1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Slow down. Believe me. You will learn a lot and your tastes will evolve exponentially just by being on this website.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

299 daltons?! Please provide more details.

3. RVA19

RVA19 Active Member

Local shop Franco's is having a large sale on a lot of clothing, including some miscellaneous shoes. In my size 10.5, the only AE they had were Daltons... both bourbon and walnut. I didn't check what they had on the other shoe tables.

4. RVA19

RVA19 Active Member

I've been lurking on the site for quite a while and had a need to replace some older shoes so definitely not rushing in to anything. A lot of the other shoes that needed replacing were 10+ years old and were lesser quality (J&M, CH, etc.)

5. Gavilan

Gavilan Active Member

Darkside's advice is on point. Slow it down a bit.

6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I would bring them to a cobbler. It will cause a more dramatic change and will help prevent the pain that you have to endure to just barely stretch them. It takes a lot from your foot to actually stretch a leather shoe that is lined enough to make that big of a difference. Plus when you use a thicker sock to fill up space as I commonly have to do with an extremely narrow foot, it is one thing. It is completely different when you are trying to make your foot effectively larger to stretch a shoe because the material of the sock does spread and thins out in different areas, which lowers the effectiveness of the idea. A cobbler can fill the area with a stretcher and even add pads/blocks to the stretcher to push out in those areas with something hard and solid.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

My fellow AE fans I need opinions.

I have a pair of navy players on the way and i realize most of my shoes are brown shades.

Kenilworth - Brown
    Stand - Walnut
    Lasalle - Chili
    San Marco - Brown
    Fifth Ave - Black (being sold at the moment)

Was thinking about the Daltons in bourbon. Is it too close to my other shoes in brown? or maybe oxblood? or the cronmok?

8. mw313

mw313 Senior member

it is a boot so go for it if you like the shade. I have many different styles in similar shades. Some colors are so versatile that it is best to have it in different models because they probably will vary slightly in color anyway.

1 person likes this.
  9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I have the walnut Strand, dark brown PA, and bourbon Dalton. The bourbon is a happy medium between the walnut and brown, and is actually the one I think would be the most versatile out of the three.

The bourbon Dalton is definitely one of my favorite pairs of shoes.

10. k4sh1n

k4sh1n New Member

Looking to buy a pair of AE strands in bob's chili (the darker chili color). What color belt would go best with these color shoes? The only two belts I have at the moment are a black belt and a darker brown belt but I don't think either color goes well with these shoes. Any suggestions?

11. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

It's been 5 business days since my second return/exchange was received by AE and not a peep. I think this will be my last business with AE. Time to move up a level I guess :embar:

12. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

AE has some of the best customer service out there, not sure what moving up a level would do. If you are concerned you could always call the location you returned to.

Though It does say right on the AE website "Please allow 7-10 business days, once we have received your return, for processing your return"

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I returned a pair of shoes and didn't hear anything for almost two weeks, despite Fedex Tracking showing they were received in 2 days. Granted, I was busy during that time and not really too concerned.

So, I shot an email to the store to inquire. They replied saying their records show they never received the shoes, and asked me to call to discuss it. I sent them a copy of the tracking info and they were very nice, helpful, and apologetic. They assured me that they must have mis-filed the shoes that I had returned, and that's why they were not showing up as having been received back into their inventory.

They refunded my credit card in about 5 seconds, and were very pleasant.

Problem solved.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I usually just poke around TJ Maxx or Marshall's every once in a while to find a belt that hits pretty close to Chili or Walnut. I've had great luck, as I've found one that is a near perfect match for each of those colors, and the quality is pretty decent (for what you'd expect to find there).

If you're looking for a fancier $100 belt, I can't help you there.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

What's the story on the Norwich (I mean besides the whole 2 last thing). Anyone here have it? Like it?

Between Norwich and bradley, which would be more versatile? Less old mannish?

What do folks wear with either?

16. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Oxblood, merlot or navy. If it's Daltons you are after Oxblood for sure. Pure sex. Really regret missing the EC Oxblood GMTO. Or throw in a suede Navy Mcgregor.

17. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Have the Norwich in brown calf...probably the least-worn of my now 17 AEs. Probably mostly has to do with the fact that I have 3 other business casual-ish shoes in brown (Neumora, Patriot, and Townley) that I'll tend to chose over the Norwich. The 2-last fit doesn't help either.

I'd rather have the Bradley. That partly goes to the fact that I don't currently have a burgundy open-laced shoe & have too many dark brown options, though.

18. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Maiden voyage of my rush streets. My girlfriend had a little fun with her picture app.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I'll try - will let you know how this works out. Note to the others - listen to the dr, he knows what he is talking about.

20. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I was looking for a pair of sort of rugged casual AEs. My go-to was the Ridgeway but it looks like I missed out on that since there are no more around. Was really hoping to score a pair of Black Hills in black but all that is available is the Walnut and the Grey. For anyone that hasn't tried them, the Black Hills are crazy comfortable. Anyway, let's say these were my choices based on availability of shoebank and the retail store at this point:
    Brooks Aberdeen (dark brown), Brooks San Marco (black), AE Kiowa, AE Nashua (all black), Black Hills (Walnut). I prefer black or darker colors in general.
    1.) Which do you think is the best choice of these, and 2.) Anyone have any experience with either the Brooks Aberdeen or the Kiowa? I don't have much experience with the Brooks styles; I think I did try on one at some point and remember it being a much more snug fit due to the poron but didn't know if it was enough to justify a size change. I love the look of the Kiowa but have no idea on the sizing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.