1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Great! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask us all. We are a team here.

2. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Hah! I am guessing a significant other is somehow connected to this...

Here is what I would go for.

Keep Pile:
    1. Black Captoe Bal (AE Park Ave)
    2. burgundy Shell cordovan long wings (old Florsheims) (AE MacNeil)
    3. burgundy Shell Cordovan Penny Loafers (Alden LHS) (AE Patriot)
    4. Brown captoe bluchers (Alden for BB) (AE Lexington)
    5. Walnut "medallion perforated captoe" bals (Alfred Sargent for BB) (this in walnut) (Slightly less embellished AE Strand)

Go Pile:
    • Merlot Wingtip Bals (AE McAlister)
    • burgundy Shell cordovan Plain Toe Bluchers (AE Leeds)
    • this weird kiltie monkstrap that for some reason I can't get myself to return (C&J for black fleece) (AE Montague???)

Then you have a nice mix of brogue-ing, colors, and plain-ness. Also 1 and 2 are great for suits. 2, 3, 4, and 5 are good with slacks or casual attire (jeans or cords).

Just my two cents.

The only thing that I may do here is change number 4 into a Brown (Shell ;-)) Plain Toe Blucher if you like PTBs. That way you still have a versatile shoe that is brown and you keep the plain toe for a day in which you want simple and no distractions on your feet.

As requested, I do not like that kiltie at all, it is way out of my taste range. I also don't know how anyone would pair that (and look good). But I am sure there are peeps who can. Just not me.

-Mike

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  3. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

I believe, what the associate was trying to convey is this (drawing on my own experience): Often times, customers assume that they can only wear one specific last, thereby limiting their options. What we (AE employees) sometimes make an effort to get across is most guys can wear numerous, if not all of our lasts. They may have to adjust sizes in different lasts, but they really aren't limited to one last.

I only have to explain this when a customer comes in stating, "The 8 last is the only one that fits me..." I may try to explain to this gentleman that, while the 8 last is the best for him in a 9D, he may very well be able to wear a 5-lasted shoe in a 8.5E, or the 678 in a 8.5D, or the 222 in a 9.5D, etc...

Again, just speaking for myself, and not all AE employees. I hope this helps ease your mind Re: the level of knowledge of AE employees.

Ryan

1 person likes this.
  4. mdubs

Ryan, I agree with you. I have a whole "dance" of sizes that I utilize for different lasts. I highly highly recommend going to a large retail store and trying on a whole slew of lengths and widths in your size ballpark to see which fit feels the best. I always try to do this "blind" not knowing the sizes, so that I don't introduce a bias. I will say this takes a very awesome and patient sales rep to do. But they exist. ;-)

The only exception I have found are loafers. Sometimes a persons instep precludes them from wearing certain loafer models. It is a 3 dimensional problem and a high instep or low instep can not be compensated by tightly or loosely tying the laces on a loafer.

-Mike

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  5. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Me again, sorry. I tried wearing my Jermyns again on two other occasions, like 11+ hours/day, mixed walking + sitting behind a desk each time with crew socks that made the shoes uncomfortably tight. Each time by the end of the day my right big toe (incl. joint) became swollen to the point where I was practically limping. When it has settled down enough I had planned to give the Jermyns another try using some kind of thinner dress socks (i.e. what I would normally wear with them) to see if they have stretched any more. I mentioned this in the retail store and they offered to try to stretch them for me. Also called the customer service number who said to take them to a cobbler as they didn't think the retail store would be too effective. As you can probably tell, I love these things and don't want to give up on them. What do you think - take them to a cobbler or continue to try to stretch them myself with the thick socks (as long as I can endure the pain). I feel like if I could just stretch out the right shoe a little bit they would be perfect - really annoying. At least I didn't order the Westchester at the same time as these like I planned to do.

6. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

^ I am that person! I want a Grayson so bad, but I cannot get a size to work for me...

To your point about "blind" trying: I have some funny stories about that. Guys who "have always worn a 12" fit like a glove in a 10.5 EEE, until they hear the size. "10.5?! You know they feel a little short..." LOL

7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

The Khaki (Grain) McTavish seconds that I ordered on Sunday arrived here today. When I ordered the McTavishs, I spoke to Andrew in the Riverhead NY Allen-Edmonds Outlet Store. When I order seconds, I always ask the SA to look at the seconds to see how they look. To make sure that he wasn't missing anything, Andrew also asked another SA to look at them.

They arrived here today. I also looked at them, and, like Andrew and the other SA, I didn't see anything wrong with them. For fans of Allen-Edmonds oddities, this was the first time that I had ordered shoes from an AE store in New York rather than in Wisconsin, and they arrived here (in Los Angeles) three days sooner (and Monday was a holiday) that shoes shipped from Wisconsin.

I took them out of the box and took a picture. Sorry that I had to take the picture indoors. It was nearly dark when the shoes arrived, probably because the FedEx truck was delayed in the Bidenjam here today.

[​IMG]

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I wouldn't feel too bad - I really wanted the Manchester, ultimately wound up with the Jermyn, but did not like the Grayson at all, both appearance and fit. There are much better options out there, trust me.

9. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

They look great (I just wore my Black McTavish today myself), but I couldn't help but wonder - aren't the khaki part of the Feb sale, so why get them now?

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Feb sale? where did you hear this?

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

For me, I have little problem finding a size to fit in most lasts . . . but some lasts I just find unappealing aesthetically (the 5 last) or, at worst, absolutely ugly (the 333 last).

The 108 last is perfect for me. I know the size that fits me perfectly, and the shape is absolutely lovely.

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Sweet! Congrats. Did these have the rubber sole?

13. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

No, the Khaki (Grain) McTavishs have leather soles. After I took the picture, I laced them up and then walked four blocks up the alley to a Chinese restaurant, had a bowl of Hot & Sour Soup, and then walked back home down the alley, so I got the leather soles roughed up a bit prior to taking them to have TOPY rubber sole protectors put on.

I have never had to "break in" any shoes. I just lace then up and go out. I used to know someone who was the manager of a shoe store. He always told me that if you get the right size shoe, you don't have to break them in. They should fit perfectly when you first put them on.

1 person likes this.
  14. randomnoob

randomnoob Senior member

i just started ordering some AE shoes which are my 2nd "real" shoes. I have always been a "Size 8.5" with shoes that are only available in medium width. The AE size chart puts me at a 7.5E or 8E. I'm finding 8E and 7.5EE both work (i walked around in both pairs several times and couldnt decide which was better). In narrower lasts i might want a 7.5EEE or 8EE..

just wondering if there is some rule if i cant figure out which pair is the better fit. go with the narrower or wider? go with the nicer leather? go with whatevers available? Will i get killed with the EE or EEE's if i ever want to sell a pair someday?

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

16. bibimbap

bibimbap New Member

How can you not have any creases after two yrs? There aren't creases on the ankle area?

17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

So I picked up some cordovan 2nds and found this little slice in the quarter. Doesn't seem overly deep but haven't looked hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should it be cause for concern? Being that far back it doesn't seem as bad. Since it might not see as much stress. Any good repair techniques?

18. RVA19

RVA19 Active Member

Doubled the size of the AE stable today. Merlot McAllister's came in the mail today and then picked up a pair of bourbon Dalton's for $299 at my local suit shop. Already thinking about what is next.

19. mdubs

Ha. Based upon this quote and the fact that you are here, you are in trouble my friend. :)

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

If the seconds price was a good deal I would keep them....if it was calf I would think it would be more of a problem than with shell. I would not think that will get any bigger length wise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.