have the pull loop made flush to the back (as on the G&G Canterbury) rather that sticking up (as on the EG Shannon). That way your trousers won't get hung up on the loop everytime you standup.

14. BFBFB

BFBFB Well-Known Member

No issue --- the give the shoe character,,,Love those..

15. Ag229487

Ag229487 Senior member

Just a sizing Question - I am looking at the AE Parkland. If I wear a UK 8.5 in the C&J Sydney and Hallam, should I do US 9.5 or 10 in the Parkland? Thanks for any insight-

16. scrolls

scrolls Senior member

Been looking at the Positanos on the AE site where they are currently priced down from $325 to $199. Any idea if this is a temporary sale price or a permanent mark down? If it's a sale (I don't see anywhere on the site that says sale but idk), anyone know when the price will go back up? Thanks.

17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I suspect they are either on sale or "permanently" marked down because they are a closeout item.

18. halgrind

halgrind Member

Generally the discounted shoes on their website are recently discontinued models that they want to get rid of.

19. zchen

zchen Senior member

I got the Leeds in black calf today, I find them much better looking in person than the website photos. Any other models you guys feel are the same way where the shoes are better looking in person?

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Basically all of them. For whatever reason, they don't take good pictures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.