• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Ugh. I tried on the Cronmoks this weekend in NYC and they were soooo damn comfortable. But the colors are just... ewww.... The blue is too light (much lighter than navy nuemok), the brown is too distressed, and the tan look like flesh. I wonder if they'll change or add new leather?

If they are still an existing, non-clearance shoe you can order them in any leather color you want.

devastitis

Reaction score

Let me just say, I'm really glad i went with the bourbon.
Dang it, I just purchased brown calf Fifth Aves instead of bourbon. Making me want to pony up and buy the bourbon Strands as well. Don't think I should buy a third pair of McAllisters. Beautiful shoes and nice jeans.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Dang it, I just purchased brown calf Fifth Aves instead of bourbon. Making me want to pony up and buy the bourbon Strands as well. Don't think I should buy a third pair of McAllisters. Beautiful shoes and nice jeans.

Bourbon strands, just to make your decision easier
biggrin.gif

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Haha..dang you. What do you usually pair your bourbon Strands with? I think I'm going to hold out until after the Brooks Brothers sale and see what the damage is from that.

I have both the Bourbon and Walnut Strands. I'm using the Bourbon for more formal events. I've worn them with navy suits and dark grey suits. I'm sure they would look good with dark jeans (like these http://cdn.styleforum.net/c/cc/500x1000px-LL-cc72e3be_IMG_5717.jpeg) but have not tried it. I wear my walnut strands with jeans most of the time.

devastitis

Reaction score

I have both the Bourbon and Walnut Strands.  I'm using the Bourbon for more formal events. I've worn them with navy suits and dark grey suits.  I'm sure they would look good with dark jeans (like these http://cdn.styleforum.net/c/cc/500x1000px-LL-cc72e3be_IMG_5717.jpeg) but have not tried it.  I wear my walnut strands with jeans most of the time.

Ah, I see. I have the walnuts as well, but I feel like I wear them too often, if that makes sense. You don't think you could rock the same pants but with the bourbons? This is a tough decision haha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item5405aa3293#shId

+ $18 in eBay bucks. I think I'm going to pass, but someone should jump on it so I don't have to.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AE Brown Shell Neumoks! These are an almost completely unlined shoe, with the added bonus that any of the interior lining is done in shell cordovan. I don't believe you could do a full interior lining with shell, but Neumoks have, as default, the outer leather also being used as the inner leather, and the sock liner. Allison volunteered that back when I was designing these, and I was flummoxed. These are going to be patina machines. The unlined nature of them means that they've already started having major creases and discolorations, in a good way.

Brown Shell Cordovan, on a double JR Sole, with transparent light brown edging and chili reverse welt. A bit thicker of a sole than Neumoks come with standard, but as they break in I hope they'll get super comfortable.

Perfect fit, 9.5EEE. In this picture, you can see that in some lighting, they look almost like they're color #8.

Might be a bit tough to see, but there's a slight faint stripe that occurred after exactly one flex of the shoe. These are going to be patina MACHINES!

The half-insole sockliner is made of shell cordovan, as is the heel lining.

The rest of the shoe is unlined, which allows you to see some really cool stitching patterns for the shell cordovan. I can see the celastic toe insert in the front of the shoe. Unstructured would be better, but that's the one thing AE will not do.

Final thoughts: my *only* complaint is that the tongues feel a bit flimsy and I'm worried I'll just rip them if I'm not careful. Shell isn't very strong laterally, and it's definitely a concern. I'm going to keep the tongue well conditioned, and since oiliness often lends strength to shell.

Not a complaint, but these came super greasy. That's a good thing, as I've had problems with shell coming brittle and dry, especially unlined shell and a tremendous shine isn't something I really need. I use Lexol on my shell cordovan, and while it doesn't give the instant shine of Reno, it keeps my shoes super healthy feeling, and I can brush them to a high gloss really quickly.

These are definitely keepers, 6 months in the making.

Edit: ugh, okay so a minor but definitely seconds issue with this. So, it looks like they ran some stitches in the wrong place, then pulled some out. So just a few random holes in the side of the shoe. Minor, but I've reached out to Allison. This shoe has been cursed...

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I tried on the Cronmoks this weekend in NYC and they were soooo damn comfortable. But the colors are just... ewww.... The blue is too light (much lighter than navy nuemok), the brown is too distressed, and the tan look like flesh. I wonder if they'll change or add new leather?

