• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xchange

Reaction score

Hi Gents,

So far it's been a week i wear my Promontory boots and i dont feel as confortable as my other AE shoes...

The heel feel weird and i tried to remove the insole but it didn't fix the feeling and add another feeling like wearing a brick...

Do anybody having the same feeling as me?

Last edited:

colonelk2

Reaction score
Well guys- I'm an idiot.

I was choosing between the Fifth Street, Long Branch or Eagle County.

I'm a college student so I assume a Fifth Street is too formal.

I'm also really considering buying a bourbon Dalton- they look badass.

Opinions?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Well guys- I'm an idiot.

Opinions?

I say Dalton and Eagle Country. This way you have a wingtip and a cap toe.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
My unicorn exists. It's an LWB in blue suede with a red Gumlite sole. AE calls it the Nigel and they mak(d)e it for RL. $124, coming from Jeffersonville. I've never heard of this shoe and I can't find any photos of it online. The only reason I even knew it existed (and in my size no less) is that it showed up in that database (BTW the link no longer works for me). Crazy.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well guys- I'm an idiot.

Opinions?

Long branch and fifth street. You'll have a dressy boot, and then a casual one you can beat up.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say long branch and eagle county.

Long branches look great and for a college student, you'll get tons of wears out of them in school and after. The eagle county's will be fine for casual wear while the long branches you can beat up on more.

You won't wear the 5th streets or the daltons much. If you think you will, then I'd get the daltons and the LB's in 2 different colors. I think the LB's will have staying power. You're in college, you don't need dress boots yet. Especially if you're interning etc, in which case I'd recommend a basic dress shoe as well.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not an undergrad but I am a lowly grad student, and FWIW I got the fifth street in black and am using them as my 'formal black' shoe. You'll need one for job interviews and formal occasions.

I graduated four years ago, but I think I would have had the most utility out of a casual but dressy looking boot that would work for a little bit of light hiking and kicking around (Long branch) and a casual boot (eagle county).

I rarely needed dress shoes in college, so i don't see the point of spending so much on a boot I would rarely wear. I had a pair of meh dress shoes that worked for all my interviews. If I was to go back in time, I'd probably find a better pair of dress shoes for interviews, but I wouldn't buy boots for it. The point is to NOT stand out at interviews. If you're the only guy with boots, you stand out. Same reason I wouldn't wear the vest with my interview suit or wear a bright pocket square (white tv fold linen square please).

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone else who owns the Shaker Heights: do you happen to know what kind of leather used in it? I assume it's some kind of cowhide, but it seems spongey when you press down on it. I like it a lot, just want to be sure I know the best upkeep regimen...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really love the look of the shaker heights on people when I see them wearing it on here, but I just did not like the boot in person. It's totally my style too, but seeing it in my size in store was meh at best.

:/

I'm jelly of all yall it looks great on!

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Opinions?

If I were in your position, I'd only get the Long Branches. No need to spend too much money right away, before you really know your style, just because there is a sale. The Long Branches will be fine for anything from jeans to chinos to corduroy pants...and maybe even some more casual wool. There is probably no instance in your college career that you will need a formal dress boot.

If you want something just a bit more dressy than the Long Branch, I would add the bourbon Daltons later.

If you need formal footwear for weddings, funerals, job interviews etc., you should stick to a dress shoe...for now.

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score
Had to post another picture of my recently acquired (lightly worn from another SF member) Cognac Dublin Leather McTavish's. Love these shoes. Great for dressy-casual business environment...

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had to post another picture of my recently acquired (lightly worn from another SF member) Cognac Dublin Leather McTavish's. Love these shoes. Great for dressy-casual business environment...

Those are absolutely gorgeous, BCer. You're rocking them with style and class.

eilay

Reaction score
Thought I'd add my PAs here after a nice Saphir shine in midtown:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I were in your position, I'd only get the Long Branches. No need to spend too much money right away, before you really know your style, just because there is a sale. The Long Branches will be fine for anything from jeans to chinos to corduroy pants...and maybe even some more casual wool. There is probably no instance in your college career that you will need a formal dress boot.

If you want something just a bit more dressy than the Long Branch, I would add the bourbon Daltons later.

If you need formal footwear for weddings, funerals, job interviews etc., you should stick to a dress shoe...for now.

Agreed 100%

I'd go long branches and a dress shoe if you can find a black or burgundy one in your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads