1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Bottom line is I would never give my hard earned money to someone unwilling to help me. Just move on and buy from someone who offers better service.

I have worked in sales most of my life and I can say a lot of SA have a sort of mental cutoff in their mind where they think the commission is just not worth the amount of time invested. Not saying it's right but it happens, these people fail to look past the initial sale instead of trying to gain a long term customer. They typically move out of sales eventually. This attitude is especially true if you have purchased from other staff at the store before as they now know you may not be back to buy from them specifically in the future. As a customer, building a relationship with your commission based SA is the best thing you can do as Mike and others kind of touched on. I can say nothing was more frustrating to be than providing amazing service to a customer in hopes for future business and the next time they come in for a big sale they are just obliviously working with someone else.

I buy most of my AE from the Shoebank and deal with one SA now after he insisted on inspecting the shoes while on the phone with me so that we could decided if I wanted them, given whatever flaw they may have. This has saved both him and myself time and effort to return them had the flaws been too bad. He was the first to do this for me and now has my business for as long as he works there, in fact my brother in law will be getting a pair of Clark Street from him during the upcoming sale likely.

2. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

As much professionalism as you may expect from a "higher end" men's store sales associate; you must remember that their are all kinds of different folks, different personalities, and different opinions on what is professional.

Surely, this isn't the first time you have had an awkward conversation with a "stranger".

The good part of the story is you have had good dealings with the manager.

1) - Go in and deal with him only on his schedule
    2) - Find another store
    3) - Order online and deal with no one, now that you have been in enough times to find out what fits and what doesn't.
    4) - Buy another brand - so many good options now.

Personally I like the "wild cards", I think their hilarious for the most part. If you can't get it out of your head; you need thicker skin, or just walk away to another store or company, and let it be water under the bridge.

Its not like she broke up your marriage. Or did she? (I'm totally kidding.)

Sincerely,

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I'm sporting some walnut shell Dundees... much thanks to @mdubs for bringing them to my attention. While I am an Alden-oholic, I am quite pleased with this AE make-up. They certainly feel much lighter and the shape of the 1 last appears to be an improvement over the Alden chukka. (I know, gasp...!)
    [​IMG]

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Welcome back, RTP. [​IMG]

Those are beautiful. Although I love my ravello shell Alden chukkas [​IMG] I prefer the fit of the Dundees as well.

5. halfnhalfnhalf

Breaking in the bourbon Daltons today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Those look great! Any tiger striping on them? My bourbon strands have two stripes, but it doesn't bother me much.

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

[​IMG]
    Had some fun with my black shell macneils today... What do you think of this on casual Friday?

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I like the Purple lacesl! Would look better with grey denim, but they look cool!

9. halfnhalfnhalf

Thanks. A little striping, but the pants cover it up. My SA at the Shoebank was nice enough to give them the once-over before shipping them to me.

10. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Breaking out the chili Provo and black New Haven for this weekend in New Orleans. We have a house rented on Bourbon Street to celebrate a friend's birthday and, while I wanted to bring the Dundees and Daltons, from what I've read the place is better suited to the AE line given the reportedly unclean environment that we'll be traversing.

[​IMG]

I also packed a pair of true beater shoes. If it proves to be as much of a party war zone as I'm reading, I'll likely want to spare the AEs as I happen to like them a lot.

Have a great weekend guys!

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

EDIT: DELETED

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Love those Daltons in Walnut. I guess many posts ago I sort of bragged about getting my Daltons from shoebank for $115 and that was no joke, but the black color I got them in just doesn't do the wingtip design justice.

13. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Very mysterious @mdubs - are you 19 or 90? To me (and I'm not an SA), any adult male with feet entering an AE store would seem like a potential customer.

Also, I can't imagine YOU being ignored, considering your footwear. Any skilled SA should identify you as a potential goldmine when you enter the county. I'm just saying

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Would be interested to see them, definitely. Navy suede spiaggia, now that's what I'm talking about!

15. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

For bourbon street, I wouldn't risk it. I'd cringe at the thought of beer/drinks spilling on shoes. Catch the parades tomorrow night. It will be a good bit of fun. Just a heads up, I believe there will be state troopers deployed in the quarter due to crime being on the up tick lately, so be vigilant. Have fun and eat some king cake!

16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

You're bringing Daltons to Bourbon Street? I remember going there like 4 or 5 years ago - it was wall to wall chaos, nonstop drinking, people getting trampled and police on horseback beating/handcuffing people and putting them into custody. Waitresses would push these "body shots" onto people, spilling them all over the place. Picture this neon colored liquid from a test tube in a chemistry rack spilling all over your brand new Daltons. Leave em home, trust me on that. This place is better suited to Cole Haan - ha!

17. antb29

antb29 Member

Got one of the last pair of boardroom (Jos A Banks Park Avenue) at the shoebank. $150. The crease on the right shoe sucks, but they're bound to get some anyway and they fit great.

[​IMG]

18. DayTripper

DayTripper Senior member

This was my same exact experience! Those vials are basically everclear and hawaiin punch. I think I wore Vans that whole weekend and I'm grateful that nobody vomited on them.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Listen to this man on this, I beg of you. Vans would be a good option. Hey, maybe even Toms!

20. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Long story short.. I picked up three pairs of AE (2 Walnut Strands based on this forum's advise, 1 black Park Avenue) during last summer's sale. Finally picked them up (I live abroad). Anyway, I've got to say the Strands are some of the best shoes I've ever owned. Absolutely gorgeous colour and a great fit for my feet. I feel they're at least as good as my Church's Chetwynds (yes, not a lot of love for Church's on this forum I understand, but still). I had seen some posts here about how fantastic these shoes are, the compliments they get, and how they make you feel like a million. I have to agree. Thanks SF for your great advice.

Regards,
    IG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.