Regarding the blue, it's possible that the leather had dried out. A few weeks ago a member posted some before-and-after photos showing the results of conditioning a pair of Chukkamoks. The blue in the "after" was much more appealing. If you hunt for and can find those photos, it might give you a different perspective.

CMT1

Reaction score
  • wdhab, those are striking. The color is gorgeous!

Hi guys. Longtime lurker, first time poster, and recent Allen Edmonds convert turned fanatic.

I stopped into the local brick and mortar during their Presidents Day sale and left with two discontinued pairs from their less-expensive "AE" line.

Chili Provo and Black New Haven:

The more I wore them, the more I fell in love with both pairs and wanted more Allen Edmonds shoes. While I was originally in the store, the Strands caught my eye and I ended up going back to the store. While I initially intended to purchase a pair in Walnut, I walked out with a pair of Bourbon Strands and am still smitten by the color. I just love it.

At this point the guys at the AE store knew I was hooked. I had been in at least five times in two weeks trying to decide upon my next shoe, and when they informed me that they had a line on another pair of Strands that seemed somewhat rare, I jumped on them:

Sorry for the overabundance of pics. I'm an avid Photography enthusiast who has spent time shooting professionally, so I tend to err on the side of far too many redundant photos of [insert passion du jour here]. Given this new affliction, I do not see myself affording any new glass for the camera bag any time soon.

I tell myself that I only need two more pairs of Cordovan Park Avenues, a black and burgundy set and I am "done," but I keep looking at the AE Web site and laughing.

Great thread!

NicNac

Reaction score
Received my Bourbon Daltons today. It will be very hard to decide between these new boots and the Walnut Daltons I already have! I went down in half size length and up in width on these new boots and they fit just fine. I put a half sole on my Walnuts and debating whether I should just leave these the way they are.

Question....is the butyl sole supposed to be water resistant and anti slip?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AE Brown Shell Neumoks! These are an almost completely unlined shoe, with the added bonus that any of the interior lining is done in shell cordovan. I don't believe you could do a full interior lining with shell, but Neumoks have, as default, the outer leather also being used as the inner leather, and the sock liner. Allison volunteered that back when I was designing these, and I was flummoxed. These are going to be patina machines. The unlined nature of them means that they've already started having major creases and discolorations, in a good way.

Brown Shell Cordovan, on a double JR Sole, with transparent light brown edging and chili reverse welt. A bit thicker of a sole than Neumoks come with standard, but as they break in I hope they'll get super comfortable.

Perfect fit, 9.5EEE. In this picture, you can see that in some lighting, they look almost like they're color #8.

Might be a bit tough to see, but there's a slight faint stripe that occurred after exactly one flex of the shoe. These are going to be patina MACHINES!

The half-insole sockliner is made of shell cordovan, as is the heel lining.

The rest of the shoe is unlined, which allows you to see some really cool stitching patterns for the shell cordovan. I can see the celastic toe insert in the front of the shoe. Unstructured would be better, but that's the one thing AE will not do.

Final thoughts: my *only* complaint is that the tongues feel a bit flimsy and I'm worried I'll just rip them if I'm not careful. Shell isn't very strong laterally, and it's definitely a concern. I'm going to keep the tongue well conditioned, and since oiliness often lends strength to shell.

Not a complaint, but these came super greasy. That's a good thing, as I've had problems with shell coming brittle and dry, especially unlined shell and a tremendous shine isn't something I really need. I use Lexol on my shell cordovan, and while it doesn't give the instant shine of Reno, it keeps my shoes super healthy feeling, and I can brush them to a high gloss really quickly.

These are definitely keepers, 6 months in the making.

Edit: ugh, okay so a minor but definitely seconds issue with this. So, it looks like they ran some stitches in the wrong place, then pulled some out. So just a few random holes in the side of the shoe. Minor, but I've reached out to Allison. This shoe has been cursed...

Congratulations - those are really cool! You've got me thinking about a blucher or derby in unlined shell for myself. My walnut shell Daltons (which are also unlined) are one of my favorite pairs.

May I ask why you went with the Neumok rather than one of the other shortwing bals that AE offers? I assume you could have done unlined shell with any number of them. Just curious . . .

Also, did you happen to luck into a Horween stamp anywhere on the inside? Always a plus when that happens.
fing02[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads