1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

No offense taken, that's all ego. I do yoga to keep mine in check :)

Still curious if any of you shell aficionados have seen a shell offering from AE without the JR sole. I don't see why someone would MTO the other sole since it would not make it cheaper as I understand the program.

Maybe I will take it by my AE store and see if they can make sense of the makeup.

2. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Was that in-store? I checked AllenEdmonds.com and they have them listed at $197 for firsts. With 20% off, they're knocked down to around $157. How'd you get them at the $125 price point for firsts?

3. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Received a pair of Hale seconds. One of the main reasons these caught my eye was the elongated cap, relative to other AE caps. However, on the pair I recieved the cap seems short, closer to the PA/FA. Beyond the expected variability from pair to pair, could this be a defect on my seconds pair?

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I debated on the Kenilworth a while but decided against it. Maybe sometime I'll pick that up. I can't remember now but I think it was you who said you could pretty much get away with wearing whatever you wanted (?) I work in a super conservative environment so all that talk about the walnut strand made me a little envious - wayyy to showy for me, although really nice looking.

Anyway, I wanted to note that I own the neumok in red - the pictures are NOT at all representative, the color is much duller / more burnished than it looks on the shoebank page. I tried all four - I would actually consider the brown to be the most flashy, more so than either the blue or green. I don't like my shoes to be the centerpiece of what I'm wearing - with a casual outfit I find that the red neumok works. The brown one, no way. With the current prices I would pull the trigger on the red or green if you don't have it already.

5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Did they start doing dust bags for seconds? Must be a new thing. Never did dust bags for seconds or DR (anything) that I knew of.

6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I could comment on this but there are other forum members that could probably make better jokes than me.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I have been sent the regular cordovan black bags with one pair of cordovan seconds (though it was a display pair so not technically a seconds). I also got sent some lower quality grey shoe bags I had never seen before with my cordovan Strands and McAllisters. I think my SA was nice enough to throw in the grey ones when I got them.

The Clark Streets I got the other day did not come with bags though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I think if you hit the Neumoks with some conditioner that should bring out a more flashy color in them. I think someone posted pics of a Cronmok before and after in here showing that the leather was very dull and boring before conditioning.

I have also been considering the olive Neumoks in my size but I think I will have to pass, would have loved them in snuff though.

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

@ZzenI think they look pretty good. I'd feel like getting a regular sole is a bit of a downer since part of the value for shell is the JR sole. What size are they?:)

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Decision made. Finally actually put them on. Fit great. Keepers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. J1994

J1994 Well-Known Member

After seeing many comments regarding the SB, I decided to take a look. Found some PA's in my size for $249, thoughts on the price - is this a decent deal? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

12. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

If you don't have any oxblood yet, you owe it to yourself to get some. Dazzling color. And, the Dalton looks great in it.

13. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

That looks like the new sole design - brand new, in fact. I'm sure it was a mistake to put it on these cordovan shoes, but at least you know they're a recent build. Who knows why that happened.
    Congrats and enjoy. They look great.

14. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the knowledge sir.

10.5D. JR sole would definitely be better, but overall a pretty strong pair of seconds.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

That was me. I work in IT and our dress code is "business casual". I can get away with wearing chinos if I wanted, but I like I to dress up a little more. The kenilworth interestingly enough I had to size down .5 from my normal size in the 5 last.

I've seen the neumok brown in person and I like how it looks. I don't think it's flashy at all but as someone said once you polish it, it will become darker.

All my shoes are in brown tones with the exception of my Lasalle in chili which is a FANTASTIC color. I'm going to google the red neumok's to see how they look thanks.

I like to have all different tones of brown and different colors such as chili and oxblood. More versatile this way

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

[​IMG]
    Just showed up. I suppose I'll have to break them in tonight onstage in a tuxedo. :slayer:

4 people like this.
  17. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Also seems to be the new darker burgundy finish that AE has started doing that we saw with the GMTO Burgundy Strands. I really like it and hope anything I order in burgundy in the future is dark like that pair. Hopefully a pair of Dundees next up for me.

18. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

Gave the shoebank a try today for the first time, went with some Kenilworth and macneil seconds, both in dark burnished brown. Sick of paying retail.

19. jubu

jubu Senior member

Finally received my Bourbon Strands in the mail yesterday--the burnished finish is really nice, especially for the Strand. I think it suits the design very well:

[​IMG]

However, my excitement was short lived when I got to the left shoe and noticed the following imperfections: (a) a cut on the broguing by the vamp on the left shoe, as well as some holes which were not cleanly punched through; and (b) wrinkling on the outer left shoe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's going back, unless they give me a killer deal to keep them. Oh well, at least it gave me an excuse to dust off the 5D2 and 35L for some pics. :)

20. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

You may be right, although I think this comes down to a question of personal style. Looking at the websites for companies like J. Crew, heck even Brooks Bros, I see lots of suits with bulky double-soled shoes. In the end, as a compromise shoe to go with suits, sc, and chinos, I think a suit with with a chunky double-soled shoe is a much more successful compromise than a sleeker more formal shoe with chinos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.