1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Quote:Thank you, I appreciate the info!

2. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Some individuals feel that shell shoes will be ever so slightly looser than the same shoe made in calf. The general consensus being that shell is thicker, less malleable than calf, and can not be pulled as tightly during the lasting process. We are talking about an extremely small difference here. Most will take the same size, in the same shoe, shell vs calf. One thing to consider is shell will not stretch. The sole will break in, the corkbed will settle, but the leather itself will not stretch much, if at all. On the other hand, calf will stretch, and suede will definitely stretch. Not sure if you are concerned with shoes being too tight or too small. Some others can definitely shed light on their own experiences.

3. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks! These appear to be lighter than my own Bn chili grain. Must be the lighting.

4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Holy smokes Mike! Those are amazing!

5. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Navy EC today
    [​IMG]
    ...working on my mirror shine

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  6. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Does anyone know if the bleecker street chili listed on the shoe bank site = "Bob's chili"?

7. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Anyone think these Hale seconds should be returned? Visible striping on right shoe, not bad but visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yep.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

If that's the only issue you found, I'd say you've got some real winners. That will look like character over time, and will probably even out some with polishing.

1 person likes this.
  10. TrojanX4

TrojanX4 Member

I recently returned a similar pair of Walnut Clifton's recently that had striping only on one shoe. I'm waiting to see if I get a better replacement. The striping on your pair is definitely more muted than mine was, so if it were me, I'd be more inclined to keep the pair you have. They still look really nice to me.

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Thanks guys! :)

12. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Before I even saw the striping, I was planning on darkening up a pair of walnuts to a light brown. Not sure that's wise with this pair as it may make the striping even more prominent? Or could it actually help?

13. delmar

delmar Senior member

That wouldn't bother me if I had paid first quality price.

3 people like this.
  14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Those don't look bad to me. I picked up a pair when my size was on clearance, and I like them a lot.

15. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I have mentioned the same issue elsewhere in the forum....I'm a pretty consistent 11.5 D in 5 and 108 last styles, but have to size up to 12D in the Long Branch and Daltons. I even have a 12E in a Dalton shell. The 511 is a short narrow last IMO.

16. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

17. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

Look... If it's bothering you enough that you came on here to ask about it, return them. It's going to bother you till you no longer own the shoes, unless you are the kind of guy that is greatly influenced by public opinion... Then I guess you might feel better listening to these guys than trusting your gut.

18. chrisleduc1

chrisleduc1 Active Member

I hate to do it, but let me add another question regarding seconds.

So I just received a pair of first and a pair of seconds in the Bleeker brown.

The firsts look great. The seconds look very good. There is one spot of the back of one that I could live with. My issues however is with the heels. They are really off on the seconds. I am not sure how this would affect things. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic? Also as can be seen, there is a good bit of difference in the color, which is OK for me too. But the firsts, which are darker, are much better looking in terms of color in my opinion. I have put a first up next to a second in a few pics of the heels to show the contrast.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. chrisleduc1

chrisleduc1 Active Member

Unfortunately I dont have a regular walnut to compare. From what I see behind the computer screen, the cloud is a bit lighter. I can post more pics if you want.

20. BoxSRS60

BoxSRS60 Well-Known Member

I don't have any direct experience with anything like that, and I'm not sure I'd even have noticed. When you put them on and stand in them does it feel weird or uncomfortable? I suspect that after wearing them a few times, the leather will flex and they'll sit flat, or, at least, as flat as any other shoe.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.