• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Anyone ever pop a speedhook out? What are my options? I haz a sad...

OptoDoc

Reaction score
My thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Now the inevitable sizing question: How would one size the 8-Last in comparison to the 5- and 1-Lasts?

For Me: (Brannock 8.5D)

1 Last: 8.5D

5 Last: 8E

8 Last: 8D

BCer

Reaction score

I took the photo. And then I sold that pair to forum member BCer. Anyway, they were purchased from the AE website and my cobbler put that TOPY on, FYI.

And BCer is wearing them loud and proud!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've bought a jacket with a similar tag that had all the original tags, but had clearly been altered by a tailor. I think it was about 2/3 off the original price too. Regarding the shoes, I'd be surprised if they are pairs that someone bought and wore for a few weeks before returning, but would not be surprised if they are pairs with shop wear or that were worn once outside before returning - something very minimal but that would stil require refinishing the sole.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Quote:
Contact recrafting.

They may be able to help.
If not, your local cobbler can, but you have to get a good match in speedhook color/style.

Or just replace them all?

I was actually debating removing all of them and putting in eyelets. This is on my recent Eagle County MTO, and with small ankles, the speedhooks are more of a pain than I thought they would be. I like my Dalton's better with all eyelets. I wonder how much that would cost. Also wondering if it would ruin my shoe/the leather at all...

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was actually debating removing all of them and putting in eyelets. This is on my recent Eagle County MTO, and with small ankles, the speedhooks are more of a pain than I thought they would be. I like my Dalton's better with all eyelets. I wonder how much that would cost. Also wondering if it would ruin my shoe/the leather at all...
It can be done, but be aware that the spacing is different, and they may look odd.

Xchange

Reaction score

Hi Gents,

So far it's been a week i wear my Promontory boots and i dont feel as confortable as my other AE shoes...

The heel feel weird and i tried to remove the insole but it didn't fix the feeling and add another feeling like wearing a brick...

Do anybody having the same feeling as me?
No love for the promontory? or for me :)

Anyway... for me they don't work as good as the others one... this morning i walk'd 20min with them and my right heel was hurting so bad!

I may return them if no body have a solution ..

Last edited:

colonelk2

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my seconds long branch- and I was wondering about this steak on one of the shoes- it looks like someone took a light marker to it. Is there anything I can do myself to fix this?

I only have a jos a banks shoe care kit.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for the promontory? or for me :)

Anyway... for me they don't work as good as the others one... this morning i walk'd 20min with them and my right heel was hurting so bad!

I may return them if no body have a solution ..

I would imagine that there is simply something just wrong with your shoe, If the shoes are roomy on you order an insert or the AE orthotic. I am sure you would see a lot about it in the boot review on AE's site if it was common. I have 2 Daltons, Long Branch, Carson City and Shaker Heights and I would consider them all to be at maximum comfort level.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

It can be done, but be aware that the spacing is different, and they may look odd.

I thought the spacing was the same on AE? My wife's Bayfields seem to have the same spacing between the eyelets and hooks. I am considering having hers switched to all eyelets. I dunno why I didn't think of that during the MTO process. Dunno what I was thinking.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the spacing was the same on AE? My wife's Bayfields seem to have the same spacing between the eyelets and hooks. I am considering having hers switched to all eyelets. I dunno why I didn't think of that during the MTO process. Dunno what I was thinking.
Good point.
Check the specific boot.
I wasn't aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads