1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Somebody will have fun helping me: Please recommend a 5 AE shoe wardrobe! Business casual (with occasional suit). I live in NYC

Already have

Black Fifth Ave- Will only wear for formal occasions when they are required (not a huge fan)
    Brown Strand-Love these

My thoughts:
    Warwick
    Dalton (Should I get a boot even if I can't wear in the summer?)
    McGregor
    Cavanaugh
    Carlyle

My favorite color is Oxblood, but also want one walnut. What colors/shoes would you guys pick?

Thanks!

3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Compared to the McCallister style, I haven't been a big fan of any long wing. Until I start seeing photos like this. They are growing on me!

4. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

So 3 more:
    - Bourbon/Oxblood Dalton
    - Bourbon/Chili McGregor (or burgundy shell MacNeil)
    - Walnut Warwick (or Franciscan)

5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I initially didn't like longwings either. I purchased McAllisters in several different colors over the past few years, but then saw the McGregor when it was introduced and loved it. I now appreciate longwings quite a bit, too. I like the chunky-sole look of the MacNeil, but also like the sleeker longwing approach taken by the McGregor.

6. rostov

rostov Senior member

The problem with NYC, similar to Philadelphia, is that the summer and winter both go to extremes.

Assuming these must include your existing shoes...

1. Dalton / Long Branch for NYC winters with a mini-lug tap sole. Navy CXL, ideally.
    2. Kenwood in golden CXL and a rubber sole for summer relaxation. Patriots, maybe, if you'll wear to work.
    3. Grayson in snuff, chocolate, or brogue suede with contrast tassels, to taste. Dainite sole and year-round wear...
    4. Burgundy Shell Leeds... or in calf, or a Warwick / Mora 2.0 in Oxblood
    5. Black PA or 5th Ave. I don't like it either, but sometimes you just need a black cap toe.
    6.... oh, what to do with that brown Strand? ;-) Not bad, but I wouldn't put it in a 5-shoe-only rotation. Really, though, 5 shoes just isn't enough in our climate!

This gives you one winter boot, one summer shoe, one formal, and two all-around-all-season shoes. Is it a problem that three of the above would be MTOs? [​IMG]

7. tb43

tb43 Senior member

Thank you, definitely well thought out!

8. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

9. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Ok, given the two you already have are both dark oxfords, you have the "occasional suit" covered. Given your stated preference for oxblood/burgundy, etc., I'd suggest:

3. Shell MacNeil - burgundy, or
    3A. Dalton in Merlot calf or burg shell

4. Burg she'll loafer

5. Walnut Carlisle or PTB

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Ha! I work in an environment where I set the standard, so I can get away with more. But yes, I believe the Penny's do not go with suits, but full straps and tassels can. :)

These are great, but rarely seen here.

12. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

Just received my oxblood Carlyle, however they have some tiger striping on the shoe pictured above. I used 3 coats of Saphir Renovateur to even out the stripes, but it hardly changed them. Do you think using some AE cream will even the color out?

Side note, I also received my bourbon Bleecker St. 11D, the left was an 11d and the right 10d, both labeled 11D, AE fail :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I'm guessing/hoping these are seconds. If they're firsts, then they should definitely be exchanged. If they're seconds, you could always try your luck with another pair. Sorry to see that striping, but it's always a risk with the heavily burnished colors, especially Bourbon. First I've seen of it on Oxblood. Haven't seen it much on Dark Chili, either.

14. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

These are great, but rarely seen here.
    Not a huge fan of the split toe... probably because its all my father in law wears. I like the look of those though @peppercorn78 !

15. jch7149

jch7149 Active Member

Shell Grayson

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Very nice. Love that combo.

17. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Maiden voyage of the Navy shell Dundees today. Wore them for a while, then got home and hit them with some Bick 4 (a few dry spots from when they arrived), brushed them, and buffed them. No polish/VSC yet.

First picture is when I was out with them, last three are after cleaning them up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

Another "should I keep these?" post.

Some Duggan Plazas from the recent sale that show a bit of tiger striping:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

I really appreciated all of the help I received in a previous post like this (about a year ago - I got some good advice and kept some shoes that went on to be some of my favorites).

Also, to keep the appreciation going - the outlets have been great in this sale and the quality overall has been high - picked up some great Bob's Chili McGregors, brown McClains, and even a pair of discounted Elgin firsts.

19. garland

garland Senior member

These look so good! I've been meaning to pick up some bick 4 for a while to use on my shells. Probably time to pull the trigger.

Kyle

20. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The Shoebank has a 9D walnut "Leeds 2.0". I wonder what changes to the Leeds are in store...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.