1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Yeah...I know but I like these better

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I find the independence lining actually makes the shoes fit bigger and easier to close the lacing gap. Maybe it's just me.

3. the1gofer

the1gofer Member

Forgive me if this is the wrong place. I just got these allen edmonds in the mail (ordered online), and I think I may need to send them back. I wanted to get some advice first. they are 10 d. It's my first pair of high end shoes, so I want to make sure I do it right. When I lace them up this is how they look. I'm thinking they may need to be a bit wider. Also I when I stand my toes come to about an inch from the tip. I don't think they should go all the way to the end, but I wasn't sure how much space is too much space.

[​IMG]

4. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I think my Jeffersons fit wider and close more than my other 5 last shoes.

Amazing shoes. They look great! I wish they still had truffle or mocha.

I guess the independence lining fits people differently, some making the shoe wider ands some tighter.

5. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Those are definitely too tight. You need to go up a width or more. Best bet would be to try on a bunch of sizes at a store.

6. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

I wish my local Macy's carried AE, so I could get the amazing deals you all are getting.

7. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I was looking at another pair of AE's but they have the dianite soles. Any comments on those? They don't look so durable or comfy.

What about the cronmoks / neumoks also? The leather is so soft but are they worth the money?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

For what it's worth, I just received a pair of blue neumok seconds today and they are freaking gorgeous. Pics tomorrow of their first wear.

9. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

why do you think they don't look durable? Danite is incredibly durable. More than any other AE sole

10. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I would suggest going down a length and up a width. 9.5 E might be better for you.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  11. bmoredrew

bmoredrew New Member

Yeah I managed to grab a pair on shoebank for $97! Thanks for the heads up. Totally forgot to check there.

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Colors are great here, but the photos unfortunately reaffirm in my mind how terribly shaped AE shoes on the 5 last truly are. I love the brand to death, but refuse to own some of the more popular models (Strand, PA/FA, etc) because of how funny looking the 5 last is.

13. Skatenc123

Skatenc123 Senior member

I think your best bet is going to an AE store or somewhere that stocks them and try different length and width until it feels good.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Are they comfortable also?

15. TrojanX4

TrojanX4 Member

I bought a pair of walnut Flatiron's for myself last night at Macy's. Super comfortable shoe and much nicer looking in person too. Finding a first quality AE shoe for $149 less than the cost of a second quality shoe from shoebank.com is a great thing.

I also took advantage of the 25% off on a pair of black Rogues. Man...that is one super comfortable shoe and I'm looking forward to more styles on the new 201 last. I have a tweener foot and my AE shoe size varies between 9D and 9E depending on the shoe style. For me a 9E is comfortable in the 5 last, but just a tad too big for a perfect fit. The 8 last and the 333 last fits me best a 9D but just a tad snug. The 201 last fits perfect on my foot, its like choosing a size right between a 9D and 9E.

16. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I agree with you except in this photo I think the Strands look great if you're looking for an American shoe. I wish AE would just start making sleeker shoes with less bulbous toe-boxes because there aren't many accessible offerings in this price range.

17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Here's a comparison shot to normal chili.
    [​IMG]

18. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:This is very true, and why it seems to be trickiest AE last. My first was a 12D, normal size. And its wearable, a touch long and a touch wide in the heel. Then tried on some at an AE store. Originally thought 11.5E was the right way to go. But it was also wide in the heel. 11.5D seems to be just right. Initially I was concerned with the Jeffs and the wide lace gap, but everything else fit great and was snug, not tight. Ended up selling as the the balmoral doesn't get used a lot in my wardrobe just yet and was looking to get something else. The Strand popped up and it was buy now ask questions later thing. Turns out they fit perfect with the standard leather insole. It all depends on the foot obviously but the smallest of details has an affect on my 5 last fitting. The McAllisters I picked up were 12Ds. Again an impulse buy but you can't find them hardly. They fit the same as my 12D PAs, slightly wide at the heel. Not sure how I feel about it just yet. The PAs don't get worn hardly anyways so its not a big deal. Plus I might replace them when the opportunity comes along.

1 person likes this.
  19. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:The Jefferson does look a bit odd in this pic I'll admit. It was just to show the lacing gap for the most part. Other angles it looked great. What is the most attractive last for you? I agree its a shame all the popular models are on the 5 last.

20. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:The 5 last is one of the trickiest to fit. Most go down a 1/2 size and up a width. Which would help in this case and they are definitely to narrow. You want the widest part of your forefoot to be in the widest part of the shoe. You can feel along the outside as your standing up and with weight on it to give you an idea. A general rule of thumb is to have no more than 1/4-3/8" gap at the top of the laces. Trying on a few sizes at a retail store is the best bet if at all possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.