1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

2 for 250 is likely never to return.

2 for 300 was for closeouts only and in most cases not too hot of a deal, as many are priced below 150 during sales anyway.

If you really need it, nows a good time. Otherwise, you can always just wait and take your chances.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

What size (appx.) are you and what are you looking for? I'm assuming at least one pretty formal pair, what about the other? If you want one of the "staple" styles, I would say the BB for AE sales they have going on right now are ok, most of the other sales are just meh. Some of the closeouts dropped to coincide with the retail store's holiday sale so those are also good. It will probably be a one-time wear, but for a wedding the Mayfair is pretty cheap.

3. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

For fans of group shots of AE shoes:

[​IMG]

Top to bottom left to right, Ritz, MTO Rutledge, Strand, Broadstreet (8 1/2 EEE, probably going to eBay in the future), Kiowa, Ridgeway, Strand, Park Ave, Strand, Lombard, MTO McGillicuddy, Corporate Casual, McTavish, Strandmok, Voyager, Flagstaff, and Desert Mountain.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I have been of the opinion that oxblood was very specialized, and for a select few that felt like they had a place for it.

Now you are making me re-think this.

How do you wear/see others wearing oxblood? Pretty universally? I have been thinking it would only work with a navy suit.

5. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Doing some cleaning I took a quick family photo:

[​IMG]

6. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I stopped by the Jeffersonville outlet, looking for a 13B. My choices were pretty limited, but I wanted to try on a few pairs for fitting so that I could place an order for a pair in chili. I tried a couple 13Bs on the 2 last, and my toes were just too crunched. I happened to see a box of the walnut BB Fifth Avenues in a 12D. There were no 13s, so I thought I'd give the 12s a try.
    They fit better than the other shoes I tried on -- just slightly snug on the left toes.
    They looked great, so I grabbed them.

1 person likes this.
  7. garland

garland Senior member

You could pretty much grab pants and a shirt blind and the Oxblood will work well with it. It's going to wear much like a traditional burgundy/merlot, with just a little more character. Obviously works really well with navy, its a cool alternative to a black shoe when worn with black, looks awesome with any shade of grey, etc.

8. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

But will it look awesome with fifty shades of grey? Har Har har

1 person likes this.
  9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Does anyone make a chili shoe cream?
    I don't see that option with AE or Meltonian.
    Is there a close match?

10. nuaccount

nuaccount New Member

Id prefer not to get the BB versions. I'm not really familiar with the differences, but I'd just assume they are cheaper for a reason (quality) although I could be wrong. I have been looking to get a pair of Park Aves and Strands for years now, but haven't had the cash. Whatever shoe I wear to the wedding, I will also wear to work. This has been something I've been saving for and I figured getting a new pair of shoes for a wedding is a good excuse.

I still can't convince myself to spend $380 on a new pair of shoes. $250 is obviously a better bargain but I'd feel much better about paying sub 200...maybe even $200. I tried on a few pairs from Nordstrom and I fit into an 11E. The 11D were just too tight.

I'm just hoping to find a better deal before the wedding, but would be kicking myself if I didn't. Any more advice?

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

There is no difference in quality between the standard AE shoes and BB versions. They get cheap during sales, but standard seconds pricing is close to the main line.

12. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

There's no quality difference between AE and their BB version. I actually prefer the BB version, as they come with rubber soles, which you have to pay $40 extra for the AE version.

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I was going to say the same thing about preferring the sole on the Brooks Brothers version.

14. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Any Portland owners have some in the wild shots? I am curious how dressed up this boot can be. I wear mostly slacks/sportcoat combos. I wonder if the boot will work with the occasional suit, if the mood strikes me.

I am trying to add a boot to the repertoire, never worn one before.

And a shot of the Westchesters today for the sake of contributing to the thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  15. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    My AE Shell Collection
    Back Row: Brown Patriots, Brown Jeffersons, GMTO Brown Bayfields, MTO Black Daltons & Burgundy Daltons
    Middle Row: MTO Walnut Macneils, MTO Walnut Macneils, Burgundy Macneils & Black Macneils
    Front Row: MTO Natural Strands, Brown Strands, MTO Burgundy Franciscans & Black Park Avenues

2 people like this.
  16. jubu

jubu Senior member

@Zzen Here you go...Portland boot in the wild:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Those are 511 last. From my research anyways.

18. nuaccount

nuaccount New Member

Oh great! Thanks, I wasn't aware. Is there any difference in sizing?

19. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Wow, those are three very nice looking collections! Somehow I missed the family photo event was going on today...

-Mike

20. LordRasta

LordRasta Well-Known Member

Natural Shell Strand......drool

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.