1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

More pictures in the MTO thread but my Eagle County MTO arrived...SO SO Happy! Bourbon/grain black

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. Denton

Denton Senior member

I bought them in 10 E for that price. First Indy shoe, impressed with the detailing.

3. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Wow! The mto program serves up some incredible builds. Love the mix here, bourbon made a great base.

4. Denton

Denton Senior member

While I'm hardly "trad", my style is nothing like what you describe. I'll wear with dark Levi's and a button-up sport shirt I suppose...

5. Denton

Denton Senior member

Seriously, I feel like a such a loser for owning 20 AEs and no MTOs...next pair, next pair.

6. polishrifle

polishrifle Well-Known Member

I've been looking to add a pair of burgundy wingtips to the arsenal, so I took advantage of the recent AE seconds sale and picked up these shell MacNeils. I really want to love these shoes as the 97 last fits my wide foot (13EEE) exceptionally well. Nonetheless, the wrinkle on the left shoe has me considering returning the shoes in favor of some other styles that I've been eyeing as of late.

This is my third pair of seconds, so I understand the need to temper expectations to some degree. As it is, I think I could live with the wrinkle, however I am concerned that it may worsen over time. In others experience, is this[​IMG] defect significant enough to justify returning?

7. Denton

Denton Senior member

I'm hardly the go-to guy on shell but I'd keep them, especially considering the deal you got for an odd size.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

To be honest, it's the pictures I see online and it[s not from the AE site. The color just doesn't look attractive to me

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

It's ok [​IMG]. I think I posted my response at the exact same time as you because I didn't see yours. No need to get your green Rush Streets in a bunch - it's all good. Not sure about the comment about getting all lasts to fit perfectly - generally you wear the same size in all lasts but it is best to visit a master fitter. Sorry, that line is so stupid it never gets old.

10. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

So I have seen this thing in person - it's not that it isn't attractive, it will just have limited use. I sort of saw it like this - it reminded me of someone wearing dark denim jeans with python skin boots - the boots would jump right out at you since they really don't blend in with anything else. If you like that kind of look, by all means pick them up - the McTavish are great shoes.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

+1 to this

12. delmar

delmar Senior member

If that little wrinkle is all that is wrong with them, I'd keep and cherish them. The flaw that bugs me is when the shoes lace up lopsided because of crooked eyestays or the crooked wingtips. Wrinkles and color differences between the shoes or the stripe effect never seem to bother me. I gave a lopsided pair of shell MacNeils to Goodwill because I couldn't stand looking at them anymore and my conscience wouldn't let me put them on ebay.

13. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

This might be the best looking pair of shoes I've ever seen.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Of course everything has it's appropriate context, and I would never wear these to an office. But they look great when I just want to throw something crunchy together and go to the 55 bar or smalls jazz club or some other divey joint in the village, and not give two F's if they get a little roughed up.

Here's a pic of my pair. Much less "yellowish" IRL, as my light fixture is tinted.

[​IMG]

15. radipublications

radipublications Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got My Weybridge in today First time buying seconds. The right shoe has a spot. Not sure what that is. I think their keepers though.

A little more orangy than I expected too.

16. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Great pick up. I ordered a pair of black Harrisonz the other day from jeffersonville. I'm hoping they don't have any major issues.

Edit: I just got the shipping notification. With the following note.

Thank you for shopping Allen Edmonds.

The following item(s) were shipped to you on 02-18-2015:

Qty Item Description
    1 7613S 085 D - HARRISON - BLACK Harrison
    - PLEASE SEND A NICE ONE..
    - THANKS

1 person likes this.
  17. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Damn - whenever I see these things again it makes me wish I had pulled the trigger. If they pop up in my size on shoebank I probably won't be able to resist this time :) I remember the last time rationalizing that they would be casual wear, and my McTavish would never be my go-to for casual wear. That was before I started wearing my black McTavish all the time, during the week and during the weekends.

18. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Those look nice. May have been the ones I was eyeing, because a few days ago they disappeared! I couldn't pull the trigger because I couldn't find any real life pics. At least I have the pics!

19. polishrifle

polishrifle Well-Known Member

Appreciate your input and I am inclined to keep them so long as the defect isn't likely to worsen over time. Plus the wrinkle is on the inside half of the shoe so it shouldn't be too obvious to others (and myself) when wearing.

20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@peppercorn78

That pic looks completely from the pics I seen on google. The ones on google that link back to SF show them as much more brighter and they have a sheen to them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.