1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

yeah... No homo

1 person likes this.
  2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Going old school today. This was AEs bourbon in the late 1990s - early 2000s. The Sanford.
    [​IMG]

Chris

3. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

I too like those Suede Leeds from Club Monaco.

I want to see the PTB Badlands that was done here a few months back.

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

5. halfnhalfnhalf

Boy, they really went easy on the burnishing wheel in those days. Those basically look like straight-up walnut to me. Could some of that effect be patina?

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

7. halfnhalfnhalf

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Not much patina on these. I also have some bourbon Bridgeton loafers from the late 1990's - early 2000's and they are the identical color.

The color is close to walnut, but with a touch more orange to it. I am wearing my walnut belt today and when I held the belt up to the shoes you can see the difference better.

Chris

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Late 1990s AE bourbon and current walnut belt comparison.
    [​IMG]

Chris

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

11. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I still love the Sanford on the 7 last. I had that before anything on the 5 last and I think that it fits me better as well.

12. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I think that the jack of all trade shoes can be great additions after you have the basics of formal and casual shoes covered. I love a dress shoe or boot with double soles and a split reverse welt to add some bulk to a more formal style and then use a shade or leather that brings out that more casual nature.

13. rostov

rostov Senior member

I think those in-between shoes are great for the casual jeans-wearing, white-collar office. That basically describes any software shop in the Bay area. I presume it works the same way for college campuses where you can get away with jeans and sneakers (or sandals!), but where it's probably better to dress at least a tad preppy.

I work from home, so the dressier shoes don't work too well for day-to-day unless they're walnut (or similar). Even my Strands see less and less time now, in favor of the Shreveport. Only one pair of my ~10 AEs are formal and the rest I wear to places like the grocery store, the park, or even hiking...

14. halfnhalfnhalf

In thinking about these issues, it occurs to me that one way to get at them would be to try to boil my 100-pair shoe collection down to seven pairs that would cover the gamut of outfits, from T-shirt and denim to full-on suit, and otherwise be as versatile as possible. An impossible task, to be sure, but if I limit myself to my AEs, here's what I come up with:

(1) Rutledge, black shell
    (2) Leeds, burgundy shell
    (3) MacNeil, brown shell
    (4) MacNeil, burgundy shell
    (5) Dundee, cappuccino shell
    (6) Dalton, bourbon calf

(1) would be suits and only suits. (2) could go with anything. (3) and (4) would go with anything except suits. (5) and (6) could theoretically go with anything, although I don't like wearing boots with suits.

The essential spectrum of colors is represented. The list is shell-heavy, but I like shell.

With pair (7), I'll cheat . . . white canvas sneakers (which AE doesn't make [​IMG] ).

15. rostov

rostov Senior member

This is a good base, but it becomes problematic in certain climates. Being from Philadelphia where we get the worst of summer and winter, I'd add loafers and heavier boots. Chukkas are nice, but not the most practical shoe around here for a limited rotation. The Dalton is fine, but the Longbranch is more practical around here if putting together a limited rotation.

Anyway, around here, I could see someone being comfortable having two pairs of boots for winter, a pair of rain/shoe boots, two beefroll loafers for summer, and a cap toe or quarter-brogue for events as long as they're all the right colors. Less essentially, also having a pair or two of shoes that fill the gap like a brown PTB, especially if working in a more conventional office. Possibly more boots if working as an engineer (of the boots on the ground variety). Everything should have rubber or v-thread soles, if you're talking about a 7-shoe deck.

My own rotation is at about 11 pairs at the moment, but minus a second loafer, hits those marks and adds a few pairs for either fun or convenience. I love, for instance, my Navy Banchory, which aren't essential, but I really enjoy them. I'd love a Dundee, but don't believe it should be a staple. I've also got two pairs which were total misses which I'm going to either sell or recraft.

16. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I would swap one of the MacNeils (burgundy most likely since you have it in the Leeds) for a loafer if you're into that sort of thing. Suede or shell.

17. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Remember this silence from AE? Looks like they decided to ship THE EXACT same defective/blemished pair of shoes back to me that I had returned for a 2nd exchange. No courtesy email saying "hey, these are firsts by us, do you want them back?" Nope, they just resent them stone cold. They also sent me another belt, which I didn't need as I kept the replacement belt from the first exchange. What a wonderful experience. :embar: I love driving 25 minutes out of the way on my trip home from work to get to a dropoff location.

@AllenEdmondsCEO

18. halfnhalfnhalf

19. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

@Rugger, it seems every thing you say on here about AE is negative. Why not just buy other brands of shoes if the AE experience is so bad for you? This is an "appreciation" thread after all...just an observation. Why give yourself all this aggravation? Life's too short, be happy.

20. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

For the same reason I curse my favorite football team. I expect better and want them to win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.