1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Congrats they look great.

2. Jackboot

Jackboot Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of seconds yesterday - Walden loafers - and here is what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I correct that this is not an AE sole saver? I think what happened was a customer bought firsts, had the sole saver applied, decided they didn't fit, and AE allowed a return. These shoes definitely look like first quality to me.

3. LordRasta

LordRasta Well-Known Member

I have never seen that happen before. I usually get sole protectors so it wouldn't bother me but not everyone is a fan.

4. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Question for all the up north, bad weather boot (Dalton, Bleeker st, Long Branch, etc.) wearers (appropriate today since we just got a foot yesterday). Do wear a "rubber" (swims, totes, etc.) over the top when taking out in snow and slush or just go as is? If no to the cover, how do they hold up to the salt? I have ruined a couple of pairs of shoes with salt damage and would hate to do that to a beautiful pair of AE boots, but seems like part of the reason to have a dress boot is so you can just go as is.

5. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

Quote:I have no advice on the northern weather, but regardless AE's boots will be just as susceptible to salt damage as any leather shoe. Especially calf skin, not to mention anything with a leather sole. CXL Long Branches would be the best bet for going as is. Anything else you probably want to cover up as much as possible.

6. random-adam

random-adam Well-Known Member

From Allen Edmonds' description for Swims on their website:

"We've always thought that it doesn't make any sense to invest in a top-quality pair of Allen Edmonds shoes and not do everything you can to protect them."​

You'll find a variety of answers to your question. I had a pair of boots made up from Dublin leather with a lugged sole specifically for wretched salty snowy weather, immediately HDLP'd them, and reapply it as necessary. I'll also wear shell since it's a durable material that many believe looks better after significant wear.

You won't see me in calf when it's gross out (except for a dedicated, heavily-wax-polished pair of dainite-soled formal shoes for when I'm in a tuxedo and the show must go on). I've got a pair of swims just in case for a funeral or wedding or job interview. They're used maybe once or twice a year at most.

7. lemmy127

lemmy127 Well-Known Member

I wore shell Patriots with SWIMS over the top this morning (in hindsight I should have gone with a full-fledged shoe since I got snow on my socks). If it's pretty dry/all shoveled away or too cold for anything to melt, I'm satisfied with boots by themselves. But if I know I'll get snow, slush, or salt all over, I've got a pair of boots that aren't terribly fashionable from Kohl's for that type of situation.

8. csmitty

csmitty Well-Known Member

So in two sizes I checked there were 289 Black PA 2nds. Almost averaged between the two. That just blows my mind. I guess they just pump out black PA's all day long if their reject rate is pretty similar across most standard models (assumption). But you would also think it'd be pretty streamlined for that flagship shoe. 78 total for Walnut Strands also.

I guess that's why they say they have a black PA in stock in your size or $100 or something.

9. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

I'm a size 10 E on the 5 last -- should I go 1/2 size up and/or up in width with the Brooks Brothers Park Ave. with poron insoles?

Thanks

10. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Not in my experience. I fit the same when I had the fifth ave from BB.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

My long branches did a yoemans job of holding back the nasty foot-deep puddles of dirty NYC slush on the way to work. But I'm letting them dry out as I break in these suede patriot 2nds, in honor of my wife's home team's victory last night. My enthusiasm for the big game was somewhat deflated, but not so for these kicks.

[​IMG]

I'm usually quite tolerant for seconds, but I honestly can't find a damn thing wrong with them. Quite pleased with what I got for my $127 :)

4 people like this.
  12. LordRasta

LordRasta Well-Known Member

Very nice. I too am from Brooklyn so I have a strong dislike for all Boston sports teams. I live in Atlanta and my friends try to no avail to make me a Falcons fan.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

Snow is no problem - my Daltons have a full vibram lug sole so I'm good to go. If it really gets bad I go with my redwings.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Well-Known Member

2nd vote for no change in size with bb versions.

15. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Well-Known Member

Thanks! Just ordered a pair of BB PA for $159 and snuff suede Gobi for $187 from the Shoebank.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  16. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

BB Shoebank shoes are the best deal with the current sale $159. Pretty large stock in the sizes I got emailed (9-9.5)

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

18. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

How did you get a list of available BB models? I too am a 9-9.5. Can you give me an idea of what models are available?
    Thanks,

19. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

You send them an e-mail and request the BB models. They know it isn't on shoebank, so they respond quickly. I got my list within 30 minutes of request. I'll PM you the list

20. TheGreatUnwashe

TheGreatUnwashe Member

Can anyone comment on the level of quality of shell 2nds? In particular I am interested in the leeds and dundee but don't want to waste time if the general consensus is the quality of the 2nds is too poor for a shell shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.