Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes apparently it does. My new shell Bradley's bowed badly compared to my other AE shoes. As mentioned they all bow somewhat due to the construction AE uses but when you get a pair that bow more than normal you can tell after owning other AE shoes. I too was worried that it would be an exercise in futility but AE customer support is everything it is claimed to be and then some. It took a month to hear back from them (they are or at least were backlogged) but they called me and said yes they were defective and the throat opening was too large. She offered to search all AE stores for an existing pair but suggested that I wait and they would build me a new pair. She said a pair from a store would likely have been tried on by others and I should have a brand new pair instead. She also said once they were built she would personally inspect them and measure the throat opening then call me before sending them to me. I would send those PA in if it were me, they are very serious about making sure you are satisfied. Which helped drive me to order several more pairs [​IMG]

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If you do not have the same issue in other 5 last shoes, then I say go for it. Return them.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Wow, those are sharp!

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

They are - nice pebble grain!

Very narrow - one of you 2-last wearers should give them a try!

7. DataDude

DataDude Member

I was pretty impressed with the Larkin model. Still a few pairs left. That brown color is nice.

I didn't like the Montecito - vamp is way too short/low - didn't fully appreciate what that meant til I got a pair.

If you don't mind super casual - really liked the Boulder as well - very comfortable, but needed 3e instead of e - seems like others had similar fit issues.

Winnetka - if you don't mind it in black is a nice casual loafer.

All of these I got for under $150 a pair, but I think the Montecito is higher now. I would skip that one anyway - unless you really want that low vamp.

8. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

I posted a picture of my recently purchased Park Avenue yesterday. And you can see on the previous page a tiny gap on the side of the heel. If I try to pull down hard on the heel the gap very slightly opens up. Is this a problem worth of a defect? These are not seconds.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If these are brand new, unworn and the heel is splitting, I would absolutely exchange them for another pair.

10. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

I've only worn them for a few hours while trying to break them in. So I've already put a bit of wear on the sole. These 8D fit quite tight, so I ordered the Jefferson in an 8E from Nordstrom. I actually went to the department stores instead of buying factory seconds to avoid any hassles. I think I may have to see if Macy's would take them back with some wear on the leather sole.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

I've had to exchange three times due to a splitting heal. No problems exchanging at all...

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

If Macys had issues taking them back with some wear, contact AE directly, they should resolve your dilema. Even if your dilema is due to wrong sizing.

13. jeust0999

jeust0999 Member

Okay, thanks. I think with as much as I want to wear these shoes I should probably get a pair that's going to take the mileage.

14. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Thanks guys, I actually just returned them to Amazon, instead I'm getting the Rutledge in black but there is a 2-3 week wait.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's how I feel about the Westchester. I didn't notice it until I wore them a few times but I prefer a longer/taller vamp on a loafer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.