1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Not to mention the split-reverse welt. Personally, I would not use "dressy" and "McTavish" in the same sentence.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that the McTavish letter is Essex leather, which is a close cousin of Dublin but not quite the same.

2. rostov

rostov Well-Known Member

Stepping up to Cordovan isn't necessary. An MTO only changing color is $80. I agree there are far more versatile colors than walnut. I feel we just had this conversation earlier this week...

3. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Daltons with denim, all the way.

1 person likes this.
  4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Love that watch! Closer look and details please??

5. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I believe that's a JLC Reverso Duo.

6. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to place my first order from the Shoebank. I had pretty much narrowed it down to the Chili McGregor or the tan McTavish. The intended purpose is a pair of shoes that are a little more casual, for jeans and/or chinos. Then two things happened that have me second-guessing these choices.
    1. They dropped the price of the black McTavish $30 below the tan one. They also dropped the price of a red Neumok to about $100 in my size. There are a couple of decent chili shoes (Lasalle and Bradley) for about $150, but I don't know much about those.
    2. I started a project to refinish an old pair of Cheaney Royal Tweeds. I didn't like the original brown, and they were the exact same color as another pair of shoes. Depending on how I finish these, I may go with a different shoe. I'm really looking for suggestions.
    What are your color suggestions for finishing these shoes? Here's what they look like now:[​IMG]

7. mreams99

mreams99 Well-Known Member

Here's a better picture from the side:
    [​IMG]

8. CMT1

CMT1 Well-Known Member

Thanks halfnhalfnhalf!

Agreed. I wear my oxblood Daltons with denim, both raw/indigo and charcoal, every chance I get. I usually reach for them over the Shaker Heights, which I also like a lot, but the SH stopped getting worn as much once I bought the Dalton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've even been wearing the Dalton instead of the Dundees I just purchased, but that's more an issue of trying to keep the Dundees new for as long as possible. Stupid, I know, since they are obviously meant to be worn, but I'm still in a sort of kid-gloves honeymoon phase with those boots.

Perfect eye as always - It's an older "classic" Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo that predates the newer "harmonized" dial version and the larger Grande that followed. It's been seeing a lot of wear lately. One movement runs two independent dials, so the watch can be used to display two time zones or, in my case, pull double duty as either a black or white dial dress watch.

Some Horology purists regard the Reverso as a sport watch. It was originally designed for polo players who could flip the case on the carriage and protect the watch crystal while playing, but it's still a dress watch for me since I'm such a wildly crazy out of control rule-breaking heathen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope everyone's Saturday is going well!

9. kbuzz

kbuzz Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies re my post about dalton and denim. Im think im sold. ...oops just saw...those cmxl longbranch's and they look stellar. lol

So one more dalton question for the forum: what color? I love the walnut but I live in a pair of CJ sonniston's "tan" (really more brown and incidentally the quality is unbelievable)

[​IMG]

are they too close in color? The oxblood aint too shabby either...Thanks again

10. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

Does anyone have information on the retired Fairgate model? I bought a pair last year (firsts, store must've had them for a bit), and would like to know what last they're on.

They don't fit quite right, and might be up for sale soon if anyone is interested in a 9.5D Burgundy shell.

11. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

From your comment I think you're pretty new to this :) That fine, nothing to worry about. The 201 last is the new one I think they introduced to help people who had trouble with the 65. There are only two shoes on it, and they're both brand new. If you tried something on and it fit you perfectly then I would go for it. Otherwise, correct me if I was wrong, you were mainly looking for a sale item, in which case the Warwick and Rogue are most likely at their highest prices and can only drop from here. I would wait for the RDA for either of them. Up to you. Anything else you want to ask, don't hesitate. The ones I suggested are mainly because they seem to run larger than most 65-last shoes.

12. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Stoked to finally have the Black Hills back. I had originally bought them in grey but after waffling forever decided to return them. Black would have been nice, but walnut will have to do. They are definitely sleek looking - I was going to say if they work for you, I think they are better looking than the San Marco. The price is currently way down on shoebank. Just a suggestion.

13. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Single oak sole.

Shoes look pretty good for seconds, this is the first time I have ordered a pair.

There is some finish on the sole. The edging is sloppy in places and has one large divot. There is a small tear near one lace hole that probably isn't even big enough to see on a crappy iphone pic. The right shoe medallion is also slightly off center, but not terribly so.

The sole just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I called ahead to inquire about the pair so you think they would have mentioned that detail.

I will think on it this weekend but I am leaning towards sending them back and just waiting for my war chest to be replenished so I can buy some firsts.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Thanks. The San Marco is really close in color and style to my kenilworth so I don't need two of the same styles. I'm probably going to buy some nuemoks next. My casual game is lacking

15. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

16. peppercorn78

@Zzen that "divot" is perfectly normal and how they begin the welting process. It seems like every two days someone posts about this.

17. Zzen

Zzen Well-Known Member

Thank you sir, I am now smarter than before I read your post.

18. peppercorn78

Haha, I just read back my post and didn't mean for it to be so snarky. I had the very same question when I first joined the forum a few years back.

That's where the machine starts and stops the welt stitch. It looks a tad sloppy on your pair, but still within spec I imagine. I have paors of firsts that look like that.

19. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Dang, I woke up today thinking I was gonna keep my third pair. Now I'm not so sure...

I guess for free (it was a gift card so I have to use it) I'll give them a whirl. Now if I was actually paying money there is no way in hell I'd keep any of this line especially with the others that have chimed in.

I almost wish I would have kept the first pair and driven all three to the factory and shown them what the hell is wrong with all three. I dont live that far away...

Edit: sorry, didnt copy the whole quote... these are the bleeker streets we are talking about

20. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

My wife is always the first to point out bad welts on my shoes somehow lol. Split welts are in particular are tricky it seems when it comes to the start/stop point. I have more than a few that are very sloppy from various brands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.