1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garland

garland Senior member

Its because they are made in the DR.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Anyone familiar as to which last the Jos Bank Nathan is on?

3. ldibiasio

ldibiasio Member

Very nice always so tempted to buy these

4. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Mac, those are superb. Actually look a lot like the Alden Whiskeys that I am wearing right now when I look at my feet (at least color wise as I am wearing a full-strap loafer)...

-Mike

5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

That natural shell is mesmorizing...i thought that color would be a little boring at first, but after seeing pics of them in the wild, its easily my favorite shell color.

Im really digging the more caramel light brown tones of it more than the peanut butter light brown tones of the walnut.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  6. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Promontory Point boots again today - they really handle the snow/ice/slush we get every time it snows here in Denver. Ultimately, I like the mini-lug sole on the Aberdeens a bit better for snow, but the Dainite soles on the PP boots works quite well. One thing I like about it is that it doesn't get clogged with snow like the mini-lugs can:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. FistofFurySC

FistofFurySC Active Member

Good to finally find some "in the wild" pics of these boots. They look great. I've been contemplating picking up a pair for myself. How did you size for these?

8. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

I think the 97.

9. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Actually a concern I was having after seeing the IRL pics. I was planning on getting the DC Whiskeys. Seems a bit redundant though. At least the MacNeils will have eyelets. Thats enough of a difference right :)

10. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Question: Does the 7 last have a roomier toe area than the 5 last?

Thanks

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not in my exoerience. It's roomier in the waist, but then more aggressively tapered in the toe.

12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

+1, but I wear the same size in both.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

It's Friday so I had some fun with the Odenwalds
    [​IMG]

Chris

1 person likes this.
  14. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I stopped by the Madison and 44th St. store the other day and the SA (who was the manager) scoffed when I told him I like shoes in the 8 last, stating that, "they don't really talk in terms of lasts anymore." What does that even mean?

15. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

All lasts are created equal, you lastist, you. (Kidding, I have no idea what he meant.)

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

How odd. My exoerience with that store is that the SAs are generally less knowledgable than I am, except for Sergio, who is fantastic.

17. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I heard that from a store manager in NYC quite a few months ago. I think their stance is that even shoes made on the same last may fit differently, therefore they won't treat them the same. Might also be a way for SAs to have customers try different shoes. It's still undeniable that shoes on the same last have similar shapes, fit, etc, IMO.

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Good morning, sirs. It has been many a moon since I've logged into styleforum and specifically this thread. I have missed you all, but had to excuse myself for a bit because I was becoming a little too materialistic. I was spending an exorbitant amount of income on shoes and clothing and realized that I needed to scale back a bit. I regret missing out on the camaraderie within this thread, but the temptation was too great to buy more shoes when I read it. I'll have to read through the months of posts I've missed soon (a daunting task!)

I hope you've all been well and that 2015 is treating you kindly.

Now for a question: I recently got a sweet deal on a pair of Dalton firsts, but fear I have ruined them while stupidly trying to break them in while doing laundry. Somehow bleach splattered onto the toe of the right boot and did this...

[​IMG]

I took them to a local cobbler who told me nothing could be done. Any ideas? I'd hate to think I ruined them before ever wearing them in public.

19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Funny someone brought this up as I was going to post anyway. Absolutely agree. 7 last is weird for me. I find the toe box uncomfortably narrow almost but it widens as it goes out. Enough that I would avoid it from now on. 65 I have no issues with. I take the same size in both.

20. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

I wear an 8.5 in all other AEs, but wear a 9 in the Promontory Point boots. For 2 reason - the first is the cushioned insert in the boot. You could remove it but I think it has important insulating qualities for a winter boot. The other reason is that I wear thick socks with them (again, winter boot). If you took out the padded sole and wore regular socks, they'd fit like any other AE.

Oh, one thing about them - I cannot wear them with the top eyelet laced. The leather is so thick, that the top of the boot where the tongue meets the top sides of the boot rubs and irritates my shins like crazy. So I only lace to the second-to-last hole and have no issues at all with comfort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.